Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scholarships in the USA

Exam results have just been released for A-Level and GCSE students and with the state of this country at the moment i.e. students leaving and not being able to find work etc, ithought i would offer my experience and advice for anybody who is around the 18-23 year old bracket and is thinking of going to University but is also good at a certain sport.

After leaving school with 8 GCSE'S and just 3 AS levels i decided i didnt want to go to University. So i decided to go off to work. Then, when hearing the tales of friends at university i thought 'ill have abit of that' but sadly didnt have near enough UCAS points. I was playing football for Dartford U18's at the time and was also palying for the reserves. A first-team player had just returned from America where he went to University but had his tuition and housing paid for as he represented the Uni at 'Soccer'. So, after abit of research i joined an agency (for around £300) and they promoted me to University's and their soccer coaches. I had some contact with a few coaches and one in particular really liked me. He was from Ipswich originally and back in England to see his parents for Christmas. Fortunately i had a game away to Histon during that time and he came to watch. After the game he said he would be in touch and offered me a % scholarship meaning i would pay around 4k per year, close to what UK students pay.
I wont ramble on but essentially, i spent 3 years in the US, obtained a degree in Geography and played 'soccer' at a very competetive level, travelled across the country and met some amazing people. One of my ex team-mates, also from the UK, is now coaching out there as a full time job (earning great money).

Im sure alot of people have relatives or friends that are considering their options at the moment, so i thought i would just throw a suggestion into the hat. I cannot justify how good a time i had and highly recomend it.

Please ask if you want any further info as it can be a very complex procedure. Hope i havent bored anybody!! :)

Comments

• Options
    My mate went on a full scholarship a few years back, was spotted playing at an England Schoolboy trial, got a degree in business then got his masters in business paid for by coaching and playing at a good level. Now he's 40 has a great job and life and coaches a really good kids team and gets paid well for it. I visited him when he was at the college, probably one of the best weeks I had....US colleges, great laugh!
  • Options
    Sounds amazing! I also had poor UCAS points (C,D, E) but managed to get in to a decent uni to do a subject that I didn't want to study. I worked hard at the subject and got a year in Australia through it! Great time and met some great people, also managed to do a 4th year (masters) which I got a scholarship for. :-)
  • Options
    One of my school mates (Anthony Howard, won player of the year for AFC Dons a couple of years ago), left AFC and is now coaching in the US.

Seems to love it.
  • Options
    Chap I knew from school got a scholarship and is still out there and now coaching in North Carolina. I understand he has thoroughly enjoyed his last 17 years or so
  • Options
    My brother's mate is doing a soccer scholarship at Texas state. It sound like a fantastic opportunity, he's a decent little player so he should do well.
  • Options
    We have become big supporters of NCAA Division I soccer, which is becoming more popular in the U.S. Our local university currently holds the national title and replaced a team depleted by students choosing to turn professional with a mix of American and international prospects. The level of play continues to improve and there seems to be a growing demand for young, talented amateurs to fill the ranks at any number of hundreds of colleges and universities in this country.

A number of Brits have been part of the top teams' recruiting classes this year, like James Belshaw at Duke University; Ryan Robb at Marquette; and Robert Hoyle at the University of California Santa Barbara.

There are obviously many more who play for colleges that are not as competitive and that is an important thing to bear in mind: the sheer number of universities and colleges that field competitive teams (and in all divisions -- as college sports are split into divisions depending on a number of factors) means that it should be possible to find someplace -- even if its surrounded by corn fields in Nebraska -- to get an inexpensive (free) education if you have above-average competence at the sport.
  • Options
    My mate is playing out their right now, he was spotted playing for England school boys. He went out there expecting to walk it and he says the Americans are really talented and reckons they'll be a force in years to come.
  • Options
    One of the kids from the university up the block from our house has gone on to win a starting job in the midfield of Rangers and the national team; we recently watched two others hold their own against Barca's front line in a fun exhibition against Beckham's current squad and watched one other acquit himself well in a not-so-fun exhibition against the new galacticos of RMA.

Level of play seems to improve, if only incrementally, each year, as does the skill of the players.
  • Options
    Great story Gary, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    One of my stepson's friends from school was on Millwall's books as a youngster. To cut a long story short, he didn't make it as a pro because of an injury so he took his coaching badges. Worked for CAFC on the community programme for a while but now that he's got his UEFA licence he works for Man Utd. Is based in Dubai with an all expenses paid lifestyle and travels the world setting up 'soccer' schools to identify new talent.I am led to understand that it was he who recommended McGinty to Man Utd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a mate who went out there and hated it. Ain't for everybody but a great opportunity if you can.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]My mate is playing out their right now, he was spotted playing for England school boys. He went out there expecting to walk it and he says the Americans are really talented and reckons they'll be a force in years to come.

My mate said that 20 years ago when he went, the problem is not a lack of talent but a lack of places for them to continue playing once their college career is over. There just isn't the infrastructure that exists in countries like ours regarding football. They also come out of college aged 22 and as crazy at it seems may have missed the boat on the pro scene, they are a few years behind the european youngsters.

Brilliant opportunity though to experience a different culture and get a great education while playing football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK[/cite]My mate is playing out their right now, he was spotted playing for England school boys. He went out there expecting to walk it and he says the Americans are really talented and reckons they'll be a force in years to come.

My mate said that 20 years ago when he went, the problem is not a lack of talent but a lack of places for them to continue playing once their college career is over. There just isn't the infrastructure that exists in countries like ours regarding football. They also come out of college aged 22 and as crazy at it seems may have missed the boat on the pro scene, they are a few years behind the european youngsters.

Brilliant opportunity though to experience a different culture and get a great education while playing football.

100% agree. Always wondered what if we had the same sort of competitive level at our university's. Players that dont make the grade will at least have an education behind them, and lower league teams would be able to pick up a few players, almost like a draft in the US.
  • Options
    Callum Christie who was one of our Academy prospects was let go earlier this year. He was a very promising goalkeeper in my opinion, if a little short. He's now in the US at a university in Kentucky on a soccer scholarship and is loving it.
  • Options
    Gary, that's a great post. My stepson has been selected after trials and the next step is to come up with the fees and for him to take the SAT exam. The agency want £1200 to take him on (and that was after negotiation). That's a bit different to your £300 - did you have experience of other agencies?
  • Options
    Hi h, what agency are you using?...£1200 is a rediculous amount of money. I used http://www.cpoauk.com/. To be perfectly honest, they dont actually do alot. If your stepson has already chosen a University and they are interested, once he passes his SAT exam then the college offer a national letter of intent (basically a contract). The best thing to do is speak to the college directly, especially the head coach and the International student department. This will also give you an idea of how much the university want him. Universitys are fiercely competetive and will do alot to get good players. I had one coach fly over to have dinner!.
    The Uni will then give you all forms that need completing, ie Visa's. This can become complicated, but American colleges are so organised they are only an email or call away to help.
    Ultimately, you only really need an agency to do the promotion side of it all.
    i went to http://www.rockathletics.com/index.aspx?tab=soccer&path=msoc and highly recommend it. The Coach is superb and the facilities outstanding.
    Whisper me if you need anymore info and ill be more than happy to help.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]The Coach is superb and the facilities outstanding.

At the time my mate was over there I was playing non-league and I couldn't believe the facilities they had there compared to here. The floodlights were amazing something a League 2 side might have. They had gym facilities that put my current overpriced London gym to shame. And he only went to a smallish school. I think I came back and had a midweek game down at Sittingbourne, could hardly see the ball under those lights!

Gary sounds like you should start your own agency?
  • Options
    Cheers Gary. I will whisper the rest.
  • Options
    Its something that i've thought about doing Nug, suppose it would only require a website to get going.

Yeah the stadiums and floodlights etc are amazing. The best part for me though was being treated like a pro. Training everyday, rub downs from physio's, tracksuits, the team eating together, flights to games and staying in hotels. Good times.
  • Options
    My daughter has a scholarship and is playing NCAA Div III soccer in Massachusetts. Facilities are brilliant and its a great school. I would recommend it to anyone. I wish I did it when I was younger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's all go!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]

My mate said that 20 years ago when he went,the problem is not a lack of talent but a lack of places for them to continue playing once their college career is over. There just isn't the infrastructure that exists in countries like ours regarding football. They also come out of college aged 22 and as crazy at it seems may have missed the boat on the pro scene, they are a few years behind the european youngsters.

100% agree. Always wondered what if we had the same sort of competitive level at our university's. Players that dont make the grade will at least have an education behind them, and lower league teams would be able to pick up a few players, almost like a draft in the US.

This is something that I think we are also improving on. Although there has been recent turmoil with our lower leagues that threaten their future existence, we now have three established professional divisions and a developmental league. We are season ticket holders for two third division teams, including Crystal Palace's American affiliate, and enjoy the games. Perhaps there is some hope for opportunity for quality players here. However, outside of shots in this country, I am heartened by the number of American footballers who try their luck in foreign leagues -- particularly in Asia.
  • Options
    Crippled Palarse's American affiliate..................wash thy mouth out pilgrim !