Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Humbug - Arctic Monkeys

Anyone heard it yet?

Saw a fairly glowing review in Uncut but saying moving away from early style.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think a decent copy has leaked yet. I'll let you know
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    heard one track on the radio a couple of days ago - on that listening I thought it was a very disappointing, hopefully misleading!
  • Options
    I have heard it takes a few listens to get into it, bit short as well so I'm told
  • Options
    Talking about music magazines reminded me that I saw an article in 'The Word' last month with Ian Hunter - incredibly the guy is now 70! (and still making good music)
  • Options
    They did a live transmission on the web the other night, where they played some new album tracks, which i watched and it sounds quite promising. I think they're just developing their sound and it's good to see. There's still some original Artcic Monkeys sounds in there, with some clever lyrics. I think if you liked The Last Shadow Puppets you'll like the new album as it seems to be moving towards that kind of sound. Just shows how much control Turner is having over it all, a bit Like Noel Gallagher on the earlier Oasis albums.
  • Options
    Been listening to the album quite a bit lately, and think it's the bollocks, darker and mature. Turner is a fantastic song writer
  • Options
    crying lightning grows on you...
  • Options
    Wednesday 26th August 2009 - 6.30pm
    Arctic Monkeys + Very Special Guests
    O2 Brixton Academy, 211 Stockwell Road, Brixton, London, United Kingdom

Due to unallocated tickets becoming available we are pleased to announce we have some remaining tickets for this show. These will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Tickets are priced £27.50 + booking fee.

Tickets will go on-sale today (Monday 24th August) at 12 Noon GMT.

To purchase tickets, click the below ticket link:

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/1F00430C9D6D302F?did=ukfrfanps

IMPORTANT TERMS & CONDITIONS – PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING

Tickets are limited to 2 per person.
    The show is strictly 16+ and will require all entrants to bring a form of photographic I.D.(Passport, Driving License, National Identity Card).
    If you do not have a valid form of photo I.D. you will be refused entry to the venue.
    Each successful applicant must when entering the venue on the night have a valid form of photo I.D. which correlates to the name on the ticket.
    Each successful applicant must enter the venue with the person holding their second ticket. If the person with the second ticket is not with the successful applicant then that ticket will be invalidated.
    The reselling of these tickets is strictly prohibited and tickets will be invalidated.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Wednesday 26th August 2009 - 6.30pm

My son managed to get a couple of tickets for this.
  • Options
    We got tickets for this but seats . Anyone get standing tickets and fancy getting us into the standing area using the age old trick?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    You won't go wrong buying it, you know it's very different but you can still tell it's the boys from Sheffield. It's a quality album.
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Wednesday 26th August 2009 - 6.30pm

My son managed to get a couple of tickets for this.

I have a couple too, but they're in my mums name dammit.
  • Options
    heard 4 tracks from the album, you can really hear josh homme's influence, it's a lot more edgy... as an avid QOTSA and Homme fan (and an Arctic Monkeys fan as well) it sounds the nuts to me
  • Options
    I've only heard it once all the way through and I really didnt like it at all. I'll give it another go though.
  • Options
    I like it. Despite the obvious QoTSA influences it reminds me of The Smiths (circa: Louder than Bombs) in many places. The drums are heavy the guitars are more languid than before the sound is slightly more menacing that we are used to. Turners lyrics are superb neatly woven lines ("What came first the chicken or the dickhead?" - Pretty visitors) that drift in and out of the sound.

I actually didn't rate the second album as much as everyone else did but this one has been slagged off already by some, which is a shame as I think there are some real growers on there. The only thing with Humbug is there is a get up and dance/jump up and down tune, but to be honest, this album is a welcome relief to the 80's style dross thats shi*ting in my ears every time I turn the radio on at the moment.
  • Options
    queens of the stone age are one of my favorite bands so I'm going to have to give this album a go.
  • Options
    Got a ticket for brixton gig.

Rumoured support is Them Crooked Vultures. New band consisting of josh homme, dave grohl and john paul jones.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]Got a ticket for brixton gig.

Rumoured support is Them Crooked Vultures. New band consisting of josh homme, dave grohl and john paul jones.

no way. ive heard of superband but that would take the mick.
  • Options
    Listened once and really like it, everyone has got it spot on with the influences here. A definite direction they needed to go. Personal fave at the moment is track 3, Dangerous Animals
  • Options
    with you on dangerous animals , had the album a few weeks now and that is one heavy tune with some great drumming by Helders .

Looking forward to wednesday and also going to Reading festival saturday to see them
  • Options
    tcv confirmed as support, due on stage at 730
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm just about all packed for Reading now, looking forward to seeing them Saturday night. TCV strongly rumoured to be playing on the Saturday anyone know if they definitely are?
  • Options
    Im not being funny, but how can the Monkeys follow Prodigy at Reading, ridiculous.
  • Options
    TCV were great last night. First time i'd properly seen grohl play drums and he didn't dissapoint.

Monkeys were quality, did mix of all three albums, but obviously mostly humbug stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    didn't like tcv at all
  • Options
    Enjoyed the monkeys set last night and they have defo got a bit heavier live.

Looking forward to Reading Saturday but agree with tim on the prodigy thing , arctics could still be the headline act but not play last