Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time to walk?

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
I've been working at my "new" workplace for over 18 months now and from week one it's been absolute shite. My boss is a clueless tosser who isn't just incompetent he's downright disruptive and generally detrimental to the operation of the team. Everyone knows he's crap and since I've been there I've had a number of senior people within the firm approach me to say that it wont be allowed to go on much longer. Apparently the bloke before me left as he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and they don't want it to happen again. Not that it would with me - I'd be more likely to smack him than let him do that to me.

Anyway, it all came to a head when one of my juniors said he'd had enough of it all and was going to walk. This fella is absolutely mustard so I dug my heels in and made it clear to certain people that if this fella goes then I really couldn't see the point in me staying.

I was then called into a meeting with the firms head honcho who told me that they didn't want me - or my man - to go and they were going to bullet my boss. They were hoping to do it that day, but failing that the day after.

That was three weeks ago and the c*** is still there.

So, my CL friends, what do we reckon - should I walk??? It might be a problem getting something else what with the current climate, but I'm now more pissed off with the firm for the shocking way they have handled all of this then I am with the bloke being a knob in the first place!

What say you?

Comments

• Options
    Ultimatum is your friend
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Ultimatum is your friend

That's kinda what I gave them - but not in a foolish all guns blazing sort of way. A bit more subtle than that.

I can't help thinking that they're maybe calling my bluff. I just don't think the top man has the gonads to do it.
  • Options
    Depends mate - If you need the money ride it out while you look for other work. It sounds to me that you've had enough and generally it'll take something drastic for a firm to change their ways so I'd bite the bullet and tell them where to go - you just have to make the decision whether it's now or after you've found another job.

Life is too short to be dealing with mugs.
  • Options
    Call their bluff and walk otherwise they will never sack the bloke and will just keep stringing you along. No point staying in a job that you are not happy in while he is there and by leaving you are bringing the issue to a head. You might even get brought back on better terms once the old boss gets the heave-ho.
  • Options
    Couple of points

Can you afford to walk, as you will not get benefits if you walk, albeit that they are not massive, but if you have mortgage protection insurance you won't be able to claim it.

I wonder wether the behaviour by your boss and the lack of action by your firm is constructive dismissal (yuo would need to talk to someone more in the know than me),if you can show them that it is you can strengthen your leverage. be careful though as they may call your bluff and equally new employers would be loath to employ someone who has taken his previous emplyer to tribunal.
  • Options
    Tell them that you can do the job for less than what they are paying him, and make a better job of it. When they take you on, tell them that you never would have been so bold, but you put the question out there and your football internet buddies grouped together and gave you all the advice you needed. Then tell them that the method worked so well, you plan to use it to make all of your departmental decisions.
  • Options
    Off it unmasked......You are Mark Kinsella
  • Options
    I would advise having a quiet word. You may find they are dealing with it but these things take time

What would be the reasons for sacking your boss? They will need to have good reasons, maybe they have given him a warning etc.

Softly softly is the approach here.
  • Options
    If your not happy where you work bide your time, find something else and leave.

I dont believe doing things in heat of the moment will achieve much other than a feel good moment. I've done it myself. A few years ago I told the managing director what I thought of him, his firm and the people that worked there. I certainly felt better for doing it but then Monday came round and I had to look for work. 6 years on, I just wish kept my mouth shut and just walked away. No one was intrested in my rants, they just wanted me to do the job I was paid for.
    It was a good feeling at the time though and things did work out for the better for me. But a bigger man would have would not made the scene I did.
  • Options
    Go to the doctors and get signed off from work for two weeks with "stress". Spend the time re-evaluating and looking at the market-place for alternative employemnt. You may find that the grass isnt greener or you might find something better. Either way you can walk back into work after your little two week break knowing full well that the bosses will have 'got the message' that things need to change one way or another.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dear Off_It

Being a life time knee-jerker myself , I would recommend not knee jerking , I have never ever felt better afterwards for knee jerking .
    But having said that , you clearly need to do something otherwise you'll never be happy.
    I would make a plan of action for either staying and sorting it all out , or for getting a new job , all depends on what you really want to do. Ask yourself the questions and make a plan

good luck mate
  • Options
    If the place is starting to give you a nervous breakdown or is forcing you to result in violence toward your dickhead boss(which by the way wouldn't look too good on the old CV) i'd jack.Might be worth dipping your toe in the water first,just to see what is out there.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]If your not happy where you work bide your time, find something else and leave.

I dont believe doing things in heat of the moment will achieve much other than a feel good moment. I've done it myself. A few years ago I told the managing director what I thought of him, his firm and the people that worked there. I certainly felt better for doing it but then Monday came round and I had to look for work. 6 years on, I just wish kept my mouth shut and just walked away.

No one was intrested in my rants, they just wanted me to do the job I was paid for.

It was a good feeling at the time though and things did work out for the better for me. But a bigger man would have would not made the scene I did.

Keston, that is good advice - especially with mortgage and family to feed.

Look around to see what else is out there, Offy ....... you're clearly unhappy with the way the company is run, let alone with your immediate manager.

An ultimatum may work but what if it doesn't? You can't really back down.
    And even if your manager is inept, you can't really be seen to be deliberately pulling the rug from under his feet.

No point giving them both barrels, just to make yourself feel better for 5 minutes.
    But don't shoot yourself in the foot.
  • Options
    Simply curl a poo onto your boss's desk (while he's sitting there) . If he's left in any doubt as to your feelings, after that, then he's a fool.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]Off it unmasked......You are Mark Kinsella

Brilliant.
  • Options
    Crap time to be out of a job fella - ride it out if you can!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    you could go on stress leave, and tell em you aint coming back till he's gone..? and get your other bloke and as many others to do the same.

:)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Don't jack it in in the heat of the moment.

What I would do is to write an email or memo (does anyone actually still write memos?) confirming the details of the meeting you had with him, ie that he said your immediate boss would be leaving. Also ask him what over what timescale this is going to take place. That would force his hand either to confirm and give you a timescale (in whaich case, you know where you stand); or to deny the content of the meeting you had (in which case, you really know where you stand).

Hope it works out in the right way for you; but I would advise against walking. Good luck.
  • Options
    Do you get regular supervisions from your immediate line manager or whatever you call then in your company...? If so, then this would be a good place to start airing your views and concerns, your colleagues could also state their concerns to their respective line managers too and soon the senior management will get the idea about what is going on and take action, as they have already indicated that they are aware of existing problems this should help speed things up...

If you don't get any satisfaction from this course of action then you need to take out a grievance against the trouble maker, in fact a few of you should do it. There are a few good websites that can give you a few ideas on how to approach this sort of thing, also your terms and conditions handbook, which should have been given to you within 2 months of commencing employment, ought to give clear advice on how to raise a grievance, read it and speak to a trusted colleague or two about it and draw up a plan of what to do....

Making rash decisions like walking out and claiming constructive dismassal is not the way forward, the new employment law states you must follow the '1-2-3 steps' before making such decisions, without following them any future compensation claim will be severly restricted...
  • Options
    Make the decision in your own mind to leave, then start looking. Tell no-one. But the fact you've made up your mind, i have found, lifts a weight from your shoulders anyway.
    Then go quietly about finding the next thing, so when you do quit it's with somewhere to go. Of course, things may sort themsleves out in the meantime, in which case happy days.

Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey, cheers chaps - some great advice there. I'm gobsmacked with the response.

I'm not the sort to just kick up a fuss and march out the door, so no worries there, but I can't help feeling they've been mugging me over for a while now.

The guy is a complete clown, always on the piss (yeah, I know - but there's a time and a place), our results are shocking and he blames everyone else but himself. He's so far out of his depth it's untrue. But I'm starting to think the problem is actually deeper than just him. It's too easy to point the finger at one man - I'm now looking beyond that to the "chiefs" who have stood by and let it happen.

Anyway, I took 3 days off "sick" earlier this week and am now on holiday for a week, so will see how it goes I guess.

Have texted the head honcho asking - politely - if there is "any news" though, so we shall see.

Thanks again folks - am deeply touched.
  • Options
    Whatever you do - do not burn your bridges. I left my job two years ago and made sure I did it on very good terms despite the fact there were one or two people and plenty of things going on that I really wanted to lay into. Things didn't work out for me elsewhere and as a result of my leaving the place on such good terms I was able to get a contract back at my old place and eventually a perminent position came up.

Wouldn't have happened if I'd taken the opportunity to have a pop two years ago and although many of the things that wound me up back then are still happening, I'm a different person for my experiences since and I'm far more able to put it all in context and not let it get to me.
  • Options
    What don't kill you makes you stronger.

Happened to me about 4 years ago, had only been at the place for just only 12 months and had a set to with the MD, over me going home sick. Only day that I had taken sick in that time, he even put a job advert for my job whilst I was still there, took a phone calll from an agency re the position of factory manager. I went into one and he made up loads of stuff about me not doing things, he couldn't back it up. I stuck it out for 10 months until I found the job I'm in now. Couldn't walk out as I have a house and a family. It gave me great pleasure in handing my notice in, told him that I should have walked out when it all happened and never felt the same about the company from that day on. Didn't burn my bridges and still see some of the guys.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Whatever you do - do not burn your bridges. I left my job two years ago and made sure I did it on very good terms despite the fact there were one or two people and plenty of things going on that I really wanted to lay into. Things didn't work out for me elsewhere and as a result of my leaving the place on such good terms I was able to get a contract back at my old place and eventually a perminent position came up.

Wouldn't have happened if I'd taken the opportunity to have a pop two years ago and although many of the things that wound me up back then are still happening, I'm a different person for my experiences since and I'm far more able to put it all in context and not let it get to me.

That's a really good post. BA
  • Options
    Wanna laugh, everybody...?

Here I am dishing out sound logical industrial dispute advice based upon the experiences I've encountered in my working lifetime when the other day the area manager, who just so happens to be a right cow's c*nt, pissed me off that much that I emailed my resignation to her...

In the first email back she accepted my resignation and a short while later she emailed me another saying 'and for your information I haven't got a fat arse....'

I sent one back saying she did....

What's that old saying about 'practising what you preach'....?
  • Options
    Off it...get another job lined up and leave, and what Bournemouth Addick says is good advice. When you hand in your notice just say as per our previous conversation that you couldn't carry on working with your line-manager and wish them all good luck. If they really want to keep you then it puts them on the spot - do they sack him to persuade you to stay or not. If not then you know that despite his incompetence etc that they rate him higher than you and that you were being strung along.

Good luck...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Wanna laugh, everybody...?

Here I am dishing out sound logical industrial dispute advice based upon the experiences I've encountered in my working lifetime when the other day the area manager, who just so happens to be a right cow's c*nt, pissed me off that much that I emailed my resignation to her...

In the first email back she accepted my resignation and a short while later she emailed me another saying 'and for your information I haven't got a fat arse....'

I sent one back saying she did....

What's that old saying about 'practising what you preach'....?
    I think you've got a case against her. She is, in effect, calling you a liar. Threaten to take her to court on that basis. And tell her you'll call her arse as a key witness.