Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

GOOGLEMAIL

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
My wife has got a googlemail account but the inbox etc looks rubbish as it lumps all related sent and received items together so when you have a long chain of emails it takes ages to find the correct one to go back on. She wants to know if there is an easy way to change the view so that you just have inbox and sent box separately and so that they do not link messages together !!!!
I cant access google mail at work - can anyone send me easy instructions that i can text to her - i presume there is a filter called VIEW or SETTINGS but without getting into the site i just dont know.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Gmail handles mail differently to most mail clients. Mail is treated as 'conversations' as opposed to individual sent & received mail - which makes it easier to keep track of if you're sad enough to have mail conversations that go on for about thirty messages, but a pain in the arse if you're not. One way to do it would be to set up gmail to send to a 'real' mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird etc) but this may be beyond her capabilities. You can click on the 'Sent Items' link in the left hand side of the gmail interface - which will allow you to view only sent mail - but having not used it for years I don't know if there is a way to 'unthread' mail conversations
  • Options
    Gmail separates inbox/sent mail into different folders.

This sounds like she is bcc'ing herself on all emails sent (ie. sending a copy of all emails sent to yourself as well) - I believe there is an option under preferences/options where this can be switched off. On my iPhone the option is called "Always Bcc Myself". Try switching this off.

Gmail's search facility is excellent for finding specific emails.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Gmail handles mail differently to most mail clients. Mail is treated as 'conversations' as opposed to individual sent & received mail - which makes it easier to keep track of if you're sad enough to have mail conversations that go on for about thirty messages, but a pain in the arse if you're not. One way to do it would be to set up gmail to send to a 'real' mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird etc) but this may be beyond her capabilities. You can click on the 'Sent Items' link in the left hand side of the gmail interface - which will allow you to view only sent mail - but having not used it for years I don't know if there is a way to 'unthread' mail conversations

Ah, perhaps I misunderstood the query. If the 'conversations' type view is the problem, well that's an intentional feature. It lumps all related emails in the same place, which I would regard as a good thing! I'm sure you can collapse all the emails in a particular email thread and scroll to the last one.
  • Options
    I use Gmail through windows mail as Leroy mentioned.No problems.
  • Options
    There is an option 'settings' in the top right hand corner. If you click on that and then select 'Labels' it displays a screen that might allow you to show/hide the 'inbox' as opposed to the 'all mail box'. Not sure this works as my 'inbox' seems to be shown by default and you can't change it.
  • Options
    cheers all -will have alook when I get home.
  • Options
    Place any ongoing convo's in a current folder?