Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy birthday Compact Discs!

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
The Compact Disc is a 120mm diameter, 16 gramme disc of 1.2 mm thick polycarbonate plastic, used for storing audio (and other) files. It was first released in Germany on 17 August 1982.

What was your first CD and which has been the best CD release since then?

For me, it's first: Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits) and best: Let it Be Naked (The Beatles).

Comments

• Options
    First CD I bought was a compilation - 30 years of the Marquee club. Bought my first CD player at Richer Sounds, London Bridge. September 1987.
  • Options
    remember seeing them on 'tomorrows world' and thinking that they'll never catch on.

i think will downing was my first cd bought. 1988ish.
  • Options
    first: Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits)
  • Options
    I bought a marantz around 1988/89...cant honestly remember what was my first CD (They are all over in Oz) Probably a duplicate of one of my Vinyl albums.....quite possibly Tubular bells
  • Options
    CD ?
    Still with vinyl mate......
  • Options
    1st Brenda Holloway's Greatest Hits
    Best Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Series
  • Options
    My first was actually a bootleg of the Beach Boys unreleased "Smile".
    My favourite since is the 3CD re-issue of the Kinks "Village Green Preservation Society".

Despite promising myself I wouldn't, I have now bought my whole record collection twice(vinyl & CD).
    Please hold back on the new technology. :(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]My first was actually a bootleg of the Beach Boys unreleased "Smile".
    My favourite since is the 3CD re-issue of the Kinks "Village Green Preservation Society".

Despite promising myself I wouldn't, I have now bought my whole record collection twice(vinyl & CD).
    So when will you download them all again from iTunes?
  • Options
    Is it free, Chizz? If not count me out. ;-)

Besides, it dawned on me the other day that I've got far too many records that I'm ever likely to play them all again in what's left of a normal lifespan!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I remember when CDs came out they did an item on breakfast TV saying that you could spread marmalade with one and it would still work OK, unlike weedy old vinyl. That turned out to be b****ks.

Anyway, first was Guns n Roses "Appetite for Destruction". Best was, oh I dunno, Pavement "Crooked Rain". Could choose fifty or more tho and I'm discounting anything released before the CD era.

Now of course it's all downloads and it is quite possible I will never buy another CD. My youngest daughter will think they are museum pieces. I'm really starting to feel my age.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first was The Greatest Hits of '96.

Best... Too many...

I still buy CD's all the time, great value in them now... Always pickin up Cohen or Dylan or somethin for a 5er.

Many happy returns CD.
  • Options
    CD ?
    Still with vinyl mate......
    Yep.. I agree with that.

I didn't buy my first CD until 1998, DubNoBassWithMyHeadMan by Underworld. I bought a load of cd's just because I started going backpacking and CD's were more convenient.

I never liked them though and as soon as MP3's appeared I got one. Still a vinyl fan though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]My first was actually a bootleg of the Beach Boys unreleased "Smile".

itunes can import CDs and If you get one of those USB turntables which digitises your vinyl you can bring that in too - if you have the time to do it that is! At least while all this new technology is coming onstream, the kit is there to prolong the life of the old formats (78s aside that is!)