Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help! Golf stuff........

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
I am due to play golf this afternoon with some important clients.

How the hell do you decide which club to use at which part of the course? I know you putt with the putter & tee off with the big one - but when woudl you use a 3 iron or a 5 wood?

I'm not bad at the game & can hack my way round - but club selection? Any rules of thumb?

Comments

• Options
    LOL Oakster - Just go straight to the 19th hole I'd say.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I am due to play golf this afternoon with some important clients.

How the hell do you decide which club to use at which part of the course? I know you putt with the putter & tee off with the big one - but when woudl you use a 3 iron or a 5 wood?

I'm not bad at the game & can hack my way round - but club selection? Any rules of thumb?
    Do what I do. Take a long look at the fairway ahead; think for a moment; throw up a bit of grass to see which way the wind's blowing; look at the lie of the ball; think for a moment, then say "seven iron from here I think". Repeat for every shot until you reach the green.
  • Options
    strap your finger up.
    turn up.
    apologise that you wont be able to play.
    volunteer to caddie for one of them.
    get the first round in the 19th.

you save face by not letting them see how shite you are, whilst showing how loyal you are by caddying hence sealing the deal.

thank me later.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]strap your finger up.
    turn up.
    apologise that you wont be able to play.
    volunteer to caddie for one of them.
    get the first round in the 19th.

you save face by not letting them see how shite you are, whilst showing how loyal you are by caddying hence sealing the deal.

thank me later.

I like it! This is one of the hardest courses in Canada as well........

When the game of golf is played on a course carved out of original Rockies terrain, something fundamental changes. There is a mystery built in. Not just the practical question of where the ball will land, but how will you ever return to urban golf after a magical mountain golfing experience like the one at Silvertip Golf Course.

Designed by world renowned architect Les Furber, the course plays from an approachable 5,089 yards to an awesome championship 7,173 yards, with over 600 feet of elevations change, making it the single most breathtaking mountain course in the world for literally any level of play.

Jesus wept!
  • Options
    a bit different to Cray Valley then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]a bit different to Cray Valley then?

£95 per person for 18 holes - how does that compare to the UK? - 2pm tee time.
  • Options
    a bit toppy compared to the UK, but the course sounds stupendous, and sounds worth every penny. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]a bit toppy compared to the UK, but the course sounds stupendous, and sounds worth every penny. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I'm off up the practise range now - precisely 12 months since i hit a golf ball - I'll at least get a feel for it before the ordeal commences!
  • Options
    I play off about 20 and can hit a 7 iron 150 yards, so if you take that as a marker and every additional 15 yards drop a club and vice versa you should be about right.
  • Options
    I want an update from Oakster!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]I want an update from Oakster!!

Just out the door now....there's a live webcam of the final hole here

I'll be the bloke wading around chest deep in the pond looking for my ball, having lost the other 2 dozen i'm taking with me in the bushes :(
  • Options
    jesus wept....i'm glad i'm not in the 4-ball with you.

You havn't played all year and don't know which club to use after teeing off..........guys like you shouldn't be allowed to play and also the reason why most courses in the UK which charge £95 + per round usually insist on seeing a handicap certificate, as it shows you are a member of a club and at lesat know which end of a club to hold.

If it were any other sport, would you agree to play if you a) didn't know what equipment to use or b) didn't know the rules?........no, probably not.

This is the main reason why I havn't bothered joining the CharltonLife golf society days that have been recently held here at Birchwood (a stone throws from my house)........spend 4 hours with a butch of numptys who havn't a clue how to play.
  • Options
    Ouch golfaddick i was right with you till you called everyone numptys. Surely it aint that bad!!I was gonna play in the next one ... But i wished you had said bunch instead of butch it holds more weight lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]jesus wept....i'm glad i'm not in the 4-ball with you.

You havn't played all year and don't know which club to use after teeing off..........guys like you shouldn't be allowed to play and also the reason why most courses in the UK which charge £95 + per round usually insist on seeing a handicap certificate, as it shows you are a member of a club and at lesat know which end of a club to hold.

If it were any other sport, would you agree to play if you a) didn't know what equipment to use or b) didn't know the rules?........no, probably not.

This is the main reason why I havn't bothered joining the CharltonLife golf society days that have been recently held here at Birchwood (a stone throws from my house)........spend 4 hours with a butch of numptys who havn't a clue how to play.

LOL

I actually had a great time, the other guys are fun to be with - I managed 58 out & 58 back - holed a 30 yard chip on the last hole, an amazing shot becuase the green is so slanted - i think i have an aptitude for the game but that will be it for another 12 months or so.

I did notice a few saddoes/weirdos moaning on in the club house to the staff about technical stuff, all taking it far too seriously & also noticeably by themselves- i safely assume you would be one of those types Golfie me old mucker :-)
  • Options
    good news mate....

I can highly recommend the inner london golf course in Tooting if you are looking for the complete opposite to a mountian extreme genius experience ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]jesus wept....i'm glad i'm not in the 4-ball with you.

i would go just to annoy folks with your attitude you golf snob