Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

US Open Murray home before his postcards

How good was the result ? Cilic the first seeded player he had to play against and lost. I wonder if Andy will be Supporting Croatia against England tonight he he ...

People might think I m anti Murray because of his numtpy comments about England, that partly right I just cannot stand the whinging scot, screaming, swearing, punching the racket with his fist, throwing his racket etc... also seems odd most of the time when is getting stuffed in set he has some odd muscle problem that requires his physio... personnaly i think its just to break the tempo. It makes me laugh all those papers singing Murray praises. Hopp Fed

Rant over

Comments

• Too many reasons to dislike him to mention really and always a pleasure to see him get beat
  • Mc Henman

Shame really because he does have the talent
  • I don't like him. However I really do not understand everyones problem with his "England comments" He's Scottish and proud of it. Nothing wrong with that (apart form actually being Scottish), why should he support England? Dennis Law famously played golf on his own rather than watch the '66 final, no one goes on about that.
  • I dont like him.
    I also dont like dennis law - he was another one who hated the English.
    He played golf on his own in 1966 as couldnt bear to see England win the world cup !!!
  • Can't say I like many of the english team to be honest! Won't it be just great if Defoe scores the winner (not).
  • Er.... he's Scottish not English, why would I support him?
  • edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]I dont like him.
    I also dont like dennis law - he was another one who hated the English.
    He played golf on his own in 1966 as couldnt bear to see England win the world cup !!!

But the w*nker was more than happy to ply his trade, earn his money and take the adulation of the crowds in England.

edit - I hope he a sh*t round of golf too!
  • I have nothing against Scots who want the English national football team to lose and can't understand why people get their knickers in a twist about it. To be honest I preferred that he said that then suck up to the English.

That people said I can't stand tennis and I'm glad that the latest saviour lost.
  • I think this illustrates the nature of fame and the ridiculous amounts of prestige that we invest in sportspeople merely because they have obtained some proficiency in their sport.

Murray is probably the best tennis player that the UK has ever produced - if not one of the best, granted that's a small pool, but the guy has a bit of dog in him which was lacking in say Tim Henman. Strange that the considered opinion here is that he's disliked mainly because he tends to drift into monosyllabism when being interviewed and possiblty because he's no fan of the England football team. And that's another strange one - ask most people what their opinion is of Ashley Cole (who went to print to express his disgust at being offered a mere £55k a week), or Frank Lampard, John Terry, or Wayne Rooney, Defoe, Glen Johnson (who stole a toilet seat from B&Q) etc and you'd get a consensus that they too weren't particularly nice people who are grounded and demonstrate gratitude for football for taking them out of run-of-the-mill 9-5 jobs and giving them more money than they know what to do with. Yet put them in an England shirt and we start getting patriotic.

Coming into work today I had R5 on and they were playing a couple of clips from Jenson Button and Louis Hamilton making the standard PR excuses about how disappointed they were at crashing out in the last Grand Prix and how they are looking forward to the next race this weekend. All polished, well spoken PR bullshit saying nothing. Both Button and Hamilton unashamedly wave the Union Jack and proclaim their patriotism, yet both have preferred to live outside the UK for tax reasons, why is it that we like them? Is the money that has been chucked at them to get them to speak eloquently, yet boringly mean that they just don't register with us on any kind of irritation scale?
  • Well said BFR. Certainly would take the gloss off any World Cup success seeing some of those turds celebrating with the trophy. Shame really.
  • Sponsored links:

• SE7SE7
    edited September 2009
    Did anyone see Federer's shot against Novac yesterday to take him to match point. Quite simply the greatest shot I have ever seen. I truely think he is back to his best and could end up at this rate with about 25 majors he is in a different class to anyone wen it comes to the majors, no-one is better under pressure, he showed that at Wimbeldon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJuEzJEQ9N4&feature=popular
  • I always want Andy Murray to do well. He's the best professional tennis player Great Britain has ever produced. And, on top of that, he has a soft spot for Charlton. Good luck to him.
  • you see this type of shot nearly every tournament. Its pure luck it was a winner.
  • edited September 2009
    Murray still has a long way to go to catch up to Fred Perry.

The really good news for UK tennis fans is the rise of Heather Watson (2009 US Open Jr. girls singles champion) and Laura Robson (2008 Wimbled Jr. girls singles champion) on the girls side. It has been ages since the UK has produced any top female players.

Anne Keothavong is a decent player -- top 50 before being injured (Annabell Croft territory) - but you'd need to go back to Jo Durie, Virigina Wade, Sue Barker and Ann Hayden Jones to find women with Grand Slam potential. Wade and Jones won Wimbledon and Barker won a French (when a lot of top players didn't bother playing Paris or Australia).

After Murray, the men's side doesn't have anyone at the moment, which kills off any Davis Cup chances.
    As Chizz wrote, he has a soft spot for Charlton since one of his trainers is an Addick. Murray can be grumpy, but he is maturing and should win a Grand Slam sometime soon.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Murray still has a long way to go to catch up to Fred Perry.
    I still think Murray's our best ever pro.

But for Britain never to have had a men's grand slam winner since fourteen years before Charlton won the Cup is dreadful.

I haven't seen Heather Watson play, but Laura Robson looks like she has something about her. Is the 2012 Olympics too early for them?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]I always want Andy Murray to do well. He's the best professional tennis player Great Britain has ever produced. And, on top of that, he has a soft spot for Charlton. Good luck to him.

I dont mind Murray never have really even with those comments, but if thats true chizz i like him even more now! why do you think that then?
    I think he will win a grand slam sooner rather then later and definately think he has potential to be british best but long way to go really, but so far so good
    In regards to this years open, is a shame but always get a few shocks in there and murray jus didnt seem at the races. im sure he will learn from it and will have the determination to prove ppl wrong. In short i think he may win grand slam next year, wimbo or US would be best opportunity!
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]I always want Andy Murray to do well. He's the best professional tennis player Great Britain has ever produced. And, on top of that, he has a soft spot for Charlton. Good luck to him.

I dont mind Murray never have really even with those comments, but if thats true chizz i like him even more now! why do you think that then?
    I think he will win a grand slam sooner rather then later and definately think he has potential to be british best but long way to go really, but so far so good
    In regards to this years open, is a shame but always get a few shocks in there and murray jus didnt seem at the races. im sure he will learn from it and will have the determination to prove ppl wrong. In short i think he may win grand slam next year, wimbo or US would be best opportunity!
    Murray's strength and conditioning coach, Matt Little ("Mr Incredible") is a Charlton fan and often takes Andy to The Valley: he's "trying to convert him".

He's the best pro Britain's ever produced - it's just a shame he's playing in the same era as the best pro the world's ever produced.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Murray still has a long way to go to catch up to Fred Perry.
    I still think Murray's our best ever pro.

Perhaps you forget that Perry was the World No. 1 player for five years, four of them consecutive, 1934 to 1938, the first three years as an amateur. Perry is an eight-time Gland Slam winner, the last British male to win any of tennis' Grand Slam singles events, and one of only six men in the history of tennis to have won all four Grand Slam events.

There is a statue of Perry at the All England Club. And Murray wears Perry's name on his shirt.

As I said, Murray has a long way to go before he can even tug on Fred Perry's coattails.
  • [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Did anyone see Federer's shot against Novac yesterday to take him to match point. Quite simply the greatest shot I have ever seen. I truely think he is back to his best and could end up at this rate with about 25 majors he is in a different class to anyone wen it comes to the majors, no-one is better under pressure, he showed that at Wimbeldon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJuEzJEQ9N4&feature=popular

not so good last night , lost in the final to Del Potro