Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worthing - what's it like?

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
Am going to see a client down that way tomorrow and was thinking of taking the family down there for the day so that while I'm off doing my thing they can have a mosey about.

Is that a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Run of the mill seaside town with a shopping centre near the front, not much sand on the beach -more pebbles, further in it's all rather sleepy and quiet (which depending on mood is not always bad).
  • Options
    Yes.

There's a pier; 18th century Castle Goring; the Archbishop's palace (sorry) in Tarring; Durrington Windmill; Worthing Museum (one of the largest costume and textile collections in the country); and lots of pretty open spaces. There's also (allegedly) a number of canabis cafes in the town!
  • Options
    It's a very drab commuter town with not much going for it. The only decent pubs are in Tarring village to the West of the town. Town itself is all carpet warehouses and rough Yates's type pubs. Pebble beach as with everything in the Sussex bay (Rye to Selsey). Used to be a load of cannabis cafes in the town, but I believe the police shut the last one down about a year ago. Still quite a lawless element to town, it's seen as the prostitution capital of East & West Sussex (with more hookers than nearby Brighton despite being a third the size). Don't want to be off-putting, but unless it's specifically a beach or pier you're after, I'd personally travel the extra 10 miles to Arundel, a lovely market town with a Medieval castle and river paths.
  • Options
    T'was a long time (about 8 years since I last visited, have a soft spot for the place as my late Grandparents lived there) it could either be much better than I remember it or it could be like a mini Brighton (infested with home grown vegetable fibre sandle wearing hippies smoking bongs everywhere).
  • Options
    If that's practical (dropping them off in Arundel while you do Worthing) I mean, if not they'll pretty much have to make do with the beach - which if they like beaches I'm sure they'll enjoy - as most of the other attractions Chizz mentions are a drive away from the town anyway.
  • Options
    Arundel Castle is great fun.
  • Options
    Cheers folks.

A beach is pretty much all I was thinking of anyway - so it really depends on the weather anyway. Is it worth going a bit further down to Littlehampton for that? (The place I'm going to is between the two)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Cheers folks.

A beach is pretty much all I was thinking of anyway - so it really depends on the weather anyway. Is it worth going a bit further down to Littlehampton for that? (The place I'm going to is between the two)
    This may be a little off-topic, but does anyone else find the name "Littlehampton" amusing?
  • Options
    One of the worst seaweed infested beaches I've ever seen last time I was there.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Cheers folks.

This may be a little off-topic, but does anyone else find the name "Littlehampton" amusing?

Why should it be amusing?

My wife calls me Littlehampton as a pet name.

No idea why.

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Littlehampton is where to go. Its also where they filmed a classic Inbetweeners episode where they go boating at 'Swanage'
  • Options
    Ha ha!

The name "Hampton Court" always makes me think of a place where naughty pricks get hung out to dry!
  • Options
    I live in Shoreham which is 4 miles from Worthing and that is where my office is. It is an OK Town but suffering the Crunch in the town centre with Shops closing down apace. The Pier is Ok with a 2p slot arcade which my 13 yo adores, the Beaches are pebbly and as someone has accurately pointed out prone to seaweed.

Really excellent restaurant with a £5 menu at lunch called "FOOD" easily found on the net and parking is a dream at 40p for 4 hours in the street and abundant multi storeys etc.

If you wake up tomorrow and the weather is fine then give it a go....its not unpleasant and we need to up the number of Addicks here though there is an active W Sussex Branch!!

Hope this helps

Stuart
  • Options
    Cheers mate. The forecast for tomorrow ain't the greatest but we're going for it anyway.

If anyone down that way happens to see a fella changing from a suit into t-shirt and shorts in a car at around lunch time be sure to give me a wave!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Absolutely nothing to do with the question but the mention of Worthing always reminds me of a little incident in 1964. My rocker pals and myself headed in the general direction of Brighton on the August bank holiday for the now infamous confrontation with the mods. Starting from Johnson's caff on the A20 we somehow got the route confused and ended up riding into Worthing. from the north via a pleasant country road (now the 4-lane A27I believe). As we neared the town centre we noticed people lining the streets and there was absolutely no other traffic to be seen. The further our Triumphs. BSAs and Nortons went, the thicker the crowds got and people started clapping and waving so we slowed down and waved back: a couple of my chums showed off with a few riding tricks etc.: the crowd loved it! We saw a sign to Brighton and off we went still waving and revving our engines. Then lo and behold some gentlemen of the constabulary appeared, pulled us over and enquired as to what we were up to. We explained we had got lost and were heading for Brighton. 'Not today you're not lads, turn round and go home'. They also explained that it was Worthing Carnival Day and the crowds were there to see all the floats and brass bands etc. and they must have thought we were part of it. So coppers being coppers they just turned us round and sent us back the way we had come, past the crowds again: more waving and silly riding but fortunately we didn't meet a float 'til we were nearly out of the town. We still managed to find Brighton, and in time for the punch-up: but that's another story! But from what I saw of it, Worthing looked very nice but haven't been back since!
  • Options
    And the answer to my original question is : it's bloody grey, windy and cold - of course!

Typical. I fookin hate the weather in this country sometimes!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Absolutely nothing to do with the question but the mention of Worthing always reminds me of a little incident in 1964. My rocker pals and myself headed in the general direction of Brighton on the August bank holiday for the now infamous confrontation with the mods. Starting from Johnson's caff on the A20 we somehow got the route confused and ended up riding into Worthing. from the north via a pleasant country road (now the 4-lane A27I believe). As we neared the town centre we noticed people lining the streets and there was absolutely no other traffic to be seen. The further our Triumphs. BSAs and Nortons went, the thicker the crowds got and people started clapping and waving so we slowed down and waved back: a couple of my chums showed off with a few riding tricks etc.: the crowd loved it! We saw a sign to Brighton and off we went still waving and revving our engines. Then lo and behold some gentlemen of the constabulary appeared, pulled us over and enquired as to what we were up to. We explained we had got lost and were heading for Brighton. 'Not today you're not lads, turn round and go home'. They also explained that it was Worthing Carnival Day and the crowds were there to see all the floats and brass bands etc. and they must have thought we were part of it. So coppers being coppers they just turned us round and sent us back the way we had come, past the crowds again: more waving and silly riding but fortunately we didn't meet a float 'til we were nearly out of the town. We still managed to find Brighton, and in time for the punch-up: but that's another story! But from what I saw of it, Worthing looked very nice but haven't been back since!

Class, LOL