Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gray sale makes perfect sense to Addicks boss

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/4561516.Gray_sale_makes_perfect_sense_to_Addicks_boss/

Comments

• Options
    Well done, News Shopper. Good to Parky's appraisal of the situation.

Is there any truth in the rumour there's going to be a press conference this afternoon? And that it oncludes Llera?
  • Options
    News to me that one
  • Options
    The official Charlton twitter feed posted this on Saturday -

"Just sorted out a radio interview with Rob Elliot and a Monday press conference with Miguel Llera. Almost finished for the day (GH)
    5:45 PM Aug 22nd from web"

So either it's a cover up or News Shopper isn't invited :)
  • Options
    Haha no the Monday press conference is an interview with Llera after the game which has a publication embargo until Monday. It is online now at

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/4561549.Llera_targets_more_goals_for_Charlton/
  • Options
    "...with Andy Gray his wages were far too high for what we can pay in this division and probably in the Championship"

Gray is barely a Championship quality player. Dear oh dear.
  • Options
    I wonder whether or not Gray regrets leaving Burnley to come to us or did his seemingly exorbitant wages dull the pain?
  • Options
    I don't really worry about that now ......... he's gone.

I wish his wife a speedy recovery, best of luck with his new employer - and thanks for removing your hefty wages from our wage bill!

:o)
  • Options
    All completed now. on the OS.
  • Options
    Do we have any accurate idea of the final figure? 600k was banded around in the press. Not keen on these "undisclosed" fees, but delighted his wages are gone, and sure we got the best that was offered. So, another expensive Pardew mistake exits, though in fairness he seemed a reasoable bet at the time (just not at such an inflated price for an ageing journeyman, which was never going to be recovered).
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    anyone know what sort of figure he was on - I am guessing he might've been pushing 20k a week - I think Pardew gave him a Premier League contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought someone "in the know" once said £12k a week
  • Options
    I can't see he'd be on £20k per week, but quite possibly around half that or just over.

If it was around the £11k or 12k mark, then that was still too much for a Championship side.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    you're right 20k is too much - 12-15k sounds more like it
  • Options
    Fortune was given a prem contract I believe by Dowie? He must have been on 15-20?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Barnsley fans seem to think they got him for 500k in the end. In which case, I think that's still a great piece of business for us.

I know we paid three times that. But think about it - if we were buying Gray now, even assuming we were cash rich would we ever dream of paying that sort of money for him?

Barnsley fans also claim that every one of Davey's signings has been a player who was relegated with another club. Great idea that , eh? Build a team of experienced-but-cheap losers !
  • Options
    They will be after Herman next