Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thailand meet?

2»

Comments

• Options
    What's Qatar Airways like?
  • Options
    The only direct flights to Thailand from the UK are into Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi).

Low-cost carriers for internal flights are Air Asia (useful because they also use Suvarnabhumi), Nok Air and One 2 Go out of Bangkok Don Muang Airport. They all fly to Phuket for the southern islands and Chiang Mai if you want to go ooop north.

If you get to Phuket please let meknow and drop by if you get a chance.
  • Options
    Cheers mate amazing aint it i got back from The bridge on the river kwai on sunday .
  • Options
    One other thing , this is spooky, i have a mate on holiday in Pattaya at the moment his name is Bob, and where does he live ???? In the new flats in sydenham built where St Christophers hospital used to be.....I know thats not the same place as the hospice but a bit spooky don't you think...cheers Stu.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Colin in Thailand.[/cite]Cheers mate amazing aint it i got back from The bridge on the river kwai on sunday .

Did you travel beyond the bridge, or just visit Kanchanaburi? I was there a couple of years ago and stayed on a floating hotel on the River Kwai and travelled up the death railway by train - obviously the part that's still running, and visited the Hellfire Pass memorial centre and then walked along that part of the track that was restored. I'm not one for believing in ghosts and stuff, but the hair rose on the back of my neck walking along the few KM that have been restored - supposedly 69 Australian POWs were beaten to death just on that short stretch and who knows how many native workers. Despite the abundant greenery it was spookily silent.
  • Options
    BFR---I did not have time to do all that because i was slipping off to Hua-Hin so it was a bit of a rush, but i am planing my next visit already and will stay for at least 2 days. Yes it was very silent , i did visit the war cemetery which was beautifully cared for, that certainly brought a lump to the throat when reading some of the ages of those guys, 19-23 what a waste of life.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Colin in Thailand.[/cite]One other thing , this is spooky, i have a mate on holiday in Pattaya at the moment his name is Bob, and where does he live ???? In the new flats in sydenham built where St Christophers hospital used to be.....I know thats not the same place as the hospice but a bit spooky don't you think...cheers Stu.

Is he a tax inspector?....There's a guy called Bob (who sometimes drinks with Colin in Forest Hill) who is out there quite often............he's a tax inspector of all things!!
  • Options
    No he's a London cab driver same as me..... tax what's that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What's Qatar Airways like?

excellent airline, one of the best
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]What's Qatar Airways like?

excellent airline, one of the best
    Are you being serious?! To be fair the best I've flown on is Croatian Airlines, who are part of the star alliance so I shouldn't be that surprised.

Bit of a touch as they are also the cheapest!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I flew with them to Doha (admittedly business class) from London - definitely recommended, service, food, punctuality.

Heard from others who have flown economy with them, and also rate the airline.
  • Options
    As far as I can remember Qatar are, despite coming from an Islamic nation, not a "dry" airline.

Warning: don't fly Royal Brunei Airways, especially on long haul, they are dry.
  • Options
    Kay said Qatar are pretty good too....she has flown with most of the well known (and not so well known) airlines
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Qatar are a bit hit and miss but improving from what I hear. They bought a load of cheap Iberian Airlines planes when they first expanded. They are now adding to their fleet with new planes which are quite nice. I've not been tempted yet but various members of my family have used them. I do know with Qatar that if you join their loyalty card you can immediately get 30kg of baggage.
  • Options
    What a country!
  • Options
    If you are heading for Phuket, you could do much worse than contact The Phuket Vagabonds via their website.
    Pat Cotter will show you the very best of the main centre of Patong.