Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League 1 teams in the Champ

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
I had this convo with a mate at the game sat. There are several teams in our league (us included) who you would not consider to be league 1 clubs and a hatful of teams i could think of in the championship who could be replaced by those in League 1. For example mickey mouse football clubs like Peterbourgh could be replaced by us.

So you have got Us Leeds, Norwich, Saits, Millwall, Could replace Peterbourgh, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Palace (defo), Swansea, Blackpool, Plymouth.

Does anyone else agree that there seems to be what youo would consider as League 1 teams in the champ and high level champ teams in league 1 its quiet interesting really well i thought it was.

How the sport we luv has changed.

Comments

• Options
    Regardless of "names", people are in the leagues they deserve to be in as a result of the managers and players they employ as well as the management of the board.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I had this convo with a mate at the game sat. There are several teams in our league (us included) who you would not consider to be league 1 clubs and a hatful of teams i could think of in the championship who could be replaced by those in League 1. For example mickey mouse football clubs like Peterbourgh could be replaced by us.

So you have got Us Leeds, Norwich, Saits, Millwall, Could replace Peterbourgh, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Palace (defo), Swansea, Blackpool, Plymouth.

Does anyone else agree that there seems to be what youo would consider as League 1 teams in the champ and high level champ teams in league 1 its quiet interesting really well i thought it was.

You may well consider them to be a mickey mouse club but if we played Peterborough i'd bet that Boyd, McLean and Mackail-Smith would run rings round us. And why do you consider Swansea to not be a championship club? They played some of the best football in the division last season.
  • Options
    Of course none of us would consider Charlton to be a L1 side but at the moment we are. All the clubs you have mentioned are where they are either on merit or failings,mickey mouse team or not.
  • Options
    No one 'should' be anywhere. We deserve to be where we are currently. As do Posh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I had this convo with a mate at the game sat. There are several teams in our league (us included) who you would not consider to be league 1 clubs and a hatful of teams i could think of in the championship who could be replaced by those in League 1. For example mickey mouse football clubs like Peterbourgh could be replaced by us.

by what criteria would you make Millwall a Championship club ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]by what criteria would you make Millwall a Championship club ??
    This.

Millwall are a lower tier club - always have been and always will be. Palace are different - no-one can make any serious argument that their 'rightful' place is somewhere between the championship and the premier league. Much like ourselves.

Of course, as other people have pointed out, this is a bit of silly topic - every team is where they 'deserve' to be - fullstop.
  • Options
    Yea your right it seems to me to be a case of you are were you deserve to be just thought it was strange to see how much it had changed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Regardless of "names", people are in the leagues they deserve to be in as a result of the managers and players they employ as well as the management of the board.

Agreed with what the knobber said...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]by what criteria would you make Millwall a Championship club ??
    This.

Millwall are a lower tier club - always have been and always will be. Palace are different - no-one can make any serious argument that their 'rightful' place is somewhere between the championship and the premier league. Much like ourselves.

Serious argument: the only real criterion to be taken into account is the historical record, which is what shapes these perceptions. At a quick count Palace have had 11 seasons in the top division in their history and 40 in the lower two divisions, albeit the last was 30 years ago. So I'd say they are a Championship club.

But then I am biased.
  • Options
    I will not be prepared to call Palace a higher level club than us iam affraid no credit for them. I felt sorry for tem as a club when they had the goal disallowed at Bristol but the way Warnock reacted was like a small child, there was no need to not shake the hands of the Bristol city players that just made me have even less respect for them as a club.

I just feel it is strange how the divisions have changed and how clubs have come up and gone down and divisions have changed drastically
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As others have said; we're all where we deserve to be. A league competion should always even out performances - no room for upsets and no account of sentiment. As for historical record I would think that quite a few Blackpool fans would agree they shouldn't be in the Championship, but I think you'd find them saying Premier...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I will not be prepared to call Palace a higher level club than us iam affraid no credit for them. I felt sorry for tem as a club when they had the goal disallowed at Bristol but the way Warnock reacted was like a small child, there was no need to not shake the hands of the Bristol city players that just made me have even less respect for them as a club.

I just feel it is strange how the divisions have changed and how clubs have come up and gone down and divisions have changed drastically

It's not really anything new, 10-15 years ago Fulham and Wigan were in what is now called League Two. MK Dons who were Wimbledon were in League Two a few years ago. In 10 years time clubs like Notts County (if everything goes to plan for them), Peterborough, Bristol City, Swansea etc may well be in or had spells in the Prem. Bradford had their time in the Prem, now in League Two. Man City were in League One, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest etc.

It changes a lot in 10 years and there probably always will be 'big' clubs in League One/Two, 'small' clubs in the Prem. We had our good spell, last few years we've gone the other way, hopefully we're working our way back up like other clubs have.
  • Options
    I think you are right schoham obviously i have only had 22 years of avid football following so its strange to me to see clubs like us Saints and Norwich in League one and Hull and Burnley and that in the prem. No disrespect to either of those teams actaully full respect to them for achieving what they have especially Burnley have lots of respect for Owen Coyle and hope they do well.

I suppose its just part of the great game regular teams is division are gunna change over a ten year period.

Wouldnt it be funny though in ten years time to see the champ teams replace allot of prem teams eg can you imagine Villa, Everton, Spurs teams like that who have been in the top flight all my life drop down leagues. God i luv football.
  • Options
    Hull, that's the other that's gone from League Two to the Prem. Thought there might have been one more. I'm only 22 as well but in just 10 years there have been a lot of teams that have gone up the divisions and others that have gone down and I think it'll carry on happening to a few clubs.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Yea your right it seems to me to be a case of you are were you deserve to be just thought it was strange to see how much it had changed.

[cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]

It's just because you were born in 1986.

Ever tried looking at League tables going back to the 19th century. In fact regarding the founder members they have recently been re-adressing themselves back to where they came from.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Regardless of "names", people are in the leagues they deserve to be in as a result of the managers and players they employ as well as the management of the board.

Agreed with what the knobber said...

080106-0115.jpg
  • Options
    It's great that clubs change divisions - that is what keeps football interesting. The only shame is that there's no movement at the top of the Premiership.
  • Options
    It's funny, I suppose ...... okay it's a fair old time ago now: as a young kid at my first match at The Valley, I saw Eddie Firmani score, Lenny Glover on the wing, etc

Top flight teams in those days included Burnley, Nottm Forest, Fulham, Blackpool, Sheff Wed, Leicester City, Stoke, Wolves - all who've since spent several years in the Third Division and several, even lower - but in those days had a long history of traditionally being big top flight clubs.

Cardiff and Blackburn had just been relegated, Leeds, Newcastle only just promoted.
    QPR, Saints, Millwall, Palace, Norwich and Coventry had never yet played at the highest domestic level.

Millwall and Palace were in Division III, and the regular teams we played in Division II included Portsmouth, Derby, Middlesborough, Bolton, Birmingham City, Sheffield United, Ipswich, Huddersfield, Bristol City and Preston Both Ends (plus a few minnows like Walsall, Leyton Orient and Rotherham reaching above themselves - within a couple of years, even Orient and Northampton played in the top league.

Okay, it's 45 years ago now, but looking at the fortunes of those clubs since, some of had a glorious spell of trophy winning (Forest and Derby) but except Preston and Huddersfield, all have played at some point in the Prem or equivalent, and most have played in Division III or even lower.

In earlier years, teams like Huddersfield, Proud Preston, Blackpool, Wolves and Pompey swept all before them, winning League titles (Huddersfield 3 in a row) and FA Cups. The 'Sky 4' and their deluge of TV money will no doubt ensure it never happens again.

Oxford United and Luton were top flight clubs for several years in the 80's. Where are they now? Non-league.

But in any case, the wheel continues to turn full cycle for most - every dog has his day in the sun, hits bad times, and then the chance comes round again.
  • Options
    I see yea true. When you look at the clubs who started the prem in 92 there are only a hatful that remain for example Swindon Town for example lol. But yea i agree keeps the divisions alive.
  • Options
    So bareing what you said in mind Oggy do you think we will ever see any demise of the top four prem teams or are we destined to listen to twats who have no relationship with manchester boast about how good there club is (not that any of them have even been to manchester). I know you are not mystic mog mate but with your experience is this what you hope for and if it did happen who would we all like to see take their places obviously with Charlton at the top of the prem or do we feel that would ruin the great community and local feel we have at the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]So bareing what you said in mind Oggy do you think we will ever see any demise of the top four prem teams or are we destined to listen to twats who have no relationship with manchester boast about how good there club is (not that any of them have even been to manchester). I know you are not .... mystic mog .....mate but with your experience is this what you hope for and if it did happen who would we all like to see take their places obviously with Charlton at the top of the prem or do we feel that would ruin the great community and local feel we have at the Valley.

Mystic Og .....? Never been called that before ha ha

When I was a lad ...... there was always a chance for the underdog, that random team which, erm ........ 'punched above it's weight' and occasionally won the League title or FA Cup. Teams within the past 40 or 50 years include Burnley, Ipswich, Derby, Forest, Villa etc. But the under dog doesn't even occasionally win the FA Cup these days.

I can't see the big stitch-up cartel of the 'Sky 4' being broken ....... all the while they are almost drowning in TV money, while smaller clubs fight a constant survival battle, they are strengthening their stranglehold on all competitions.

The longer it goes on, the less chance of a random club breaking through .....unless it's a Man City type club, buying their success in the way that Chelsea did.

To break the 'Sky 4' would involve one of them being recklessly and seriously mismanaged, or their owners/backers going financially bust ....... and even then, rich Arabs etc looking for a plaything would step right in with a rescue package.

Football is being held in a financial stranglehold. I can only see the rich getting richer - and as far as the 'Sky 4' are concerned, we can go feck ourselves.
  • Options
    Mystic mog ?
  • Options
    Ha ha yea i thought that might get a comment mystic mog because it hink you may be a bit upset with me calling you mystic meg am guessing your a bloke Oggy lol.

I have been told that beofre about the FA and League cups by my old man i wish i was around in them days the money has kinda ruined there being any chances of that happening nowa days i guess. I agree i cant see the top 4 being brocken just leaving us minnos of the football league unavail to do anything.

With regards to Man city Oggy do you feel that if say another ten twenty clubs get taken over then clubs who are not owned my massive consortiums will just disapear if this ever happens i think i might give up unless we are one of them of course it would create a real prawn sandwich attitude at games.

Yea its not the greates attitude to have is it i have to addmit im pretty scared of clubs like us getting shut down
  • Options
    I still can't believe that Wigan V Hull is a premiership game for the second season in a row and Burnley V Stoke!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Mysticmog ?

Ah, so ...... you're the mystic one, MoG.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I still can't believe that Wigan V Hull is a premiership game for the second season in a row and Burnley V Stoke!

Burnley v Stoke was always a top flight fixture right up until the late 60's ...........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]........... you may be a bit upset with me calling you mystic meg ......... am guessing your a bloke Oggy lol.

Erm ....... just talk amongst yourselves while I have a quick reassuring glance inside my jeans .... Yep!
    Fully qualified, anatomically complete, genetically proven male of the species.

Just for the moment, I almost had a Kelly Youga moment of hesitation and self doubt........

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I still can't believe that Wigan V Hull is a premiership game for the second season in a row and Burnley V Stoke!

Burnley v Stoke was always a top flight fixture right up until the late 60's ...........
    If you remember the 60s you weren't there! ;-)
  • Options
    I was born in '62.........
    Do I exsist ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

If you remember the 60s you weren't there! ;-)

That's the trouble young Jermaine ...... I bloody well was!!!!
    But of course, back in those days I was just a sweet boy child.

If you doubt me, I'll regale you with stories about Sir Charlie Wright letting the ball slip through his legs, thunderbolt shots from Graham Moore, why Matt Tees was called Matt, and a Ray Treacy hat-trick against Hull City.

Don't even get me started on Eddie Firmani, Billy Bonds and Lenny Glover ......

:o)