Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newquay

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
I have never been but I am venturing down there for a long weekend on Friday, as part of one of my oldest mate's stag dos (if i had not known him for so long I would have blown him out in favour of the footie).

So a couple of questions;
1. What is it like? Good places to go etc.
2 More importantly anyone know of any pubs there likely to have our game on?

Comments

• Options
    Funny you should ask this I got home from a weekend in newquay last night. It is really good but it is an absolute mission down their on the train from paddington. The nightlife is good a few good clubs I recommend going into Walkabout first then moving onto Sailors which is a great club. Their is a bar just next to the station opposite Barracuda club that will have the game on.
  • Options
    Plenty of good pubs for a stag, was down there a few years back for the same and had a good weekend. There is a JD Wetherspoon on Cliff Road which shows the football.
  • Options
    Oh yeah I have never seen so many stags and hens in one place.
  • Options
    Well we are flying down there, so that should help!

Cheers guys, I am Coast Steering friday and then getting well pissed watching us whilst the others surf
  • Options
    Don't forget your surf board dudes....!
  • Options
    Cornwall's answer to Blackpool ........

If you like birds, booze and getting wrecked - the potential is enormous.

But great beaches if you're in recovery mode.
    If it's warm enough, lol
  • Options
    Paid a visit whilst in Cornwall a few years back - during the day. Thought it was a bit of a khazi.
  • Options
    The red lion is good for live music on saturday nights
  • Options
    I had a really good time in Newquay, although I am more than a little "drained" now though. Some good bars down there and in the quieter moments the scenery is breath taking (we even managed to visit the National Trust site between Newquay and Padstow) and braving the cold water I bumped into a seal.
  • Options
    go surfing at St Agnes..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]go surfing at St Agnes..

I am too fat to surf
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]Funny you should ask this I got home from a weekend in newquay last night. It is really good but it is an absolute mission down their on the train from paddington. The nightlife is good a few good clubs I recommend going into Walkabout first then moving onto Sailors which is a great club. Their is a bar just next to the station opposite Barracuda club that will have the game on.

Is it just me or does a nightclub called "Sailors" sound a bit suspect?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]go surfing at St Agnes..

I am too fat to surf

Just float then ....... but Wales is the opposite coast.

;o)
  • Options
    Plenty of nooky in Newquay by the sound of it...
  • Options
    Its great. I flew there for a wedding - pilot will say 'prepare for bump down' he's not joking! Great place, walkabout is up one end of high st. Was there for new years too and surfed - its warmer in the sea this time of year compared to easter we surfed new yrs eve. Sailors is good and the nightlife is lively lots of bars for crawls!
  • Options
    Its great. I flew there for a wedding - pilot will say 'prepare for bump down' he's not joking! Great place, walkabout is up one end of high st. Was there for new years too and surfed - its warmer in the sea this time of year compared to easter we surfed new yrs eve. Sailors is good and the nightlife is lively lots of bars for crawls!
  • Options
    If you go down to Fistral, be prepared to have lots of surfboards flying at your head!! it is madness there, especially when the surf is big!

best time of the year to go surfing as the autumn swells have just started to arrive and like Suzie said, the water is at its warmest!
  • Options
    I'm going to Newquay for a stag weekend this Friday with 7 other lads.

As best man I am trying to sort out some decent places to go for both evenings. We've got coasteering on Saturday morning, which should be great fun with a steaming hangover.

Anyone got any recommendations from recent visits?
  • Options
    go back twenty years and Newquay was lovely, great beaches. Now, as Off It said, it's a khazi. Probably good for a stag weekend but as a holiday destination, stay clear.
  • Options
    Paid a visit when staying in Perranporth last year... I agree with large and Off It... very disappointing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if you're going surfing, avoid Fistral and go to Watergate bay or any of the beaches outside of Newquay. Fistral gets way too packed and you will end up with a surfboard flying at your head at some point.

The Walkabout seems to be the popular place for stag do's etc.
  • Options
    Cornwall's equivalent of Blackpool, minus the trams and hordes of northerners.
    The sort of place where it's difficult to stay sober.

Fabulous beaches though - and if you're a surfer, you're in heaven.

• Options
    As others have said, It's a hole now, ironically because of all the stag and hen do's, but if that's what your going for then it'll be fine-just don't expect it to be any different to going down Bexleyheath high street on a Saturday night!
    I miss how it used to be there, was beautiful-now alleys that smell of piss and closed up nightclubs. Sad they went chasing the money.
    Oh and lots of moneyed Teenagers falling of the cliffs into the sea.
  • Options
    We always used to go to Newquay for our holidays when I was a kid and it was such a lovely place. I was looking forward to going back when I was at RAF St Mawgan a while ago, but was shocked by what I found. The whole place now stinks of chips, piss and vomit. But if you're looking for liver damage and an STD its just the place to go!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

We always used to go to Newquay for our holidays when I was a kid and it was such a lovely place. I was looking forward to going back when I was at RAF St Mawgan a while ago, but was shocked by what I found. The whole place now stinks of chips, piss and vomit. But if you're looking for liver damage and an STD its just the place to go!

That reminds me....

Wonder if Jose is enjoying Blackpool ?

• Options
    Newquay was a terrific place until the 1980s: huge gothic Edwardian hotels on the cliffs, almost totally devoid of guests. Spookily atmospheric.

I recall staying at a B&B in a terrace of modest bow-fronted Victorian houses: fifteen quid a night, and I was the only guest. There was a wilting aspidistra in the front window, and heavy dusty curtains. The owner was a world-weary woman in her forties, I'd say - her aching sadness only added to her ravishing beauty. D.H. Lawrence would have approved.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Newquay was a terrific place until the 1980s: huge gothic Edwardian hotels on the cliffs, almost totally devoid of guests. Spookily atmospheric.

I recall staying at a B&B in a terrace of modest bow-fronted Victorian houses: fifteen quid a night, and I was the only guest. There was a wilting aspidistra in the front window, and heavy dusty curtains. The owner was a world-weary woman in her forties, I'd say - her aching sadness only added to her ravishing beauty. D.H. Lawrence would have approved.

Don't keep us in suspense, did you? :-0
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Don't keep us in suspense, did you? :-0
    Lawrence certainly would have, possibly "in the Italian way", but sadly I did not.

• Options
    cafctom said:

I'm going to Newquay for a stag weekend this Friday with 7 other lads.

As best man I am trying to sort out some decent places to go for both evenings. We've got coasteering on Saturday morning, which should be great fun with a steaming hangover.

Anyone got any recommendations from recent visits?

sordid then Divas was the place to be, some fantastic scenery and walks if you are more refined.