Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnes ahead of Saturday

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
from Liverpool Daily Post:

TRANMERE complete a sequence of daunting August fixtures against leaders Charlton Athletic tomorrow with manager John Barnes predicting that the going won’t become any easier over the course of the League One campaign.

The Londoners, a Premier League club as recently as 2007, arrive at Prenton Park intent on extending a sequence of four straight wins at Rovers’ expense.

John Barnes’ team, outplayed and out-fought in a 3-0 defeat at Leeds United last weekend, found greater resolve in losing a Carling Cup tie to Premier League giants Bolton on Tuesday and know their resilience will be tested again by Charlton.

“The hard games are coming thick and fast and that is what League One is all about now,” Barnes said.

“It is not just the games this week, but every game we play. This is a very strong division and we have to be up to the challenge.”

Barnes is introducing a pass and move style of play to Prenton Park at a time when he believes many other teams in the division will be following a similar course. Some, such as Charlton, Leeds, Southampton and Norwich were Premier League or Championship clubs not so long ago.

“An increasing number of teams at this level want to get the ball down and pass because they have players with the ability to do that,” Barnes said.

“Charlton are among them. They have players who were on the books when they were a Premier League club. They were in the Academy or they were first and second year professionals. Those players are now first-teamers at this level.”

Barnes added: “I keep on going on about the old days when people said you had to kick your way out of this division. But many of the teams down here will try to play their way out because they have the players to do it.”

Barnes is working on bedding in the playing pattern at Tranmere with a small squad, assembled with modest resources in comparison to many rival clubs.

Results and performances have been uneven so far. Tranmere played some sparkling attacking football in their only League One win out of four against Gillingham and were encouragingly solid against Bolton.

But they will be anxious to avoid a third successive league defeat at the hands of Charlton that would leave them in the bottom four of the division on Saturday evening.

Barnes said: “It is a new way of playing for the team and it will take time for the system to bed in. There have been times when it worked and we are trying to get it to work consistently. That will take time.

“I am hopeful and I keep saying to the players: believe in yourselves that you can do what I want you to do, because it is not complicated.

We had spells of 20 minutes or half an hour against Gillingham and in the first half against Grimsby when we showed we can do it. We have to have the belief. I was a bit fearful after the Leeds performance that they lost the belief.

“But against Bolton they performed well.”

Barnes added: “We had the midfield players protecting the back four against Bolton which they failed to do against Leeds. Now we have to look at creating more chances by improving the delivery of the ball in the final third of the field.”

The three players sidelined by injury in midweek, Shaleum Logan (bruised toe), Gavin Gunning (blisters) and Ian Thomas-Moore (groin) should be fit and available for selection tomorrow. Michael Ricketts, who followed his 25-minute appearance against Bolton with an hour-long run in the reserves on Wednesday, is likely to start on the bench once again.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent, just what I anticipated. Barnes will try and get Tranny to play football and will fail. I thought when he was appointed that they will struggle this year.

Glad also because we tend to do better against "footballing" teams.

We will now lose after I have opened my big mouth :-)
  • Options
    Been reading some Tranny supporters opinions. They're bothered that the players won't be able to do what Barnes wants and it will show up as confusion on the pitch. Oh goody, do hope so.
  • Options
    Talks a lot of sense with regards teams playing their way out of this league, we have seen plenty of evidence of that with the sides promoted to championship in the last couple of years, but as mentioned if you don't have the money or players to do that it will be difficult.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can see what Barnes is try to do, but at any level of any sport, you have to play to your strengths and as mentioned before, if you dont have the right players you wont get the right results.
  • Options
    well I think this bodes well for us.....

unless of course they click and we get shafted ; )
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The Title of this thread had me thinking that it was going to be all doom and gloom with suicidal tendencies..

I see you mean John Barnes not our own Barnesy (NSS)

god that would have been a doom and gloom thread
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]from Liverpool Daily Post:

John Barnes’ team,
    Scousers in stupidity shocker.

Minute's silence for the English language.

20+Years+Since+Hillsborough+Football+Disaster+IcEY01ZCpNLl.jpg
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]from Liverpool Daily Post:

John Barnes’ team,
    Scousers in stupidity shocker.

One minute silence for the English language.