Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You couldn't make it up - part 2

Daily Telegraph, 4th August 2009

A mother has been told to pay an £86 penalty for staying too long at the side of her dead baby’s coffin following a funeral service at a crematorium.

Terrie Rouse, 32, was encouraged by her vicar to spend an extra 10 minutes “to say goodbye” to her 5-week old son Zane, who had died in her arms from sudden infant death syndrome.

However, she was unaware that crematorium officials impose an extra charge if a funeral overruns its allotted 30-minute slot, and was given the charge by the council.

The child’s father, Lee Smythe, said the charges imposed by Milton Keynes council were “disgusting”. “Terrie was weeping hysterically”, he said. “She just wanted a few extra minutes to say goodbye to our much-loved little boy. How could anyone be cruel enough to charge for this?”….

The charge for staying 10 minutes too long was almost three times as much as the bill for the cremation.

The family’s funeral directors, Masons of Bletchley, said that the next funeral at the crematorium was not due for 50 minutes.

A council spokesman said: “We understand this has been a distressing time for this family but we are willing to listen if there are difficulties and extenuating circumstances that need to be considered”.

How nice of them!!

Comments

• Options
    unbelievable !!
  • Options
    this once great country goes downhill, a little more, each day.
  • Options
    I would go round there with a can of petrol and and a box of matches the heartless bstds and give them their own crematorium

how utterly disgusting do people have no common sense ofr compassion

WHY THE FECK DO YOU THINK SHE WAS STAYING THERE TO HAVE A CHAT AND A FAG WITH DORIS FROM NUMBER
  • Options
    That sounds like the plastic Milton keynes I know and love!! A gentle request to Vicar / Funeral Comapny / Freinds to move her on would have been more than adequate.
  • Options
    I despair of the way this country has declined sometimes yet people defend these heartless Nazis!

They exist for OUR BENEFIT not the other way round!

I'm not a violent person but I'm with NLA on this one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I would go round there with a can of petrol and and a box of matches the heartless bstds and give them their own crematorium
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I despair of the way this country has declined sometimes yet people defend these heartless Nazis!

Yes, some idiot has incepted a procedure without thinking it through and he/she should be severely disciplined and no end of apology to the bereaved. But, I do get concerned at the lynchmob mentality - it was a very, very stupid cock up but that hardly warrants burning people alive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I would go round there with a can of petrol and and a box of matches the heartless bstds and give them their own crematorium
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I despair of the way this country has declined sometimes yet people defend these heartless Nazis!

Yes, some idiot has incepted a procedure without thinking it through and he/she should be severely disciplined and no end of apology to the bereaved. But, I do get concerned at the lynchmob mentality - it was a very, very stupid cock up but that hardly warrants burning people alive.

As a son of a Fire Officer I would not LITERALLY burn somebody alive and I doubt NLA would either.

The point as far as I am concerned is that these little Hitlers are not accountable to the public they exist to serve and indeed expect us to adapt our behaviour for their convenience.

The person responsible should be named and shamed in my view. Others of that ilk may then show more sensitivity to the people they serve if only to avoid a similar fate.
  • Options
    I'm sure you wouldn't either so I don't understand why it was said. I'm driven here, as I mentioned before, through concern of growing vigilanty type comments/behaviour in the Uk today.

Naming and shaming I would totally agree with in this instance . People should be made accountable for their stupidity but let the punishment fit the crime.
  • Options

how utterly disgusting do people have no common sense ofr compassion

WHY THE FECK DO YOU THINK SHE WAS STAYING THERE TO HAVE A CHAT AND A FAG WITH DORIS FROM NUMBER

They'd probably end up fining you for not carrying a flammable liquid in the appropriate vessel and not having the correct HazChem handling licence NLA
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]

Help yourself to a dose of realism anytime you fancy Fella. I dont think they were in any way serious.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nottsaddick[/cite]I'm sure you wouldn't either so I don't understand why it was said. I'm driven here, as I mentioned before, through concern of growing vigilanty type comments/behaviour in the Uk today.

Naming and shaming I would totally agree with in this instance . People should be made accountable for their stupidity but let the punishment fit the crime.

I share your concerns re vigilantism (if there is such a word).

However one way of assuaging our concerns would be for "authority" in general and the police in particular to address issues and crimes which concern the decent silent majority rather than a politically correctness driven box ticking culture.

Just my opinion. Vigilantism is borne of frustration and impotence and arrogant governments and local authorities ignoring and abusing decent, hardworking ordinary people fuel it.
  • Options
    It's in the press so it must be the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
  • Options
    i am sure they would run out of the office screaming before i set fire to the room
  • Options
    It's evident here that the main priority of that council (maybe others too...?) is to compassionately employ
    the non-thinking classes.

That little jobsworth punching their way through their mundane day was only doing their job as dictated by their duty list.
    It's not their job to actually think and consider the implications of what they are doing.

Councils need to increase revenue at all costs - so a manager in a position of authority must have actually approved the concept of applying punitive charges in the first place?
  • Options
    Sure, but I guess they need to as - sad as it is to those involved - there is likely to be a number of services taking place in the day, so they need to be in a position to finish one at a particular time and start another. I'm not sure that - once you get past the knee jerk reaction - that anything too outrageous has gone on here. The story, in typical Mailograph fashion doesn't really go into detail about what happened and why the bill was issued. The council bloke says that they'd be happy to discuss the matter, which would seem a more appropriate response (in the first instance at least) than preparing a press release and getting everybody frothed up and ready to burn the witches. Bonkers Britain.