Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OLD ARTICLE: Do we still need a Supporters Trust ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I read HI's quote just now which has now been deleted....I think what he said was pretty much spot on.....Ex directors are between a rock and a hard place in a nutshell...too much of a compromise for them to lead anything at this stage.

Id be interested to hear what, if anything the new board had to say regarding the formation of a ST....Id even lend a hand if it was well supported, but my involvement if it was required, would ultimately be very short term as we may well be moving overseas again.
  • Options
    m_2m_2
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Why? What have you done? written a few lines on a forum? None of the events recently have anything to do with us as fans mate, dont delude yourself, the new owners have made all those decisions alone. RM was firmly in the driving seat when both attempts to get the supporters trust fell before the first hurdle.....go for it, see how you get on, I'll be the first to pat you on the back if you suceed.

To be fair Tel, I think m2 has a point. I didn't myself get really worked up about a Trust when it was first floated (by Glynne Jones) because that was under RM in the prem. We had supporter representation of various kinds. Maybe a lot of people were like me and kidded themselves we didnt need it, and wouldn't. Then there were the later models of supporter representation, which you personally worked very hard on to make a success. The sad thing is that a lot of potential leaders have been drawn into personal acrimony with each other. Some also worked for the Club , which probably compromised their ability to get behind a Trust.

Anyway, I am following up on the idea that maybe one of the former directors might lead one. What do you think about that idea?

Although I don't agree with AFKA about the 'Why' (everyone will have there own take on events like that) there is a good point there and also above with the idea of encouraging an ex Director to head it up.

Another point to be made is that the new Board would have no involvement or say in its inception - by the very nature of an ST
  • Options
    I think for any ST to be successful it needs the blessing of the club or some sort of show of goodwill, otherwise youre on a hiding to nothing, however well intentioned. Good luck M2.
  • Options
    It's way too late now for a Supporters Trust to own a meaningful (10% plus) stake of the Club.

However if this new lot show further signs of riding roughshod over the values and ground that a few of us still hold dear a well organised trust could certainly have "nuisance value" especially if those with good media connections could be persuaded to join.
  • Options
    Post #3 on this thread - 9th Sep 2009

1) What are the perceived objectives of a Trust and why is it that they cannot be achieved by existing means?

2) Although the current Board are supportive of the formation of the Trust, how is it likely to be viewed by any potential new owners? What happens if new owners are less than impressed by the well-intentioned efforts of a bunch of do-gooders?

Probably the only thing that has changed is the reference to 'existing means' in the first point. We had a Fans' Forum then. I believe we still have one, but maybe it's a horse of a different colour these days.

But the two questions remain valid. I attended one of the start-up meetings (the second one, I think) of the putative Supporters Trust last time round, and the elucidation of objectives left a bit to be desired. It felt a bit like "Let's have a Supporters Trust. Now what will it do?" which, to my mind at least, seems a bit back-to-front.

There is debate about why previous attempts failed (including Glynne Jones' original effort). It's simple.

No-one was prepared to put in the effort, commitment and sheer hard work. Plenty of "I'll help as often as I can, but I can't really attend meetings."

Sadly, that's not good enough. Initiatives like a Supporters Trust need do-ers, people who can make things happen, energisers... not to mention sufficient free time.

We don't have seem to have enough of such people. And without a concrete set of objectives which some of us could sign up to and which would provide the unifying link, nothing will happen.