Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keith Floyd, RIP

edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
Just heard that Keith Floyd has died, following a heart attack this morning. RIP, Keith.

Comments

• Options
    The first TV chef who actually engaged me. Always liked the fact that he loved "peasant" food ie simple dishes that ordinary people ate and wasn't hung up about precise amounts or which wine went with which dish.

RIP
  • Options
    Is that the chef who was always 'alf 'ished?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Is that the chef who was always 'alf 'ished?
    No. Keith Floyd didn't do anything by halves.
  • Options
    Strange atfer the programme on him last night.
  • Options
    He prolly keeled over after they showed him saying the C-word twice. . .

RIP
  • Options
    strange man, complex at the very least. Shame that he looked like he was living a life of misery at the end, his humour and acid barbs did little to cover his sorrow if you ask me. Entertaining bloke though, and one who the "Cooks" of today owe a lot to
  • Options
    Certainly lived a full life even though he was only in his 60's.

Married and divorced 4 times, bankrupt and survived a car crash, a stroke and bowel cancer, whilst still doing all the TV stuff.

Was never really a fan, but certainly RIP Mr. Floyd.
  • Options
    Used to love his programmes, always entertaining. Hope they start re showing them again. Obviously a tortured soul, but then very talented people often are. A million times more interesting and inventive than all the ego driven twats around today.
    RIP.
  • Options
    That is sad. Great programme last night that showed him in his full eccentric and suprisingly intelligent and erudite glory.
  • Options
    What was the show last night? I'll try and catch it on iplayer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keith Meets Keith Channel 4 10pm. Hopefully it'll be repeated on More 4 soon.
  • Options
    Great entertainer, a man from a different age.

I remember him doing a show from India and some of his comments about the locals were priceless - he probably could not get away with it now though.

RIP Keith.
  • Options
    They show flloyd on saturday kitchen. It's quite amusing to see his rumbunctious colonial collegiality with local cooks compared to Rick Stein's same old sycophancy every time he meets a cook.
  • Options
    Great show last night. Highlights for me were:

Keith Allen: So, what do you think of all these famous chefs complimenting you etc (there were clips from Gary Rhodes etc etc)
    Keith Floyd: They're all a bunch of c**ts!

Keith Allen: So, do you use this to cook on Keith (pointing to a BBQ outside)
    Keith Floyd: No, it's just for show..............................................................prick.

RIP
  • Options
    Link for last nights show:

http://bit.ly/AXlAF
  • Options
    A born entertainer: didn't talk down to his audience and though sometimes looking like he made it up as he went along everything always worked out as he had planned.I'll raise a glass to him tonight! RIP, Keith.
  • Options
    They used to have a huge poster of his face on the road near Phuket Airport. Probably his last commercial venture was a rrestaurant at the Burasari Hotel in Patong. Never went there. He was a regular visitor to Phuket in his later years and his death even made the Phuket Gazette today. Good entertainer in his own way! RIP
  • Options
    Considering he had a massive heart attack last year but spent the whole of last night's programme drinking and smoking, the writing was on the wall. Strange that it happened the day after it was shown though.......

RIP
  • Options
    I once went to his pub in Devon - overlooking a tributary of the River Dart which he's just taken over and hilariously renamed "Floyd's Inn (sometimes)". It had only just opened apart from a couple of hooray Henry types at the bar, it was empty. So we got our beer and sat at a table with a window overlooking the river. The bar manager came over and asked if were eating - having seen the prices no way. So he asked us to move as we were sitting in a dining area - no problem with that, except that there were zero diners in the pub and no sign of any, so we said could we move when they arrive? No...we had to move there and then. Ok, your pub, so we moved, finished our beer and left for the pub up the road and didn't return. The pub went bust six months later.

Anyway RIP KF...perhaps the only chef who I ever watched on TV.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Used to love his programmes, always entertaining. Hope they start re showing them again. Obviously a tortured soul, but then very talented people often are. A million times more interesting and inventive than all the ego driven twats around today.
    RIP.

Spot on Mist. Floyd was the man who took fancy dan restaurating and cooking out to meet real people. His shows were unscripted and raw (a bit like himself) and so unlike the plastic celebrity chefs we have today. Marco Pierre White said: "A little piece of Britain died yesterday which will never be replaced. He was an individual, he was a maverick, he was mercurial, he was magical, he was special, he was rare."

I wishe I could have seen the show last night. RIP Keith, I will raise a glass when I am cooking at home later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Strange atfer the programme on him last night.

That got me aswell, went to kip after that programme, and woke up late in the morning, switched on telly to get the time and it flashed up he was dead, well weird! (for me anyway)
  • Options
    The progeamme last night was funny and sad in equal measures. Keith was a genuine bloke - when said why he drunk so much was genuinely touching and sad. We all saw a bon viveur who we'd enjoy being with. He said once he'd stopped performing he was nobody. Very sad given the pleasure he'd given to others. A rascal and a tormented soul.
  • Options
    He paved the way for many of the TV chefs we see today but personally I loved his enthusiasm and his passion for food. He was a troubled man but I will always remember him for the way he threw food into a pot, chucked it about a bit and served it up with lashings of white wine and terrific humour. He demystified food and cooking, in fact he was the first Chef I really looked up to.

I will be drinking a glass of wine in his honour.

R.I.P
  • Options
    Loved his enthusiasm. First cookery book I ever had. Floyd on fish.
  • Options
    Back in the day, as a student in Bristol, I occassionally used to eat in his first restaurant "Floyd's Bistro" in Clifton Village. Nobody had ever even heard of him then but his cooking was superb. His kitchen used to be open to the restaurant so all the customers could see him in action. Great fella. RIP Keith.
  • Options
    Big fan of The Stranglers, top man.

R.I.P.
  • Options
    Red Pete I miss restaurants like that. People can take the piss out of Bistro's but if you've ever been to a proper intimate family one in France, it knocks the socks off the bollox that most michelin starred restaurants present and celeb crap like the Ivy. Big food, big flavour and great glugs of wine!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Red Pete I miss restaurants like that. People can take the piss out of Bistro's but if you've ever been to a proper intimate family one in France, it knocks the socks off the bollox that most michelin starred restaurants present and celeb crap like the Ivy. Big food, big flavour and great glugs of wine!

I think we would all prefer that type of restaurant surely.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Link for last nights show:

[url][/url]http://bit.ly/AXlAF

According to his partner he had been looking forward to watching this on TV, although the TV company had sent him a DVD. He had settled down to watch it when he had his hearty attack in his sleep.

Times article attached

Floyd never felt so well
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]wasn't hung up about...which wine went with which dish.
    You can say that again!!!!

A true legend and the godfather of the whole modern TV chef phenomenon. Today's TV chefs owe virtually everything to Keith Floyd, Worrell-Thompson admitted as much yesterday on the radio.

Four-times married, he once said the only mistress he ever had was his restaurant!

RIP Keith, you'll be sorely missed