Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Teachers - is it me?

"While I always make sure that each child's birthday is celebrated by discussing it with them and singing 'Happy Birthday' I am afraid that I will be unable to cut up and distribute birthday cakes that are brought into school whole. I am more than willing to give out sweets or cake if they are already prepared for the children"

This Item 6 out of 7 in a letter I received today from my 6 year old's new teacher today.

As a parent I would hope that she would have a little more to worry about than CUTTING UP F******* CAKES!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Presumably there were six other things to worry about too!
  • Options
    exactly. thats why she doesnt want to waste time cutting cakes :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the other items...

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=60349
  • Options
    At least this teacher has been preparing for their return to work rather than whinging on their facebook status update about having to go back to work after 6 weeks off.......

My heart bleeds!!
  • Options
    Mate, they wouldn't have that in North Korea!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]At least this teacher has been preparing for their return to work rather than whinging on their facebook status update about having to go back to work after 6 weeks off.......

My heart bleeds!!

tell me about it. my mrs is a teacher. she's been moaning about going back for ages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]At least this teacher has been preparing for their return to work rather than whinging on their facebook status update about having to go back to work after 6 weeks off.......

My heart bleeds!!

That's made me grin Lou

A bird I know has been whingeing non-stop on that thing about how she is happy she has 6 weeks off, how she is bored with 6 weeks off, how she don't want to go back to work after 6 weeks off. I'd hate to have 6 weeks paid leave all in one hit to not know what to do with myself.....
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The problem falcy is we teachers sometimes get it in the neck from parents who think we should cut up cakes distribute birthday invitations and generally run around doing stuff that is not really about educating their child. Sadly we have to spell it out in polite little letters when two simple words would often be more appropriate and satisfying.
    And yes it could be argued that we could easily turn cutting a cake into a maths activity about division and promotes an inclusive sharing ethos but then it would have to go onto our planning with clear learning objectives and success criteria. We also have to make sure there is nothing in the cake that triggers an allergy to any child and also we would have to consider if we are promoting healthy eating in schools if we start dishing out cake.
    You might think I am exaggerating on this but I'm not. Welcome to Primary Education in England 2009.
  • Options
    There had to be an elf n safety element to this. Mind you, probably best not to give em cake as most kids seem to be bordering on obese anyway. No your kid will not starve if he/she will not eat their tea tonight, so don't give in to their demands for cake or biscuits as when the fat fecker ends up the size of Andy Reid it will be your fault, not the kids or the pie factory.
  • Options
    Haha 3blokes, let them eat cake!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If only we could! ;-)
  • Options
    To answer your question falconwood_1, yes, it is you! I would hope that, as a parent, you had more important things to worry about than getting hot under the collar about this request from a teacher who is simply pointing out politely that she has more important education-related things to do and that organising birthday feasts for children is for parents. I'm sure she writes from bitter experience!

My daughter is a primary school teacher in a very deprived area and I think she and all her colleagues are saints to withstand all the pressures heaped on them from all directions. Teachers in challenging schools like that are usually exhausted at the end of a school year, and 6 weeks is what they need to wind down and recover. Teaching is one of the toughest jobs there is, and in the UK (for some reason) one of the least-regarded.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lots of people have tough jobs, get poorly paid, are stressed, deal with idiots etc etc.

But most don't get 6 weeks off, spend the whole time moaning about it or expect other people to care / think they are saints
  • Options
    yeah, but they do get a six week holiday at a stretch doncha know....so the teachers can use the summer to ponce about in climate camps.....easily the best solution is not to waste money on teachers wages, and to close down state education, the parents know their kids best, they had 'em, let them rear 'em, we could save a fortune and probably reduce taxes into the bargain...lets face it exams are getting easier, so passing them don't mean jack chite...the kids are all complete wasters anyway, after all you just have to look at them to know, you don't need any more evidence than that...the ones with the ginger hair are the worst...people go to work and leave their dogs alone in the house all day, at least the kids would be able to keep the dogs company.......wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    sounds like a load of old bollo to me.....

and educating kids that everything should be so rule orientated is hugely counter productive....

education is mor elike indoctrination to me...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Haha 3blokes, let them eat cake!
    Excellent! He made a good point, though.
  • Options
    HEard a debate tonight on the radio, apparently the teachers union are being pressurised by the gov to get all of there members to sign a statement basically stating that they are not allowed to get drunk, even at wknds, due to the damaging effects of drunken teachers antics being easily publised.

Thats well out fo order, but in fairness every teacher I know - and thats a hell of a lot now, atleast 20/30% of all my friends get absolutely shitfaced every wknd like they are still students!!!
  • Options
    The GTC are hoping to discipline teachers who don't break any law, but who bring teaching into 'disrepute', hence the 'you can't get p*ssed' story.
  • Options
    Sevensix bless you, but none of your points are relevant to my original point.

Maybe yr daughter should get a transfer to my sons school where the only knife crime she will encounter is the one in the cutlery drawer not being used to cut cakes up for 6 year old kids.
  • Options
    They have cutlery drawers in classrooms now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as someone whoo has a sister in law who's a teacher and hear the things they are TOLD THEY must do u are being harsh mate. these techers hands are tied over everything they do.

all schools are petrified of being sued.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]

My heart bleeds!!

That's made me grin Lou

A bird I know has been whingeing non-stop on that thing about how she is happy she has 6 weeks off, how she is bored with 6 weeks off, how she don't want to go back to work after 6 weeks off. I'd hate to have 6 weeks paid leave all in one hit to not know what to do with myself.....

Smack bang in the middle of summer too! Lifes hard.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]as someone whoo has a sister in law who's a teacher and hear the things they are TOLD THEY must do u are being harsh mate. these teAchers hands are tied over everything they do.

all schools are petrified of being sued.[/quote]

That's very true, you should also see the amount of paperwork head teachers get.

Make a coffee and you have to fill 6 different forms out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]as someone whoo has a sister in law who's a teacher and hear the things they are TOLD THEY must do u are being harsh mate. these teAchers hands are tied over everything they do.

all schools are petrified of being sued.

That's very true, you should also see the amount of paperwork head teachers get.

Make a coffee and you have to fill 6 different forms out.

As a primary and a secondary governor, my sympathy is with the teacher. However, I think she should just have said that cakes supplied whole will be consumed in the staff room . . .
  • Options
    Teachers .....?

I thought this thread was about drinking whiskey.
  • Options
    Teaching is a funny old mix of things these days. Teaching kids can be great, fun rewarding and enjoyable if you are allowed to just get on with doing that, if your head teacher is good and you have the support of parents.
    Ultimately you either are able to build on the foundations that parents have laid down for their children or else sadly you are challenging the barriers that parents have unwittingly placed in the way of their children learning.
    If a school gets its act right ,the parents are on board and the kids know the boundaries and feel valued for who they are then the place becomes a great place to be, and the job is great, despite all the endless initiatives and pointless paperwork we get saddled with from HM Govt.
    But if the school is poorly led and parents and children are not united with the school then it is an awful job stressful and demoralising. When it is like that I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    All in all there are plenty of worse jobs and probably quite a few that are better.
    And the holidays, well yes they are a perk of the job. But we can't get huge bonuses or claim for second houses, etc.
    It's just goes with the job.
    And most teachers do work hard generally in my experience.
  • Options
    I used to teach. I lasted 2 years full time in Barnsley. Loved it, hated it, and worked hard. Left with an undefeated Y7 footy team and my sanity. I'm not sure how much longer either one of those would last though if I'd have carried on. Teachers need the break, there's no comparison to this desk job I'm in now. I now come home with signs of life rather than passing out on the sofa for 2 hours before working another couple of hours into the night. You have to be on the top of your game (100% effort) from 8 in the morning til 4 in the evening with no chance of a break. Teachers, I salute you. I'm sat here feeling very smug that I'm not teaching year 9 now!
  • Options
    My respect for teachers increased immensely when I discovered (from one in the trade) that many of them play Pac-man when invigilating during exams.

As they walk leisurely up and down the exam room aisles, one teacher assumes the role of Pac-man, while others are the ghosts.

If only the kids knew.

Ooops!
  • Options
    It is probably a New Labour directive that teachers should not be able to cut up cakes in case they (the teacher) hurts themselves and sues the local authority.
  • Options
    As Sting once said, being a teacher is like being a rock star - you spend your life trying to entertain hooligans for 45 minutes.

Not sure I'd do it for 20 weeks holiday - the teaching that is.