Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Overuse of "Legend"

I've just read a classic today. Someone on another thread who I shall not name suggested that Kelly Youga could become a Charlton legend.

Surely, this should have been in the jokes category.

Hales, Mendonca , Kinsella, Powell , Rufus, Youga. Behave !

NB Youga had his best game for us yesterday and has had a good start to the season (well done Kelly) . But legend ?

Comments

• If he scores the winning penalty in the JTP final at Wembley he might be half way to legend status.
  • Sorry, Covered End, just a typo ....... the poster meant to write Youga is a Bell Leg End.

;o)
  • A terrible start to the season, but brilliant to see Youga now grow in confidence. As although the sarting 11 is good, the side still needs irrational energy. When Youga has that positivity like he did in his first few games back from Scunthorpe he was good.... very good.
  • edited September 2009
    Ha ha I wonder what idiot started that thread ;-)
    To be fair the thread did ask if they "could" become a legendary side rather than state categorically that they already were:-)
    And a few have said it is far too early to say which seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    In a "legendary" team you have names that stand out the rest are recalled as part of a good outfit.
    I mentioned Youga as having a good performance yesterday and with his hair cut he does remind me of CP a bit.
    But I wasn't bestowing the title of footballing god on him just yet. A hat trick against the saints next week then maybe ;-)
    But I do agree the word "legend " is overused these days so how about I just ask do they have the makings of a fine team that maybe we will be recalling fondly in years to come? :-)
  • no chance youga legend, has a couple of good games yes but legend over-statement of the century!

would you put Scotty parker in the legend status or was he not here long enough? i reckon a few years more with us then he wud have been
  • The suggestion is that Youga "could" become a legend, not is or will be.

He started the season poorly but has improved and gotten better with each game and is no doubt benefitting from our current form and the confidence that is running through the team.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]The suggestion is that Youga "could" become a legend, not is or will be.

He started the season poorly but has improved and gotten better with each game and is no doubt benefitting from our current form and the confidence that is running through the team.

Yes I know that's what I said BFR.
  • [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]Ha ha I wonder what idiot started that thread ;-)
    To be fair the thread did ask if they "could" become a legendary side rather than state categorically that they already were:-)
    And a few have said it is far too early to say which seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    In a "legendary" team you have names that stand out the rest are recalled as part of a good outfit.
    I mentioned Youga as having a good performance yesterday and with his hair cut he does remind me of CP a bit.
    But I wasn't bestowing the title of footballing god on him just yet. A hat trick against the saints next week then maybe ;-)
    But I do agree the word "legend " is overused these days so how about I just ask do they have the makings of a fine team that maybe we will be recalling fondly in years to come? :-)

It wasn't you that suggested Youga could become a legend :-)
  • LOL Covered End in that case I'll keep out of it ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    would you put Scotty parker in the legend status or was he not here long enough? i reckon a few years more with us then he wud have been
    In terms of quality of players, he's the best I've seen at the club, I think, but left under a bit of a cloud, and can't be a legend. Clive wasn't with us that long either, so it's not just long service or quality based it's doing something that makes the difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• My Chelsea supporting mate in work said Jose Mourinho is a legend. A Chelsea legend yes I said, but not a footballing one, surely?
  • [cite]Posted By: EastTerrace[/cite]My Chelsea supporting mate in work said Jose Mourinho is a legend. A Chelsea legend yes I said, but not a footballing one, surely?

Doubt very much he knows much about football so wouldnt take anything he says in seriousness unless of course he isnt a plastic.
  • Not me this time!
  • edited September 2009
    Of course Youga could become a Charlton legend, so could any of the team. Is he/are they at the moment - no absolutely not?
  • I think there are two types of Charlton legend.Examples of which below.

List 1
    Bartrum
    Hales
    Lee
    Rufus
    Mendonca
    Parker

List 2
    Simonsen
    Leaburn
    Robinson
    K.Jones
    Kishishev

If he works at it,Youga may be able to get into list 2.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Not me this time!
    I'm a big fan of Dazzler21's posts, he always sums up what I'm trying to say brilliantly and has an excellent sense of humour. He's definitely on his way to becoming a Charlton legend, no 2 ways about it! ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]I think there are two types of Charlton legend.Examples of which below.

List 1
    Bartrum
    Hales
    Lee
    Rufus
    Mendonca
    Parker

List 2
    Simonsen
    Leaburn
    Robinson
    K.Jones
    Kishishev

If he works at it,Youga may be able to get into list 2.
    Surely Peacock should be in that first list?!
  • edited September 2009
    Can't we have an 'anti-christ' legends list?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Sooper Al
    Iain Dowie
    Dennis Rommedahl Removed by popular request ! ;o)
    Spotty P*rk*r
    John Fryer

;o)
  • How about the ''iconic'' Kelly Youga ?

Another word used far too much and which should be banned when talking about anything other Derek Hales' beard ...
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Can't we have an 'anti-christ' legends list?

I'll start the ball rolling:

Sooper Al
    Iain Dowie
    Dennis Rommedahl
    Spotty P*rk*r
    John Sunley

;o)

Darren P*tch*r
  • Sponsored links:

• i think you either have to take rommedahl off that list, or add djimi traore, amdy faye, andy gray, luke varney, souleymane diawara, paddy macarthy, mark hudson, darren ambrose and about a hundred others! ;-)
  • It's only a bit of fun, Santa.

But thinking about it, Dennis didn't really knife us ...... he just didn't really show up enough.
    So I'll take him off.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]How about the ''iconic'' Kelly Youga ?

How about the ''ironic'' Kelly Youga ?

Or should that now be enigmatic, after his almost accomplished performance against Brentford ....?

PS: Does he still do his Icons blog, or was that the pun that nearly whooshed over my head ....?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It's only a bit of fun, Santa.

But thinking about it, Dennis didn't really knife us ...... he just didn't really show up enough.
    So I'll take him off.

haha cheers oggy. I always thought rommedahl could have been brilliant for us if we'd used him right.

If we listed all the players who underperformed for us it would be longer than the takeover thread... ;-)