Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Away fan ban? Are some people really that dim? A bit of perspective....

Giving Millwall no tickets will not stop trouble one bit. 90% of any trouble there will be the day we play them will be outside the ground. This will happen whether they have tickets or not.
Have you not learnt from the ob f**k up last night, that by reducing Millwall's allocations by 1.5k, they had an extra 1.5k roaming the streets. Much easier to police fans confined to an away end in the ground.

Im no Millwall lover (far from it) but Goucho speaks sense as far as im concerned. And my missus worked for them for two years in the PR department. Believe me, no clubs puts more efforts into sorting their fans out than Milwall football club. She has seen it first hand. They have to suffer more dranconian measures than nearly every other club in the Country with the membership/bubble trips etc.

Last night was a huge one off, people are acting like the 70's are starting again. When they met five years ago it was well policed and next to nothing happened. Two things made last night happen:
1. Night game
2. Several ob f**k ups.

With clubs like Millwall and fixture like last night there will always be big one off's like this every few years. Nothing will ever stop that. But it's not just Millwall. Just wait for Burnley v Blackburn and Villa v Blues etc this year.

Some fixtures will always have big problems - Charlton Millwall is not one of them. It's no different to millwall v palace/QPR etc.

Comments

• Agree.

I'd love to see the game as the media see the Liverpool/Everton games, with fans mixing together, drinking together, supporting their teams side by side with no grief one way or the other.

Let's be honest, the 'real' Millwall fans could do with a bit of decent positive publicity for a change.

As long as we beat the spanners 4-0 ;-)
  • Spot on, last night was always going to go off. Though banning away fans would of been the right thing to do last night, our game is not at all similar. It will attract a lot of their scum element which they are blessed with but is not right in this instance, though I would not take my kids.
  • Agreed Steve.

This will be one where a lot of their old school turn out for (it's been a long time) but more for a piss take, than a proper row like last night. Different kettle of fish imo.

The Violence aside most West Ham I know through england games loved last night as it was a one-off throwback to the old days atmosphere wise.
  • I think the main thing that I took away from that game is the amount of scarfers that got involved in it all and the generally low number of arrests and injuries (I beleive the majority of which were blades, which just about sums these clowns up). It was almost like a 70s hoolie tribute act, rather than the real thing. Doing the vs at someone who's 50 yards away is, with the best will in the world, isn't going to really bring western society to a stop. It just a bunch of cocks immitating another bunch of cocks, but not really taking any risks in doing so. If they really wanted to pagger they could take up boxing or a martial art, but sadly then they wouldn't have a line of OB to stand between them and their opponents.
  • My initial thought was "I wonder about our game - should i go", then I thought I've been to the old den, I've been to the new den, I have been to the Valley when there was a 30,000 crowd dominated by Millwall, I've been to Selhurst and I have never been caught up in any trouble .. so what is the fuss? the only thing that will stop me going to the match at the val;ley will have nothing to do with Millwall and all to do with money. Experience will rule over media.
  • mention of Charlton here (from 15 years ago mind):
    http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/traps/2009/08/26/kick-chiefs-millwall-and-west-ham-out-of-tournaments/
  • Burnley V Blackburn is going to be very interesting indeed, I think the TV plastic fans will be surprised just how fierce a rivalry that is. It's Definitely the biggest one in the North West.
  • I broadly agree with the Organiser on this. Pragmatism suggests that it's best to offer them one place, i.e the Ground where the can best be contained.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Organiser[/cite]Giving Millwall no tickets will not stop trouble one bit. 90% of any trouble there will be the day we play them will be outside the ground. This will happen whether they have tickets or not.
    Have you not learnt from the ob f**k up last night, that by reducing Millwall's allocations by 1.5k, they had an extra 1.5k roaming the streets. Much easier to police fans confined to an away end in the ground.

Im no Millwall lover (far from it) but Goucho speaks sense as far as im concerned. And my missus worked for them for two years in the PR department. Believe me, no clubs puts more efforts into sorting their fans out than Milwall football club. She has seen it first hand. They have to suffer more dranconian measures than nearly every other club in the Country with the membership/bubble trips etc.

Last night was a huge one off, people are acting like the 70's are starting again. When they met five years ago it was well policed and next to nothing happened. Two things made last night happen:
    1. Night game
    2. Several ob f**k ups.

With clubs like Millwall and fixture like last night there will always be big one off's like this every few years. Nothing will ever stop that. But it's not just Millwall. Just wait for Burnley v Blackburn and Villa v Blues etc this year.

Some fixtures will always have big problems - Charlton Millwall is not one of them. It's no different to millwall v palace/QPR etc.

Mmmmmmmm...............well let's wait and see shall we!
  • Well said The Organiser.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some fixtures will always have big problems - Charlton Millwall is not one of them. It's no different to millwall v palace/QPR etc.

Those words have been noted and filed...

A year or two ago I wouldn't have said that there'd be trouble between Palace and Charlton (other than a bit posturing), then the attack happened on the Charlton fans at Sydenham. And that's the problem, the police can't be everywhere and while inside and around the ground the area will feature heavy concentrations of OB it's at London Bridge etc that the trouble is likely to occur.

The police will take this seriously, but unfortunately Millwall are an unknown entity, some of their thugs they may decide to cause havoc not having had a chance since 1996 but of course 99% of them won't. Banning them though would result in trouble as they'd have a point to prove and I doubt it'd reduce the policing/stewarding costs by much as there'd still have to be a heavy police presence inside and around the ground.

The best thing is to welcome them, take their money and beat them on the pitch.
  • If they just banned groucho there would be no trouble, he is the top wacker and is on an infiltration mission here. Seriously though, the only trouble will be from youth as a bit of history locally between them and us, the old wall don't care about us like they do with hamsters.
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]If they just banned groucho there would be no trouble, he is the top wacker and is on an infiltration mission here. Seriously though, the only trouble will be from youth as a bit of history locally between them and us, the old wall don't care about us like they do with hamsters.

Dont blame the yoof ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsPiKkxucyQ
  • The only Millwall fans in the Charlton end when we play them will be Millwall fans who have had tickets purchased for them by Charlton fans, plain & simple. I for one am looking forward to this game more than any other this season a real derby match against a real local rival.

AS for the Millwall fans that have bought Red Cards & all that b*ll*x it will not make any difference the club already have that base covered, needless to say the club cannot legislate for our own fans buying their millwall mates tickets. So any trouble in home areas at the valley on match day will be Charlton fans fault not Millwall.
  • When I say locally I don't mean Hythe and dymchurch area as we always team up with them against Hythe united down here., I mean Bexley, bexleyheath and welling.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The only Millwall fans in the Charlton end when we play them will be Millwall fans who have had tickets purchased for them by Charlton fans, plain & simple. I for one am looking forward to this game more than any other this season a real derby match against a real local rival.

AS for the Millwall fans that have bought Red Cards & all that b*ll*x it will not make any difference the club already have that base covered, needless to say the club cannot legislate for our own fans buying their millwall mates tickets. So any trouble in home areas at the valley on match day will be Charlton fans fault not Millwall.

Errr not exactly Kets......'partly' is the word I think you should have used.
  • Organiser agree with what you are saying. And have herd this about Millwall that they are one of the more fan freindly club towards their own. I dont know enough about them to comment as i have never been to one of their games so we will see when they come to the Valley. But from your own personal experience was there any trouble last time we met which im told was 1996 although i dont remember it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Organiser agree with what you are saying. And have herd this about Millwall that they are one of the more fan freindly club towards their own. I dont know enough about them to comment as i have never been to one of their games so we will see when they come to the Valley. But from your own personal experience was there any trouble last time we met which im told was 1996 although i dont remember it.

In the first game they all left early for some reason, they must have a court appearance to prepare for the next day, or maybe their parole officers enforced a strict curfew, it can't have been the result because true fans would never leave early.

After the second game, I can't remember seeing any trouble or hearing any stories.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Organiser agree with what you are saying. And have herd this about Millwall that they are one of the more fan freindly club towards their own. I dont know enough about them to comment as i have never been to one of their games so we will see when they come to the Valley. But from your own personal experience was there any trouble last time we met which im told was 1996 although i dont remember it.

Van Den Hauwe (sp?) elbowed one of our players in the first few minutes and layed him out.
    One of their supporters assaulted our Chairman Roger Alwyn throwing hot tea over him in the Directors seats.
    There were various other incidents but nothing major.