Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anybody out there busy

TELTEL
edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
For me, things took a nose dive in November last year and have steadily gotten worse. But this month so far really takes the biscuit, I cant believe how quiet its become...Ive even had to put my staff on a 3 day week from next week...people just dont seem to be ordering/spending.

Anyone out there got any good news?

Comments

• Options
    yes. i had sex last night!
  • Options
    I'm so busy at work I dunno where to begin next at the moment, showing no signs of letting up either at the moment. I suspect it will only get worse (or better - depending on how you look at it)

could be recruiting shortly..
  • Options
    Back from uni and working for the council. So I'm never busy.
  • Options
    very busy but getting a deal away and money in the bank is like pulling teeth.
  • Options
    I'm a lawyer over here. People keep fighting about things, so it's always busy in my world, summer or not, slowdown or not. Sometimes it's tough, but of course it beats the alternative...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]For me, things took a nose dive in November last year and have steadily gotten worse. But this month so far really takes the biscuit, I cant believe how quiet its become...Ive even had to put my staff on a 3 day week from next week...people just dont seem to be ordering/spending.

What do you work as?

[cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]I'm so busy at work I dunno where to begin next at the moment, showing no signs of letting up either at the moment. I suspect it will only get worse (or better - depending on how you look at it)

So busy that you're on Charlton Life..............
  • Options
    Office supplies and print
  • Options
    mate we are rammo worked a 6 day week sometimes 7 since feb
  • Options
    Busier than I've ever been. Working on four projects at once (rather than the usual one) and working 70-75 hours a week to get things done. Company has just taken on 20 extra staff (there was only six of us to begin with) and there's still too much to do. Wish I got paid by the hour rather than by the week.
  • Options
    what do you lot do that are busy ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My web agency is still busy.
  • Options
    My firm is mad busy - lawyers that do leveraged finance deals (what?) and we are always the first to pick up when things look good on the horizon and the first to collapse. so i see us being busy as a good thing for the future.
  • Options
    It's nothing to do with what we do, it's that we're cheap. We've always been half the price or less of our competitors, but few people would touch us - as companies want to pay the going rate, and are suspicious of anyone who's cheaper (thinking they'll be rubbisher). So we had little work until the recession hit, and suddenly companies realise they can't piss money up the wall any more, and start using us as we're cheaper. I know loads of companies that are doing much better out of the recession and it's companies that provide a service for much less than their competitors - I imagine that will be the case with the others on here who say they are busier than ever. [We usually turnover 300-400k a year, we're on course for £1.5m this year. I appreciate it's hard for others, but from a selfish perspective, the longer this recession goes on, the better.]
  • Options
    I have never been so busy.

Love it when people say Insurance in the City is quiet in August.

Not if your in the office and three brokers down it aint....
  • Options
    What do you do f&h?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]My firm is mad busy - lawyers that do leveraged finance deals (what?) and we are always the first to pick up when things look good on the horizon and the first to collapse. so i see us being busy as a good thing for the future.

You dont work for Herbert Smith do you?
  • Options
    no i dont and i wouldnt admit on here if i did!
  • Options
    Graphic design, illustration, web sites, animation, adverts, music, video games, TV shows, radio shows, sound mixing... pretty much whatever we can get someone to pay us to do. Not concentrating on one thing means you can focus on whatever's in demand at the time.
  • Options
    French and German economies have started to expand, news says they are moving out of the recesion (sic) Bank of England says this week we have still not hit bottom of ours and will be slow to recover . so much for Gordon and his slaves repeating the recession is global.
  • Options
    May be a case of last in last out.....took Brown long enough to come clean........maybe the other countries started to take their medicine early...........so we may be in the poo a bit longer that others....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]It's nothing to do with what we do, it's that we're cheap. We've always been half the price or less of our competitors, but few people would touch us - as companies want to pay the going rate, and are suspicious of anyone who's cheaper (thinking they'll be rubbisher). So we had little work until the recession hit, and suddenly companies realise they can't piss money up the wall any more, and start using us as we're cheaper. I know loads of companies that are doing much better out of the recession and it's companies that provide a service for much less than their competitors - I imagine that will be the case with the others on here who say they are busier than ever. [We usually turnover 300-400k a year, we're on course for £1.5m this year. I appreciate it's hard for others, but from a selfish perspective, the longer this recession goes on, the better.]

Not necessarily true.....I reckon Im as competitive as anybody in this business (hate the word cheap, but I can compete with anyone), and yet we cant get people to let us even quote...its madness
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    France and Germany are officially out of recession. A recession is when two financial quarters in a row show a drop in GDP, and the moment you get a quarter where it rises you are out of recession. France and Germany rose, but only just (+0.3%) so they are officially out. We will likely be out in either three or six months. Not too bad, particularly if you bear in mind the USA went into recession six months before the UK, so our recession is likely to be shorter than the Yanks' at any rate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]no i dont and i wouldnt admit on here if i did!

Mind you, the fact that you post on here every day tells me you dont, my other half is not even allowed to check her email or google.
  • Options
    My flooring firm has been very quiet for 2/3 years now, first ones into a recession/last ones out. . . . but saw the signs early and cutback at the right time.

Without MoD work I have I would be in deep doo but thankfully, that side of things is OK (until the election next year. . . .) the rest of my work is commerically based and there is enough at the moment but a lot of the big firms have been in panic mode slashing prices and making it uncompetitive for *anyone* to trade in.

The only thing to do is as we all know, is slash overheads and work double hard to hold onto your current clients and do a lot of groundwork for when it does start to pick up.

There's a lot of people I know held into long leases and won't survive.
  • Options
    Ridiculously of late I do work in Travel Insurance though!
  • Options
    July & August (as well as December because of Xmas) are traditionally my quietest months, because many of my buyers' decision makers are on holiday or can't get sign off straightaway.

But this year, I had a stonking July after a too quiet post-Easter.

August hasn't kicked in at all well, even though I have decent pipeline.
    I'll do what I can....... but I'm beyond stressing. Que Sera and all that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]July & August (as well as December because of Xmas) are traditionally my quietest months, because many of my buyers' decision makers are on holiday or can't get sign off straightaway.

But this year, I had astonking Julyafter a too quiet post-Easter.

August hasn't kicked in at all well, even though I have decent pipeline.
    I'll do what I can....... but I'm beyond stressing. Que Sera and all that.

Same her Oggy....July, August early September always quiet in the giftware industry....doing OK though with our European contacts (paying us in Euros...luverly jubberly!) but yes it's abnormaly quiet I have to say.
    Christmas always happens for us though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]For me, things took a nose dive in November last year and have steadily gotten worse. But this month so far really takes the biscuit, I cant believe how quiet its become...Ive even had to put my staff on a 3 day week from next week...people just dont seem to be ordering/spending.

What do you work as?

[cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]I'm so busy at work I dunno where to begin next at the moment, showing no signs of letting up either at the moment. I suspect it will only get worse (or better - depending on how you look at it)

So busy that you're on Charlton Life..............

it's part of the working day !!!
  • Options
    Right on, Danny!

Often I leave CL running all day on the toolbar, and just dip into it when I have coffee or a nibble.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Madhouse at the moment, 200 branches of a well known building society changing into a bank across the UK. All wanted yesterday.