Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ECB remove 50 over county cricket for next season

was always going to happen in county cricket due to pro 40 & 20/20. But where does it leave England as on international 50 over country?
by the looks of the cracking display against ireland today, can we leave now.

Comments

• 20/20 is the game at the moment. I like it 3 hours of action.

Let leave the longer game to history.
  • They are retaining the Pro 40 Tournament, which the Counties like - it attracts a younger audience and the beer/ice-cream etc sales rake in a lot of cash. I guess there's probably not that much difference in beer sales and attendance between the pro-40 and 50 over tournament.

This is strange though - one of the reasons why the Pro 40 was going to be ditched was that it wasn't played at international level and therefore was thought to be of little use in preparing players for 50 Over international games.
  • test match should always be king, with 20/20 as it's fun yet immature little brother. bit like william and harry really
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: sussexstu[/cite]test match should always be king, with 20/20 as it's fun yet immature little brother. bit like william and harry really[/quote]

You mean a bit of thickie with a privileged upbringing, whose family offers evidence as to why in-breeding isn't such a good idea and whose grandfather is a bit of a racist and who likes getting into fights in nightclubs and yet somehow got into Eton?

The good thing about T20 is that it will bring new revenue into the game and attract sponsors, the bad thing as evidenced by this summer is that scoring a quick 20/30 and then getting out is no substitute for learning how to build a long innings which is a necesary factor if you are going to have a successful Test career.
  • T20 is a necessary evil for financial reasons ,as BFR says, but it bears little relation to the traditional game of cricket. The danger is that the greed of the cricket authorities will lead to over exposure and thus the death of the goose that laid the golden egg.

If we want to be successful at Test level (5 day cricket) then we need a strong county championship (3 or 4 day) and some form of curtailment on kolpaks to allow England qualified youngsters to come through although EU law does not permit that.

I hope that sacrificing the 50 over game will mean that the county championship will not be diluted. The transition from 40 over to 50 over cricket is not as great as between other formats of the game so I suppose it is logical for one of those to go if it is perceived too much cricket is being played.
  • The end of the 50-over game was inevitable once T-20 took off like it did. The best thing about T20 was that it took all of the "fat" out of the one-day game and just left the crash-bang-wallop stuff that everyone loves.

In time there will be no 50-over games or 40-over games and it will be T-20 all of the way because you can fit more games in and its less taxing on the players and perfect for TV schedules.

In time most people will be playing "triangular" T20 tournaments with three games on the same ground on the same day so England, Australia and India (for example) could all play each other in the same day on the same ground and repeat the experience at six or seven different grounds.

Great news as far as I am concerned, 50-over cricket was so bloody boring.
  • Hands up if you're actually watching/arsed about T20? (Apart from Denly putting in a performance.) I'm more eagerly anticipating the SA tests.
  • 50 Over is crap, especially at international level. It should be dumped in it's present make-up.
  • I don't care what form it's played in, I just love Cricket!
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]I don't care what form it's played in, I just love Cricket!
    Agreed.