Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonjo turns down Chelsea - The Times

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]If Fabian Delph is worth 6 mill, then JJ is worth 12 mill. One div higher debut * 2 * 6 =12.

There's no way Shelvey is worth more than Delph. Delph might have played at a lower level, but he has more experience and is a better all round player than Shelvey is at the moment. £4-5m is probably about right for Shelvey, and if he does go we should look to get a deal with add ons for future achievements - e.g England appearances, sell on fees etc.
  • Options
    Villa reported to have agreed a fee with Leeds for Delph.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fee for delph thought to be £6m. I'd say jonjo's worth a bit more than 3.25m, maybe that's the fee for his rumoured get out clause
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]Regarding JJ being a Hammerite, there was no-one more passionate about West Ham than Konch. Used to sit with his Mum & Dad at reserve away matches a few years back ( yes, then I DID get a life ! ) and they were all committed to the Club whilst obviously supporting their son at Charlton. Said his dream move would be to the Boleyn....

Didn't really work out for him though, did it ?

According to what I've been told his parents (particularly his father) was a bloody nuisance around the place and wasn't Curb's favourite person to say the least....he would often ply Curbs with questions, the answers to which were 'nothing' to do with him directly and bug him if his lad wasn't first on the team sheet every week etc etc.
  • Options
    The Guardian
    The prodigy who dared to turn down Chelsea

Jonjo Shelvey is a 17-year-old midfielder who became the youngest first-team player in Charlton Athletic's history towards the end of the 2007-08 season, and the club's youngest ever goalscorer last January. He stands 6ft 1in, plays box-to-box, as they say, and has represented England at Under-16 and
    Under-17 levels. And last week he turned down the chance to join Chelsea for a fee of £3.5m.

This is not because he wishes to pledge his life and soul to the Addicks. He knows well enough that he will be on his way out of south London and League One sooner rather than later. But Shelvey has come to the conclusion that the chance to share a dressing room at Chelsea's luxurious training ground with the likes of Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba is some way short of a guarantee that you are actually going to play alongside them in real matches. And he is willing to wait until West Ham, his preferred destination, can stump up a fee acceptable to his current employers.

I don't know if he canvassed the views of four young English players who must recently have felt they had a promising future at Stamford Bridge.
    Scott Sinclair, who is 20, ended last season on loan to his fifth club outside the Premier League. Tom Taiwo and Michael Woods were controversially signed from Leeds United in 2006, when they were 16. The former made four appearances for Port Vale last season and will start the new campaign on loan to Carlisle United. The latter made two FA Cup appearances as a substitute in January 2007 and has not been seen since. Jimmy Smith, who joined Chelsea's academy at the age of nine and is now 22, was loaned to three Championship clubs and has now joined Leyton Orient.

These are not uncommon stories. All young footballers who turn professional do so knowing that the failure rate is high, although few see themselves ending up among the discards. And no one, least of all those charged with nurturing them through their apprenticeship, wants to risk extinguishing their enthusiasm.

But it was interesting, hours after hearing of Shelvey's decision, to read the words of Frank Arnesen, who has just been rewarded by Roman Abramovich for his failure to bring a single young player through to regular membership of Chelsea's first team over the past four years by being elevated to the position of the club's sporting director.

In an interview with a paper in his native Denmark, Arnesen was at pains to discredit the belief that he had been expected to produce two players a year for the first-team squad, starting in 2007, two years after his appointment as head scout. "I don't know how that misunderstanding arose," he said. "You don't create talent on an assembly line. Patience is a virtue."

Patience has not been among Abramovich's cardinal characteristics when it comes to his first-team managers, but he appears ready to wait indefinitely for the club's £5m-a-year academy to bear fruit. Or perhaps he is just more comfortable spending big money on the acquisition and retention of players who are already famous, while paying lip-service to the idea of organic growth.

No prudent Premier League manager, let alone a member of the big four, would wish to overstock his first team with unseasoned talent. But if Sir Alex Ferguson can show faith in a Rafael da Silva or an Anderson (and hence in his own judgment) during their teenage years, and Arsène Wenger can bring through a Theo Walcott, a Jack Wilshere or a Kieran Gibbs, then it hardly seems excessive to expect something similar from Carlo Ancelotti. In that regard, the Italian's record at Milan, where experience was prized over youth and Paolo Maldini seems to have been the last player to emerge from the youth programme, may have influenced Shelvey's thinking. Nothing against Chelsea, you understand, but the young man's brave decision deserves a happy ending.
  • Options
    TRR I've never seen Fabian Delph, it was hubristic babble. If the deal is signed it certainly should have a large fee up front with extras coming along a specific points. But we all know we may not be in a position to negotiate this.
  • Options
    Kap

That article is a load of garbage, not least because the journalist has no quote whatsoever from JonJo, and simply assumes the Times article to be true. I've let off some steam in the comment column below it, and encourage everybody else to do the same.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]

That article is a load of garbage, not least because the journalist has no quote whatsoever from JonJo.

Umm.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Umm.

Sorry? Can I offer you a Strepsil?
  • Options
    Well i think ur being a tad Harsh Strepsil Addick, Jonjo's Uncle will back this article i'm sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't it Elvis Costello who sang, "I don't want to go to Chelsea"....... ?

Perhaps Jonjo could feature in a remix?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    time for some top songs about football clubs ...

Hymn From A. Villa(ge) - James
    (nottm) Forest Fire - Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
    Groove Is In The Hearts - Dee Lite
    (west bromwich) Albion - Baby Shambles
    The Man U Sold The World - Bowie

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=27902
  • Options
    (Charlton's relegation squad) Heroes - David Bowie
  • Options
    The reason they have no quote from Jonjo is because they have never spoken to him. They are using a 17 year lad to attack Chelsea's policies on playing young players. Whoever wrote it should be ashamed of themselves. If they want to attack Chelsea then do so by all means but dont hide behind a young lad finding his way in the game. At least have the dcency to try to find out his views before publishing shite
  • Options
    Kind of rubbish he'll have to read more & more of as his profile rises. Good job he's got his head screwed on!
  • Options
    More BS then. Thanks for clearing that up Uncle.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    My pleasure
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]More BS then. Thanks for clearing that up Uncle.

okay the article is bullshit but is the original story right ?
  • Options
    actually the article isn't bs, but uncle takes offence a story about Jonjo being used to front end it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]actually the article isn't bs, but uncle takes offence a story about Jonjo being used to front end it

Actually the article is BS. He never turned down an offer from Chelsea because there hasn't been an offer from Chelsae so how much more BS can you get. No i dont like someone using him to front their own agenda but such is life thats their choice. I will however point out when it is crap being written ... Thats my choice
  • Options
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    Interesting ....... but surely absolutely the wrong move for any English 17 year old.
  • Options
    Didn't know it was spelt Johnjo ;)
  • Options
    No idea what is says though !
  • Options
    In English it says:
    Shelvey
    13/08/2009 CLUB
    Last Minute
    Johnjo Shelvey about to sign

The Sport Lisboa e Benfica is about to sign contract with Johnjo Shelvey. Sources close to the process say that the agreement is to brief and presentation can now be done in the next game to be held in the Stadium of Light.
    The fans are euphoric and anxious to see Johnjo Shelvey the service of the bigger clubs in the world.
  • Options
    A loose translation of this is as follows:

Sporting Lisbon and Benfica are pressed to sign a contract to Jonjo Shelvey. Many near processes affirm that accordingly is between briefly to present the star that would be wanted next "jogo" to realise that the Stadium of Light.

Adapt to be a euphoric answer for truly Jonjo Shelvey or service to a major world club.

Does this help?
  • Options
    It's a wind-up, there was the same thing on a Notts Forest forum about 2 of there players and another one on a Millwall forum that they'd signed Whitbread.
  • Options
    Worryingly, that appears to be their official site?!
  • Options
    Thank god for that then!