Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold Thing Yesterday

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
My reason for being in the Millenium lounge yesterday was a ticket to the Valley Gold thing passed on by a mate.

One thing sprung to mind when they unveilled the board in Bartrams. It is full and centred on the wall.........are they not thinking anymore youth team players will be added?.

Anyone was nice to chat with some former players. Have to mention Paul Williams. Really nice bloke, had a really long chat with him. Seemed really modest. He was with his new girlfriend and it was clear from her reaction to our questions and minor stalking/hero worship that he hadn't let on that he'd played at the top level.

Priceless look on my friends 6 year old son's face when we told him Willo' had scored two goals against Man Utd when we beat them over at Selhurst!.

Got the impression that Paul regretted leaving Charlton and felt that things never really worked out for him anywhere else, hinted that his favorite manager was Big Ron.

Given that he became such a quality striker for us it was interesting to note that Lennie Lawrence signed him as a left winger. Apparently he went out on loan from us to Brentford scored a few when asked to do a job up front and the rest is history!.

Others present were: Micky Bennett, Paul Linger, Richard & Marvin Rufus, Dean Chandler, Paul Sturgess, Danny Mills (not the recent one) I believe there were a few others around but the above were the only ones I saw.

Comments

• Options
    Richard Rufus, what a gentleman!
  • Options
    Thanks for the report Clem. Very odd about the board not having space for more additions ! ?
  • Options
    Wikipedia says that Paul Linger played in the 2005 Maccabiah Games - the jewish olympics.
  • Options
    March Jnr. actually bumped into Richard Rufus in the club shop: someone called out 'Alright Richard'?' and what with it being the boy's name too, they both turned round and, er, bumped into each other. He was nice and chatty and quite pleased to have his picture taken, very modest and seemed surprised when called 'A Legend'. Nice bloke.