Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Footballers betting on matches

I wonder if Pardew had money on us to get relegated ?

Le Tissier in failed betting scam

Le Tissier scored 162 goals in 378 league starts for Southampton
Former Southampton forward Matt Le Tissier has admitted taking part in a failed spread-betting scam.

In his autobiography, Taking Le Tiss, he admitted gambling on the time of the first throw-in in Southampton's 2-0 win at Wimbledon in April 1995.

"I couldn't see a problem with making a few quid on the time of the first throw-in," said the 40-year-old.

Le Tissier tried to kick the ball out of play, but it was kept in by Neil Shipperley, who was unaware of the bet.

The former England international added: "Spread betting had just started to become popular.

"It was a new idea that allowed punters to back anything from the final score to the first throw-in.

Shipps knew nothing about the bet and managed to head it back into play

Matt Le Tissier
"There was a lot of money to be made by exploiting it, we stood to win well into four figures."

As Southampton captain for the Premier League game, Le Tissier was able to persuade his Wimbledon counterpart to let the Saints kick off in exchange for letting the Dons kick towards their own fans.

"It seemed to be going like clockwork," said Le Tissier. "We kicked-off, the ball was tapped to me and I went to hit it out towards Neil Shipperley on the left wing.

"As it was live on television, I didn't want to make it too obvious, so I tried to hit it just over his head.

"But, with so much riding on it, I was a bit nervous and didn't give it enough welly.

"The problem was that Shipps knew nothing about the bet and managed to reach it and even head it back into play."

Le Tissier, who made over 500 appearances for the Saints, then explained that the longer the ball remained in play, the more money he stood to lose.

"I have never run so much in my life," said the Guernsey-born player. "Suddenly it was no longer a question of winning money.

I'd never have done anything that might have affected the outcome of the match

Matt Le Tissier
"We stood to lose a lot of cash if it went much longer than 75 seconds before the ball went out. I had visions of a guy coming to kneecap me."

The ball eventually went out of play on 70 seconds, meaning Le Tissier neither won or lost money.

Southampton then went on to win the game, with Le Tissier scoring the first of their two goals.

"I've never tried spread betting since," he concluded.

"I'd never have done anything that might have affected the outcome of the match."

Comments

• Options
    I think around that time some West Ham players did something similar and got away with it.

Last year some Weymouth fans made a fair bit of money after learning that their first XI were going on strike and their youth team would have to play in a first team fixture, which they lost pretty disastrously. In mitigation they contributed their winnings to the club to get them out of the financial hole they were in.
  • Options
    wimbledons penalty taker was always decided once the first goalscorer odds were known.

allegedly.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Steve Claridge has just signed a playing contract for Weymouth. Let's hope he jacks in the BBC highlights job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I think around that time some West Ham players did something similar and got away with it.

Last year some Weymouth fans made a fair bit of money after learning that their first XI were going on strike and their youth team would have to play in a first team fixture, which they lost pretty disastrously. In mitigation they contributed their winnings to the club to get them out of the financial hole they were in.
    That's an interesting story, covering an innocent punt ... unless... they "learned" about the strike from one of the players or the club itself. In which case, it's a blatant deception and a clear case of match-fixing. It would be interesting to see the full trail of evidence on that one.
  • Options
    It isn't really match fixing, unless they persuaded the players to strike. However inside dealing may have come into it.

Another case was the snooker commentator and notorious punter Willie Thorne. He found out that one of the snooker players was using a borrowed cue as the one he usually used was broken. Thinking this would put him at a match losing disadvantage he gambled heavily on the opponent, but he lost...
  • Options
    I no for a fact West Ham done things like this way back and got away with it.
  • Options
    If Le Tissier was trying to win money by kicking the ball out of play, then he wasn't doing everything he could to win the game. That affects the outcome of the match, however small a factor it is. Pretty disrespectful to the fans and other players who weren't in on it, imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]If Le Tissier was trying to win money by kicking the ball out of play, then he wasn't doing everything he could to win the game. That affects the outcome of the match, however small a factor it is. Pretty disrespectful to the fans and other players who weren't in on it, imo.

Absolutely agree. It's all very well saying "I'd never do anything to effect the outcome of the match..." but what if they'd have scored from the throw, or a player suffered an injury/sending off during the resulting pasage of play?

Trying to make light of a very serious issue IMO.
  • Options
    I think Southampton should be deducted 10 points for this :-)
  • Options
    It's complete rubbish and disingenuous at that. After dinner bore who used to be a footballers, wants another free lunch. Jocular banal paunchstar claims happless failure at illegal manipulation. Poor old Le Tiss never won any money but nearly lost a lot. What a crock of shite does he expect us to believe that after this failed setup, he never set about with the same contacts to do it properly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Another case was the snooker commentator and notorious punter Willie Thorne. He found out that one of the snooker players was using a borrowed cue as the one he usually used was broken. Thinking this would put him at a match losing disadvantage he gambled heavily on the opponent, but he lost...

never lend money or bet with willie thorne he is a knocker FACT (allegedly)