Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Work permits

This has sod all to do with Charlton (although you could argue that we have some sort of axe to grind when we were denied the opportunity to sign Bolanos a couple of years back), but can anyone tell me with a straight face that they understand what the rules are regarding signing players from non-EU countries? I note that Stoke have just paid about 2 million quid for some non-entity from Uruguay - Diego Arismendi - who has played a sum total of two games for the national side (including at least one friendly). I thought you had to have played in something like 75% of your country's competitive internationals over the past two years? Has that changed?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I thought you had to have played in something like 75% of your country's competitive internationals over the past two years? Has that changed?

It was that or being seen as having enough quality/potential to contribute to football in the country, something like that, though not sure how that's judged and exactly how it works. You can also appeal if it's rejected as far as I know.

We also had problems with the Brazillian/Japanese player Alex and of course the Ivory Coast players we've had out on loan in Europe for the last few years.

Had a look at that link and he's 21, they're paying up to £4.8m so I guess he's seen as a big prospect.