Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mambo

I have not been to any of the pre seasons so have never seen him except in a youth game 2-3 years ago when he was a lot younger than the other players and looked it at the time.

Just wondered from those that have seen him play whether they thought he had the ability to step into the team this season or would it be too early from him. He seems to have got some good reviews in certain games but sounded like he was outdone by a 41 year young Paul Furlong yesterday, which is understandable given the difference in experience.

Anyway, with only 1 CB signed up at the moment I wondered if he would be someone likely to get on the pitch a bit.

Comments

• Options
    If certian rumors I hear are true, then we are all set to sign a well know player on loan this week for the season in that posistion. Watch this space. I wont say who, but so just that I can brag when it comes off here are 2 clues.

1. It may not be the popular thing parky has ever done.

2. He will play against 2 of his former clubs this season.
  • Options
    Hmm - why not popular, Millwall player perhaps?
  • Options
    I thought Mambo looked solid yesterday but on occaision didn't seem to want to make the extra effort
  • Options
    From what I've seen of him he's generally solid, strong, good in the air but limited on the ball.

I doubt it'll be long until he makes his debut and will probably play a part. Don't think he's ready to play regularly yet. Never made any big mistakes when I've seen him, but that doesn't mean he can't improve or is good enough for the first team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CH4RLTON[/cite]If certian rumors I hear are true, then we are all set to sign a well know player on loan this week for the season in that posistion. Watch this space. I wont say who, but so just that I can brag when it comes off here are 2 clues.

I don't care if he'll be popular, is he any good???
  • Options
    He competed well yesterday, and certainly was the equal of Furlong (unlike Youga!)- won some good headers and gave reliable distribution - a mature performance overall. He has developed all round, even since the reserves and youth matches I saw him in last season. Hopefully Llera will have improved since Welling, but Mambo was way better than him then.
  • Options
    disagree about youga. Was covering the rest of the defence despite being out of position. Clearly fouled for first goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CH4RLTON[/cite]If certian rumors I hear are true, then we are all set to sign a well know player on loan this week for the season in that posistion. Watch this space. I wont say who, but so just that I can brag when it comes off here are 2 clues.

Put or shut up
  • Options
    My guess is Danny Mills formerly of Leeds and Norwich. Am I right and do I win a prize
  • Options
    Danny Mills doesn't have a club though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]My guess is Danny Mills formerly of Leeds and Norwich. Am I right and do I win a prize

He's a free agent so we wouldn't sign him on loan. Would be an ok signing but probably not a popular one.
  • Options
    True, does that make it even more likely ?
  • Options
    The seven subs on the bench rule enables players like Mambo to get more opportunities to be tested in real games, so expect him to be on the bench and come on with 15 mins to go if we are doing well.
  • Options
    Not popular bit means its a Palace player I guess.

Bored so looked at Wiki, Matt Lawrence?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: hudson-son-son[/cite]Not popular bit means its a Palace player I guess.

Bored so looked at Wiki, Matt Lawrence?

I will never hear the end of it from Palace supporting mates if we sign Matt Lawrence. No thank you.
  • Options
    Zak Whitbread? although think he may have only played for one other club not 2, he would be a good signing and rumours suggesting he is available. although probably would go to championship team, more wishful thinking then anything.

wats situation with darren ward is he available? thought he done alright last season
  • Options
    Zak Whitbread went from Liverpoool to Millwall and now wants out of Millwalll (seen the light ?). Would he want to go to Charlton...... ? I think it has to be Danny Mills as he is out of contract at moment !!
  • Options
    why would you sign a player out of contract on loan? thats what it says dumbo lol

Love you really paul :-P
  • Options
    Thanks John. You have blown my cover !! Not everyone is as intelligent as you mate. Maybe that other chap didn't realise.... bit worried we have no recognised defence and a striker or wouldn't go a miss... mind you didn't Mcleod score 22 goals for MK dons and Dickso score 11 goals for Gills.. so who knows...

I am praying god that we have only signed one centre half and one other defender.. midfield is looking fantastic......

Mcleod seems to have come back with something to proove (maybe that bad experience with Jackett has taught him a lesson). bit worried that Moutakill gets in 1st team at pompey on trial but cant even get into our team !! Mind you we need battlers next year.. wud he fit in that mould.. can see Danny Mills fit that though
  • Options
    Mills played for Norwich and Leeds so that's two former clubs in this league, and it might not be a popular decision. Can't see it happening though. He's mainly right back and we've just signed Richardson. Surely he'd want decent wages and we wouldn't pay good money for a right back to come in and play centre back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Matt Lawrence.

Unpopular as hes another Palace player on loan and apparently not very good and has played for Millwall and Wycombe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: hudson-son-son[/cite]Matt Lawrence.

Unpopular as hes another Palace player on loan and apparently not very good and has played for Millwall and Wycombe.

thought he was more a full-back than centre-half.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: hudson-son-son[/cite]Matt Lawrence.

thought he was more a full-back than centre-half.

Thought that as well.
  • Options
    Lawrence is a centre half.

Mambo looks like a good one for the future. Maybe a regular first team centre half in a couple of seasons.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Lawrence is a centre half.

Could well be him then if it's actually true, looking him up he played for Millwall and Wycombe. Played over 30 league games for Palace last season so surely good enough for League One for a season. What mart said really, more bothered about whether he's good or not rather than how popular he'd be. I'm sure Holland signing a new contract and playing regularly at centre back would be a much more popular decision but it wouldn't mean it's the right thing to do to move the club forward. In fact played a lot of games most seasons in his career so if we signed him would hopefully not have many problems with injuries even at his age (35 now).

As for Mambo yeah he might be a regular one day, depends how he develops. He's good physically for his age, but some young players don't have the ability or attitude to improve the rest of their game. Hopefully he does, has done well enough so far in his career.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]From what I've seen of him he's generally solid, strong, good in the air but limited on the ball.

I heard almost exactly the same word for word for old Roofus, and boy how he developed into one of our all time favs... So there's hope yet there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]From what I've seen of him he's generally solid, strong, good in the air but limited on the ball.

I heard almost exactly the same word for word for old Roofus, and boy how he developed into one of our all time favs... So there's hope yet there.

Of course, we all know that if he is any good he will be off to greener pastures like a shot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]ld well be him then if it's actually true, looking him up he played for Millwall and Wycombe. Played over 30 league games for Palace last season so surely good enough for League One for a season. What mart said really, more bothered about whether he's good or not rather than how popular he'd be. I'm sure Holland signing a new contract and playing regularly at centre back would be a much more popular decision but it wouldn't mean it's the right thing to do to move the club forward. In fact played a lot of games most seasons in his career so if we signed him would hopefully not have many problems with injuries even at his age (35 now).

From Wiki "His playing career was hindered at this stage by the shocking murder of his identical twin Stephen" - WTF ?

Anyway, no more Palace rejects !!
  • Options
    I'm not saying this about Mambo, but when John Cartwright was youth team coach, we got chatting about players being too young to play first team football, and he said 'well Pele played in a world cup final when he was 17'. This is not the world cup, just division three, but Mambo is not Pele!