Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

commuting

Was approached by an agent last week. No, not of the footballing type, though I reckon I could still do a job in our midfield, all I lacked to make it to the top was pace, nous, positional sense etc.

No, it was in the procurement field, the role ticked all the right boxes, money, pension, holiday, close to central london head of a department for a uni. Sounded good. What's the catch I started thinking. I soon found out, it if with goldsmiths in new cross. Having worked in the area for a number of years, even if it was over 20 years ago now, I think I might pass on that one. The nearest I will get to there again is if I drunkenly agree to a night in the venue (is it still going). But the thought of working in
That shite hole sends shivers up my spine.

Coming in from the Kent coast I would have to get a train in to london and back out again.

So who has the worst commute? I am currently Hythe on the Kent coast to charing cross, but it is a direct train from 5 minutes drive away and a 10 minute walk from charing cross so not too bad.

Comments

• Options
    I claim the prize of the worst commute. I cycle from New Eltham to Victoria. I love cycling but the worst bit is cycling along Surrey Canal Road next to the Spanners ground. Seeing that place so close every day gives me the arse first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    f***k that JC!...please tell me you take a change of clothes and have a shower when you get there?! Must sweat like a peado on a bouncy castle. :)
  • Options
    Used to take me 100 minutes plus door to door, now I take the Javelin into St Pancras journey time is no more than 60 mins door to door.

JC - You must be mad! Fit but mad!
  • Options
    Will be on javelin tomorrow morning as have a meeting in brum. What one do you get BDL? Do you wear you CL badge?
  • Options
    Shhh. Don't let out that the badges have been issued to the few!

Get the 8.05 normally from Ebbsfleet. Are you parking at the station? It's not cheap!
  • Options
    Will be on that one tomorrow but from Ashford. Got it a couple of times now and it is a good service, if you want to go north, london or beyond.
  • Options
    Couldn't go back to using the cattlewagons on the North Kent line.
  • Options
    Where in Hythe are you Steve?
  • Options
    I have to cycle 3 miles along a lane beside a pretty little creek full of river birds and ducky things, sometimes get jumped at by a deer careering over the hedge, then up this frickin steep hill that goes up and up forever ......and whizz downhill through the Country Park to a quaint converted steamboat passenger ferry built in 1926.

Across the river estuary, I get picked up by a colleague and whizzed off to an office close to the moors.

To think I used to commute from Welling and Bromley to London. I really miss it.

PS: Definition of a fast train: One that stops between stations instead of at them.
  • Options
    ducky things?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Things that go quack .... but several different sizes, shapes colours, quacks, etc
  • Options
    What's wrong with New Cross?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What's wrong with New Cross?

yeah, some of us love it round here...

ok, maybe not love, but its got allot going for it!
  • Options
    I travel from Whitstable to Victoria. I have to catch the first train at 0510 tomorrow so will be setting my alarm for 0430 as I have done for the last two years since I moved here. I don't get home until gone 2030. However, the days off by the Kent coast or countryside make up for the travel which doesn't really bother me too much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Crazy[/cite]I travel from Whitstable to Victoria. I have to catch the first train at 0510 tomorrow so will be setting my alarm for 0430 as I have done for the last two years since I moved here. I don't get home until gone 2030.

You must be crazy ......!

That's one hell of a long day.
    ;o)
  • Options
    That is a longer day than me and my alarm goes off at 5.40 each day. But crazy is right, the weekends living down here and time off make up for it.
  • Options
    Oggy, does the "ducky thing" constitute rush hour in your neck of the woods?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Oggy, does the "ducky thing" constitute rush hour in your neck of the woods?

Very much so, Offy.

It's wonderful on a Summer's morning ...... but very different in the dark in December or in rain lashed January winter gales.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My commute trumps you all. I live in Croydon - therefore, since part of my commute (the beginning and end) involves travelling within Croydon, there's pretty much no way anyone could have to endure the abject f***ing misery I suffer every single day of the week. Unless some of you are also unfortunate enough to live in Croydon - in which case I still have my hole card to play - namely that, not only do I live in Croydon, but I actually live in Broad Green (which makes Thamesmead look like Woldingham Village)

Front door - walk to bus stop
    Bus to East Croydon
    Train to Victoria
    Tube to Oxford Circus
    Walk to office

70 minutes each way - but it feels like five hours
  • Options
    Could be worse Leroy - you could live in Croydon and work in Thamesmead. Although I'm not sure quite what "work" there actually is in Thamesmead!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news you love your job, Leroy.

;o)
  • Options
    Plenty of tarmacing drives firms down there I think, or lucky heather emporiums.
  • Options
    It is down past the Green, just off Red Lion Square. Yeah it can be for certain roles, but once you're in you're in so to put it, and there is plenty of internal vacancies that are reguarly advertised. No i can't imagine they do, that's the sacrifice i suppose. I'm an Information technician, fairly dull but fair pay and i don't intend to start looking for another job just yet the way things are.
  • Options
    "it was in the procurement field, the role ticked all the right boxes, money, pension, holiday, close to central london head of a department for a uni. Sounded good. What's the catch I started thinking. I soon found out, it if with goldsmiths in new cross."

Interestingly Steve - the recruitment agency I work for filled that role on an interim basis last week !
  • Options
    Mine is similar to Leroy's:

Leave my flat on Hogarth Crescent, Croydon - 06.30
    Arrive West Croydon Station - 06.40
    Board the stopping service to London Bridge - 06.45
    Change trains at London Bridge - 07.15
    Arrive Charing Cross - 07.30
    Walk to office in Oxford Street and arrive at 7.50.