Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leon McKENZIE about to sign!

124»

Comments

• Options
    We could do worse than McKenzie if we could get a pay as you play deal or maybe a short term deal for him to prove fitness and then option of extension to end of next season. Say a deal from July-Ocotber 1st to start, A good pre season is something I would imagine Leon has not had for a few years so maybe if we gave him this opportunity, he could thrive.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite] Don't see why Burton wouldn't sign up given his age.[/quote]

because there's probably a relegation battling championship side that would offer him better wages than we would.
  • Options
    So that's that then. Good signing that one Parky - probably only cost us £200,000 to £250,000 for not one start.

Suggest a bit more research next time as we can't really afford to throw that sort of money around for someone only to occupy the physio's couch or bench at best. Passing a one off medical doesn't tell the whole story. 19 starts in three years does.
  • Options
    Hindsight is a wonderfull thing.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]We could do worse than McKenzie if we could get a pay as you play deal or maybe a short term deal for him to prove fitness and then option of extension to end of next season. Say a deal from July-Ocotber 1st to start, A good pre season is something I would imagine Leon has not had for a few years so maybe if we gave him this opportunity, he could thrive.

I can't think of a single player who has ever agreed to a pay-as-you-play deal. Why would they? They have mortgages to pay as well.

Can't help thinking that that type of attitude is reminiscent of Todorov. No reason to assume that McKenzie won't continue to have injury problems. Get rid.
  • Options
    Parkie is not the 1st manager to take a gamble on a signings fitness and got it wrong, Curbs has a few scalps to his name, and whoever signed Cory Gibbs?
  • Options
    It got to the end of August, he was available and we took a risk. We will hopefully have all signings sorted out earlier on then we won't have to take a risk like that.

Looking back he should have gone for a lesser quality player but without a history of injuries. Not that we know who was available. We equally didn't want to end up with someone no better than what we had.
  • Options
    whats the point in signing players like this if we never give them a chance
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dmjn[/cite]whats the point in signing players like this if we never give them a chance

I suspect that the reason he never got a start was because at no point was he actually fit wnough to do so. According to Parky he was always pushing for a place until he got injured again and the vicious circle started all over again.

Yes Curbs did get it wrong occasionally but we had a bit more "meat on the bone" in those days. We've gained absolutely nothing by signing a player with a history of chronic injuries.

Watch Leon sign now for somone else now and score 30 goals next season!
  • Options
    Obviously not a good signing but it was a calculated punt, we didn't have the money to guarantee goals and fitness . I'm sure Blackpool have taken plenty of chances to get where they are. It's just a shame that not many of our punts have come off since we signed Bent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs comments pretty much on the money which isn't surprising.

When will the people running this club learn about not signing long term injury effected players. Am not including Cory in this comment he didn't sign as pre injured.
  • Options
    Leon is starting for Bromley tonight against Palace! Wow
  • Options
    Must be a different leon mckenzie! Looks nothing like him!