Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ronnie Biggs - out

Comments

• Options
    Had to laugh at the last two sentences of that statement from Straw!
  • Options
    about time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]about time

Why has he served his 30yr sentence then?
  • Options
    Can all prisioners now pick their years they want to do inside ?
  • Options
    People shouldn't forget Jack Mills, the driver severely injured in the Great Train Robbery, so Biggs deserved to serve a substantial stretch.

When you look at some of the scumbags that have been released on parole, only to subsequently reoffend, having served considerably less time in prison one wonders how they justify keeping Biggs in as long as they did.

I suspect the answer is twofold. Firstly money and property crime always seems to attract a tougher sentence than violent crime against the person and secondly they got the hump because he escaped and wanted to exact revenge.
  • Options
    he has actually now served more time inside than any of the other Train robbers. How very strange that none of the human rights mafia have been screaming on his behalf ? i wonder why ? He is fed via a tube , cant speak and cant walk , yes better to keep him locked up while leting some gansta street scum thug out (thats if they get sent down at all).
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]about time[/quote]

Why has he served his 30yr sentence then?[/quote]

He is dying at least let him die with his family
  • Options
    I wonder how much he has payed into our country in the last 50/60 years?
    Net taker or giver?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]about time

Why has he served his 30yr sentence then?

He is dying at least let him die with his family

Well if he hadn't done the decent (ahem!) thing and given himself up in order to make money and let us pay for his health care he would have been with his family anyway.
  • Options
    whats how much he paid into the UK got to do with it ? there are about 3/4 million who have come into the Uk in the last couple years geting the full NHS benifits without paying a penny ever in, dont see to many kicking up about that tho. Dont you think he is geting 24/7 care even on the inside ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    about time wot people do nowadays and the time they serve is a total joke the system is a joke and has been 4 years good luck to biggs .
  • Options
    Yeah goonerhater and most of them pay more taxes than the millions of useless white Britons who never work, never contribute and clog up the system with their fat clubs. Personally i couldn't care who is let in as long as they work. I just wish we could kick out the useless works shy lot.

Anyways Biggs had to serve his time, rightly sentenced or not. But on a human level I'm glad he's out and for compassionate reasons and it should have happened earlier.
  • Options
    The Great Train Robbery was not only a property crime. Biggs was a member of a violent gang. He got caught, got sentenced and then escaped from HMP Wandsworth. He then made a load of money in South America sticking two fingers up at British coppers and the British Criminal Justice System. When he became unwell he decided to give himself up and get treatment on the NHS. The Prison Service has a policy of releasing terminally ill prisoners so in their last few days and I think it is right to do so in this case.

We tend to look back at 50s & 60s criminal thinking that they were Jack the lad criminal who "only hurt their own", which is a load of old b*****ks. The Krays became folk heroes, modern day Robin Hoods when in fact they were psycopaths.
  • Options
    When we've got a certain evil scumbag by the name of paul gadd wandering the country, I think the goverment should get real with whose dangerous and not who embarassed them the most.
  • Options
    Paul Gadd was arrested and imprisoned in Vietnam. When he was released he came back to this country and had to sign the Sex Offender Register. Not sure what this has to do with Biggs who was sentenced in this country.
  • Options
    Ronnie did wrong, he knows that and admitted that.......

yes he did stick to fingers up to the authority, and yes the Goverment at the time wanted to make an example of him and the other robbers!

I cannot see how keeping the guy in Jail does any good what so ever, for him or society......

Should have been released years ago, and persuaded to tell young tearaways that crime although at times 'glamorous' or appears to be is NOT the right thing to do.

The home office could have cut a deal with him, who knows one person may have been persuaded!

Essentially an old man, I am glad he is coming out to die with his family
  • Options
    I agree, I am glad he is being released to die with his family it is the humane thing to do. However, firstly the government do not set sentences, it is done by the judiciary. Secondly the Secretary of State in this case cannot cut a deal as you put it. The release of an offender is decided by the Parole Board (an independent body which is funded by the MOJ) or they are released at a mid point in their sentence if it is deemed appropriate. The Secretary of State can release prisoners on compassionate grounds, but, only in exceptional circumstances asin this case. Thirdly,I would think it would be difficult for him to show young tearaways that crime doesn't pay when he spent so many years sitting by a pool in Brazil
  • Options
    It's a catch twenty-two for Straw. What do you do, let a high profiled dying man wither away in prison, or make sure he serves his sentence for his crime. There is never an answer to please all, and while he is no longer a threat to society you have to wonder if he is rehabilitated. Every man deserves their human rights, now we can just give him privacy and allow him to spend the little time he has left with those that he means a lot to.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]Paul Gadd was arrested and imprisoned in Vietnam. When he was released he came back to this country and had to sign the Sex Offender Register. Not sure what this has to do with Biggs who was sentenced in this country.

So who in you opinion is more dangerous, Biggs, who cant even pi55 for himself (but stuck 2 fingers up to the establishment) or gadd, who wasnt sentenced in this country doing who knows (but he did sign a bit of paper so its all right)?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]Paul Gadd was arrested and imprisoned in Vietnam. When he was released he came back to this country and had to sign the Sex Offender Register. Not sure what this has to do with Biggs who was sentenced in this country.

So who in you opinion is more dangerous, Biggs, who cant even pi55 for himself (but stuck 2 fingers up to the establishment) or gadd, who wasnt sentenced in this country doing who knows (but he did sign a bit of paper so its all right)?
    What, in your opinion is more dangerous, allowing violent criminals to serve sentences shorter than they deserve, perpetuating the belief that you-can-get-away-with-it; or keeping tabs on sex offenders?

In reality, the two are entirely unrelated. Biggs is a dangerous, violent, self-centred, selfish villain, who chose notoriety until it suited him to begin to serve a short sentence. Gadd is a sex offender, guilty of crimes at home and abroad and has served the whole of each of his sentences.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]whats how much he paid into the UK got to do with it ? there are about 3/4 million who have come into the Uk in the last couple years geting the full NHS benifits without paying a penny ever in, dont see to many kicking up about that tho. Dont you think he is geting 24/7 care even on the inside ?

In my opinion its got a lot to do with it.
    He returned to this country wanting treatment for his poor health after years taking the pee out of all law abiding tax paying people of this country.
    I do know what care he has received since his return (maybe better than most on this board) and its as good as and may be better than most countries.
    The 3/4 million or what ever the real figure is have the potential to pay a penny in unlike Biggs who only ever wanted to take and not earn.
    He may well be a sick old man now but he choose his life style, and now he's going to die age going on 80 with his family around him.
    I would say he has lived a long life and in latter years done well out of this country that he cared little for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]

What, in your opinion is more dangerous, allowing violent criminals to serve sentences shorter than they deserve, perpetuating the belief that you-can-get-away-with-it; or keeping tabs on sex offenders?

In reality, the two are entirely unrelated. Biggs is a dangerous, violent, self-centred, selfish villain, who chose notoriety until it suited him to begin to serve a short sentence. Gadd is a sex offender, guilty of crimes at home and abroad and has served the whole of each of his sentences.

Oh come on Chizz, I dont partically want to buy biggs a pint but I'd willing smack gadd straight in the mouth.
    Biggs WAS dangerous, gadd IS dangerous. And I'm sure your aware that Biggs was not charged with murder or manslaughter but his part in the train robbery.
    I'm not disbuting Biggs should have gone back to prison on his return here. But hey we'll have to agree to disagree on if he should have been kept in at the later stages, because he showed no remorse (Jack Straws words) but surely the likelyhood of re offending were/are nil not because he never said sorry.
  • Options
    But he was cleared for release by the Parole board jack straw did not free him as he had not shown 'regret' for his crime.

It is also well known that the Goverment at the time, with the Porfumo affair and other establishment scandals wanted to surppress the rather Robin Hood atmosphere at the time I was young but do remember many thought that the robbers although 'cheeky' and sorry for the driver of the train rather 'heroic'. Biggs also played a rather minor role in the robbery, and was not the Mr Big, or even like Bruce Reynolds one of the organisers.

The sentences were generally regarded as excessive, remember Ernest Saunders! and his alleged illness in later years!

The fact that he returned to England because he missed the british way off life, and did return of his own will. To me that shows that he realised that in the end he wanted forgiveness, and albeit in Brazil his health was suffering and thought he would return for a few years then write books about his exploits. There are plenty of 'criminals' abroad lazying around swimming pools,not sure Biggs had a wonderful life towards the end rather squalid by some accounts, and rather mundane, unless the tourists and papers were around to stage a 'photo event'.

The question you have to answer is would you be happy to live next door to Biggs or Gadd, to me Biggs is a sad old man, others have commentated what Gadd is.......
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    "The fact that he returned to England because he missed the british way off life, and did return of his own will. To me that shows that he realised that in the end he wanted forgiveness, and albeit in Brazil his health was suffering and thought he would return for a few years then write books about his exploits."

That was big of him. He wanted to come back say sorry and profit from his crimes over here instead of Brazil.
  • Options
    Christ, there's a lot of self- righteous sods around.
  • Options
    That was big of him. He wanted to come back say sorry and profit from his crimes over here instead of Brazil.......
    Well look at Smiths.... all the MP's biographies, Bankers, and ex civil servants, spies, coppers and so on.

Even Slipper cashed in on his exploits the poor copper who tried to nick Biggs.

As the 'experts' on Newsnight claimed the sentance was excessive, and Straw wanted a bit of popularity. The medical evidence of Biggs was known 5 weeks ago, he made a misjudment should have agreed to sanction the original parole board directive. Apparently his own brother has made a 'mistake' in the past, perhaps he gave him the nod.

Will we ever be able to sleep safely in our beds again because of Biggs! on the loose, and free to run amoke.......not sure the poor bugger will last the weekend!
  • Options
    f*ck him, couldn't give a toss about the bloke. Shouldn't have been let out in my opinion. Never apologetic for what he did, if anything the opposite. Parasite.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]f*ck him, couldn't give a toss about the bloke. Shouldn't have been let out in my opinion. Never apologetic for what he did, if anything the opposite. Parasite.
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]f*ck him, couldn't give a toss about the bloke. Shouldn't have been let out in my opinion. Never apologetic for what he did, if anything the opposite. Parasite.

Ha ha ha!