Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Singapore - Working

Anybody work or has worked in Singapore??

Been there on business but not spent much time there ie weekends.

Wondered what its like, best places to live (thinking district 11) etc

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    What's your priorities: school, entertainment, work?
    Quiet or lively?

I've not even been there myself, but I know a few that work there, so I'll get their take on it. Did meet a bunch of ex pats (while on holiday in Thailand) and they were all whining about the price of beer. I'm guessing there's no 40baht Singas to be had there...
  • Options
    School and Work priorities, Sing is not big so anywhere within 30 mins of the central business district is fine.

Dont need anything to lively, I'll get that after work when i pop for a beer. more somewhere nice for the family.

Sing is not cheap for a beer, just looking at my last expenses bill, dinner for 2 nothing OTT was about 250 quid!!
  • Options
    Tiger is the beer ,more local laws than you can count , very nanny state. Property makes London look cheap. Think Curb-It may have worked there ? or maybe that was HK.
  • Options
    I've worked in Singapore on many occasions over the years and would suggest you get a place around the Holland Village area, easy to get to town, lots of shops, bars, restaurants nearby, and loads of ex-pats.
  • Options
    Thanks Holland Village has been mentioned to me.

You certainly dont get much for your money when it comes to renting, the place we currently have here in kuwait is huge and the equivalent over there would cost GBP 6,000 a month or so.

I suppose thats what you get moving back to civilisation!
  • Options
    My sister has lived there for about 15 years now, working for various banks and her husband works for an oil company. Holland village is good for expat schools etc but is expensive. There are plenty of better places to live if you don't want to be in the centre of the expat areas. Beer is expensive in western restaurants, or touristy places but not too sad if you want to go to little India or one of the hawker centres. You can get a pint (bottle) of tiger for about £1.50 and food is cheap and good quality everywhere. You are also right next to Malaysia and some indonesian islands so no shortage of affordable weekends away reasonably priced. My sis has always avoided Holland village and other completely expat areas as there are some lovely condos with pools for a lot less close by. All in all a very well run, clean and friendly place where you won't be stuck for things to do. Holland village is so expensive due to the fact that the best expat schools are so close, but anywhere centralish will be clean, crime free and a nice environment, if a little sterile. Not a single persons place really, but Clarke quay is reasonably lively but expensive.

Whisper me if you want me to put you in touch with my sis who would be happy to help as she is not working at the moment.
  • Options
    "Whisper me if you want me to put you in touch with my sis who would be happy to help as she is not working at the moment."

I think he is married mate but a generous offer nonetheless ......................