Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Council Tax - Advise please - Concluded - NOT REALLY!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes, in a nutshell!!!
    Or they could have listened when I told them in January it had not been paid since last October!!!!
  • Options
    Things wrong with this country, number 731139
  • Options
    So It continues…I have been paying as agreed, every month without fail.
    I get a summons this morning from the Council for not paying my council tax.
    I finally get through on the phone, ‘I’ve been paying it every month’ I said, the council tax clerk says ‘no, you’ve been paying the arrears off, you have not paid this years’, I pointed out that we have an agreement that every month I pay over the odds and my arrears comes down until its paid off, ‘I don’t have a note on your file to that effect’ says Mrs Numpty. I said ‘Well I have a letter stating that this is the case’. She then says ‘I cant lift the summons you will have to explain it at the court’
    What a waste of everybodys time.

Bloody brilliant!!!
  • Options
    just send a copy of the letter recorded delivery to court clerk well in advance and ask if you still have to attend.
  • Options
    Bibble, have they still been sending you reminder letters about this year in the mean time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]‘I don’t have a note on your file to that effect’ says Mrs Numpty. I said ‘Well I have a letter stating that this is the case’. She then says ‘I cant lift the summons you will have to explain it at the court’

She's only paid to do her job - not reason with you, apply logic or common sense.

Anyway, she'll have other far more important priorities - quite possibly more concerned with what to make for dinner tonight and watching Eastenders.
  • Options
    Bexley kept sending us all sorts like this - it was for the bloke who lived at our place previously we eventually found out - who had moved on, and later passed on... the baliffs weren't interested whatsoever and insisted we prove who we were, yeah right as if..
  • Options
    I rent out houses, bloody nightmare with council tax and the huff uckers that dont pay.
    Seems its prison for you then me old china !!! Magistrates take no crap and are complete twats in my experience , they will say you didnt pay on purpose , you need a legal eagle with you and proof of your statements IF you go to court .
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thay have advised me to attend a 'Council Tax Surgery' tomorrow.
    I have had one council tax reminder last Thursday (I was working away) got the summons today.
    Last time I didn't even see the Magistrate, you meet with a council bod at the court, you admit liability (which is what the summons is about, I have never denied liability), they add £50 to your council tax bill, you agree the payment plan, then you go home having wasted everybodys time!!!
    Utterly pointless!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Try these tactics mate:

Council Tax
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everybody who has a brain and capable of thinking for themselves should take a look - what a brilliant site!

How about this, made me roar out aloud:

"So I'm summoned to a tribunal by the CSA this morning as my "lifestyle" does not match my income. Apparently. Of course, the hairs on the back of my neck are up as the State begins to ask me about how I fund my "lifestyle"

Judge Webster : Mr Holborn, how much is your mortgage and what is your house worth?
    OH: On who's authority are you asking?
    Judge Webster: I am a Judge
    OH: So show me your sworn oath, then I'll answer your questions
    Judge Webster: I don't have it here, but I did swear an oath to the Queen
    OH: Without that oath in court, you have no authority, do you?
    Judge Webster: I can have you removed, answer the questions
    OH: Go on then, I dare you. It'll be common assault. Clerk, please record that the "Judge" has just refused to identify herself or her authority to the court.
    Judge Webster: I'll just ignore you then
    OH: Clerk, please record that too.
    Judge Webster: Case adjourned. Get out.
    OH: One moment, about my expenses........

£24 travel expenses paid in cash.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Everybody who has a brain and capable of thinking for themselves should take a look - what a brilliant site!

How about this, made me roar out aloud:

"So I'm summoned to a tribunal by the CSA this morning as my "lifestyle" does not match my income. Apparently. Of course, the hairs on the back of my neck are up as the State begins to ask me about how I fund my "lifestyle"

Judge Webster : Mr Holborn, how much is your mortgage and what is your house worth?
    OH: On who's authority are you asking?
    Judge Webster: I am a Judge
    OH: So show me your sworn oath, then I'll answer your questions
    Judge Webster: I don't have it here, but I did swear an oath to the Queen
    OH: Without that oath in court, you have no authority, do you?
    Judge Webster: I can have you removed, answer the questions
    OH: Go on then, I dare you. It'll be common assault. Clerk, please record that the "Judge" has just refused to identify herself or her authority to the court.
    Judge Webster: I'll just ignore you then
    OH: Clerk, please record that too.
    Judge Webster: Case adjourned. Get out.
    OH: One moment, about my expenses........

£24 travel expenses paid in cash.

Fecking about with Judges is NOT a good idea, they have a lot more power than people realise.

My Dad used to work as a Clerk in the Court and he said that the Judges loved nothing more than sending mouthy chavs down for a spell in the cells for contempt of court.

If people don't show respect for a Judge then they are disrepecting our entire legal system and that is not on.
  • Options
    Just back from seeing the council at the council tax surgery.

Took my letter stating the agreement, 'Oh' he said, 'thats not the terms on my system....hmmm'.

He then added that two payments (April/May) were not made, I argued they were, he asked me for proof, I produced statements showing the standing orders from my bank. 'Oh' he said, 'its not showing up on your account....hmmm'. He added 'but we are very busy and the system has gone down a few times'.
    So the conclusion was summons cancelled, payment plan reinstated, letter of comformation on the way to me. So boys and girls, keep all the paperwork from these dinosaurs, without it they would have stitched me right up. Another waste of time, councils dont you just love ,em?????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Fecking about with Judges is NOT a good idea, they have a lot more power than people realise.

My Dad used to work as a Clerk in the Court and he said that the Judges loved nothing more than sending mouthy chavs down for a spell in the cells for contempt of court.

If people don't show respect for a Judge then they are disrepecting our entire legal system and that is not on.
    Au contraire. I think our legal system deserves nothing but disrespect. For the most part it absolutely stinks - and the vast majority of judges are still public school ponces so out of touch with real people that they make a mockery of 'justice'.
  • Options
    Moral of the story...

If it's not written down, it didn't happen....

Always ask for written confirmation when dealing with these faceless bureaucrats, when things go tits up they always deny everything even though 99.9% of the time it's their error...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Fecking about with Judges is NOT a good idea, they have a lot more power than people realise.

Au contraire. I think our legal system deserves nothingbutdisrespect. For the most part it absolutely stinks - and the vast majority of judges are still public school ponces so out of touch with real people that they make a mockery of 'justice'.

Maybe so Leroy but it is still a wise idea to behave yourself in court or you will find yourself in much deeper water than you would like or even need to be in.

My old man couldn't believe it sometimes that people would get warned by the Judge about their conduct and would push it and push it and end up copping a very nasty fine for COC and even some cell time as well.

Whatever problems you have with the legal system there is nothing to be gained by flouting the authority of a Judge in his court room - there is no way you can win that fight.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]

Au contraire. I think our legal system deserves nothingbutdisrespect. For the most part it absolutely stinks - and the vast majority of judges are still public school ponces so out of touch with real people that they make a mockery of 'justice'.

Maybe so Leroy but it is still a wise idea to behave yourself in court or you will find yourself in much deeper water than you would like or even need to be in.

My old man couldn't believe it sometimes that people would get warned by the Judge about their conduct and would push it and push it and end up copping a very nasty fine for COC and even some cell time as well.

Whatever problems you have with the legal system there is nothing to be gained by flouting the authority of a Judge in his court room - there is no way you can win that fight.
    No arguments there. the justice system may absolutely stink, but taking the piss with a judge is a bloody stupid thing to do.