Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Viewing Properties - what questions to ask?

edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
For those of you following my story from last year and earlier this, I'm glad to say things have finally sorted themselves out now. The divorce is all but finalised (the ex and I have finally come to an amicable settlement) and with the cash I've managed to scrape together, I've been accepted for a second mortgage which means I can definitely buy somewhere so I've got a roof over my head.

Although I looked round dozens of properties with the ex when we moved before, I just sort of nodded my head and said "yes dear, whatever you want dear" etc and she done most if not all the talking. But tonight, I'm actually going to view 2 houses and a flat on my own. So my question is, what questions should I ask, what questions can I ask, what questions cannot be asked? Is there a protocol for making idle chit chat with the owner? or do you just do the silent, head nodding in appreciation type thing?...I havent got a clue really.

In terms of the flat specifically, I know I need to ask about whether freehold/leasehold etc and what the ground rent and maintainence fees are if any. The only other questions I can think of is when was the property last rewired and what are the neighbours like?

Is there anything else I should be asking??? so my CL friends, what do you suggest/recommend.

Comments

• Options
    if you like the look of any, visit the area(s) of the properties at different times of day/night without the agent. they are not gonna show you a location at the time they know ASB/traffic noise etc is likely to take place.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Better to be shown round by an estate agent on a first viewing I find.

Anyway, "what is your position" is one to ask the owner (ie. why are you selling, are you looking to buy etc.)

And if you yourself are not selling, ie. no chain your end then make sure the owners know since it is very much in your favour.

Ask how much the gas and electrics were for the last 12 months.
  • Options
    Really good to hear fella.

Idle chit chat is good and you can find a list of things to ask here:

Money Saving Expert
  • Options
    The only other questions I can think of is when was the property last rewired and what are the neighbours like?

A good start, also:

Ask about heating bills etc, what the council tax is and things that aren't visible - such as cavity wall and loft insulation.

Don't be afraid to mosey around the area before you visit the property (or after), just see what it's like - are shops, rail connections nearby (if you commute to work by train etc). For example is there a major road nearby that may be quiet in the evening, but insufferably noisy during commuting hours?

As you are viewing after dark - if you like any of the properties ask if you can return at the weekend so you can see what the place looks like in daylight and maybe take someone who'll have a different opinion to you - they may spot things that you'll miss.

Have a look at window frames etc, if they are wooden is the paint flaking and will they need renovating. If they say that they've just had the house re-wired/re-carpeted, put in double glazing etc...then ask how long ago and is there a guarantee in place etc.

Don't be afraid to be blunt - buying a house is likely to be the most expensive thing you do and if you get the wrong house, it's likely to be an expensive mistake.
  • Options
    if you know anyone in the general building trade they will often be able to spot any potential problems or cover-ups better. I found this out when buying my first house.

take them along with you to a second viewing if you think you really like it.
  • Options
    First question to ask is.....

"So how much do you want?"
  • Options
    If you like the place and fancy making an offer.......

ENSURE YOU GET A FULL SURVEY OF THE PROPERTY

Will save you a fortune in the long run.
  • Options
    We were pretty upset sometimes by some of the work generated for us by new and inexperienced house owners. Things like young couples with a baby moving in and finding totally defunct heating and plumbing systems and massive leaks when the water was turned on. So from our persepctive, ask how old the boiler is, who installed it, ask to see service records. Check ceilings and radiators for the tell tale signs of leaking. Agree fully with Elthamaddick's point, could literally save you thousands.
  • Options
    Council tax band. Can make a significant difference to monthly budgeting.
  • Options
    I'd deffo go along with the idea of visits at different times of the day. In particular try visiting at about 8.45 in the morning - this will sort out whether there's a school run or similar in the area that could cause parking problems.

When you visit, don't go around saying how nice everything is. Find some things to find fault with, you can use these things as a bargaining chip to negotiate on the price with (though don't go over the top, slate someone's home and piss them off).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do any nigels live next door?

How many electric sockets are there? you can never have too many sockets.
  • Options
    Agree with all the above, but also flush the loo and check what the water pressure is like from the taps. With the flat, is it a custom build or a conversion? Custom builds generally have better sound insulation between the properties than conversions, but it depends when the conversion was done. They may not know the answer, but it's also worth checking whether the services go direct in and out of the flat or through the neighbours, as you'd need to come to some arrangement for access if there was a problem.
  • Options
    If less than 10 years old the property should have an NHBC certificate.

I believe flat conversions now have to have NHBC too. Came in about 2003 I think.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Might be an idea to say where the properties are, as I'm sure there will be people on here that live there, on in the surrounding area and could tell you pros/cons?
  • Options
    Re: the flat, be careful if it's freehold as a lot of lenders won't lend at the moment as I've just found out. Used to be the case that having the freehold on the building was a bonus but these days lenders are worried about borrowers defaulting and them ending up repossessing and therefore becoming the freeholder with what that entails. Don't think it'll be a problem if it's a share of the freehold though.

With a flat also - think about where you are going to put your stuff as storage space is almost always a problem and you may not have the loft.
  • Options
    Sockets - if its older there may only be a few - this drove me nuts at my old house

Internet - dunno your work situation but make sure its not in a NOTSPOT if you need internet for work - my connection from home is epically pants now

Bills is important

Look at general upkeep of the house - if its messy the chances are they have done little by way of maintenance. (May also be hiding things behind mess too like damp patches)

Look at the roof as roof repairs are expensive

Go at several different times of the day

and most importantly - follow your instincts!!!
  • Options
    I have a part time job of showing people round houses for an estate agent, from my expereince I would suggest that you need more than one visit to a property to know if it's the one for you, the first visit should be a general do I like it and can I afford it so you need to ask about outgoings such as gas, elec, council tax, just get a feel for the property and how you would live in it. If you like it then check out the area at different times of day and then go back and ask more detailed questions, such as:
    how long they have lived there,
    why are they moving,
    ask to see utility bills,
    do they have anywhere to move to
    check rooms for where you would put furniture
    ask what they are leaving behind (if anything)

If you still like it have a proper survey done, don't rely on a mortgage survey, I've seen them done and all they often do is count doors, radiators etc. Dependent on the result of the survey make an offer to the estate agent, you can use the result of the survey to negotiate the price down if something is wrong.

Good luck
  • Options
    Run the bath (to check the plumbing). Put the TV on (to check the reception). Call someone on your mobile (ditto). Find out how long it's been on the market (ask both the agents and the vendors to check their stories tally). Open and, more importantly, close, every door and window yourself (don't just let the vendors do it for you). Ask them to move furniture, like sofas (and check what they might be hiding). Try all the lights - if any don't work, ask for them to be replaced while you are there (you don't want to end up with light fittings that are broken or dangerous).

Ask the following questions of the vendors:

"Have you had to do much?" (Meaning either have you done much, ie decorating or have you improved or fixed much, ie DIY - how they answer is as important as what they say).

"Why would you want to move from here?" (Some people may say, "we're moving abroad", which is ok, but some are honest/stupid enough to say "we don't get on with the neighbours, the house is always cold and we've been burgled nine times this week")

"How did you come up with the current asking price?" (I love this one!)

Don't forget, it doesn't matter how much they want and it doesn't matter how much you offer; what matters is what you finally agree on, after your full survey.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    As for Internet, you may also want to check coverage and signal quality of freeview tv and digital radio.
  • Options
    Ask if there are any fit neighbours and whether they sunbathe topless or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Check out sites like...

...these?
  • Options
    Turn taps on and off same with lights, flush toilets, if you are still looking in the winter feel radiators. If you see a rug in an unusual position have a look under it, it may be hiding a stain. Ask how often the central heating is serviced and by whom.

If people are offended by you looking inot every nook and cranny, just apologise and tell them you once bought a place and loads of things were digusied. A true story from friends of mine, they bought a house and the carpet was fitted in the bedroom, when they moved in they discovered that the fitting incvluded around the bed so a great big hole was left in the carpet.

Be careful that you don't say any thing that could be offensive, I once made a comment about he solicitors all being croooked, the seller replied very frostily that her brother was her solicitor. Same people failed to tell us, that their neighbours had moved out and rented the property to a biker gang .. fortunately by the time we moved in they had been evicted.
  • Options
    I knew I could rely on you lot...cheers peeps.
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Might be an idea to say where the properties are, as I'm sure there will be people on here that live there, on in the surrounding area and could tell you pros/cons?

All are in Bexleyheath and as I've spent most of my life around there, think I'm ok on that on.
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]How many electric sockets are there? you can never have too many sockets.

That was a real bug bear in my last house, especially trying to plug in all my gadgets.
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Internet - dunno your work situation but make sure its not in a NOTSPOT if you need internet for work - my connection from home is epically pants now

If I cant get my 50mb virgin pipe moved with me, I'm not interested anyhow lol
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Ask if there are any fit neighbours and whether they sunbathe topless or not.

Brilliant. Thats probably the most important questions out of all of them. Who care's what the house is like eh when you've got a good view out of the window ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Turn taps on and off same with lights, flush toilets, if you are still looking in the winter feel radiators. If you see a rug in an unusual position have a look under it, it may be hiding a stain. Ask how often the central heating is serviced and by whom.

I guess with one of the properties being at the top of a hill, I really should check out the water pressure on the taps...

Cheers guys, you've been a great help. Will report back on what I asked later tonight :-)
  • Options
    If its a divorcee and she is fit - "Any chance of throwing in a shag, with the property?"
  • Options
    I'm looking at a flat on Saturday, was quite confident until I saw this thread!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Do any nigels live next door?

It has already crossed my mind if I see evidence of any Ars*nal stuff in any house/flat I view. I would have to have the property exorcised and cleaned from top to bottom with bleach before I could think about living there ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Do any nigels live next door?

It has already crossed my mind if I see evidence of any Ars*nal stuff in any house/flat I view. I would have to have the property exorcised and cleaned from top to bottom with bleach before I could think about living there ;-)

I've recently moved and whilst viewing flats I turned down one because the departing tenant showing me around was Millwall and was wearing the shirt and had calendars/posters etc. around the place. I couldn't get out of there quickly enough!!
  • Options
    Ask why there's a new floor in the basement....

Do a google news search on the area, mate of mine moved into a gaff previoisly owned by one of the steven lawrence accused, old bill riped his garden to shreds a few months after he moved in...

When me and me significant other were looking were offerd a cracking 3 bed house in abbeywood nice and big well decorated... luckily I lived down the road and new 2 months earlier a bloke escaped from prision and shot his girlfriend her boyfriend then himself in the kichen.... umm thanks but no thanks...

On a serious note have a drive around the area after dark where ure looking so u can see if there's gangs of kids etc..
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Don't let the 'wow' factor influence your judgement. It's possible to overlook or minimise all sorts of potential problems just because as you walked up the front path you thought 'This is it! This is the one!'. Also, if it's a family type house and the seller is living alone, check any patios for recent disturbance (and flower beds).
  • Options
    If you take a fancy to one, get friendly with the people who live there (if anyone does) and keep thinking of excuses to go round to measure etc but it'll give you a good feel of what the neighbours are like all the time, how hot/cold the place gets in various rooms.

Parking is a biggie

Ask who did the double glazing/extension/bathroom/kitchen etc

How fit the lady next door is (or if you're really unlucky the daughter who moves out as you move in)