Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was -Boxing Day 1996 Southend 0 Charlton 2

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Southend United (0) 0 Charlton Athletic (1) 2 [Kinsella 43, Robinson 65] Att 7,416.

Southend: Royce, Dublin, Stimson (Thompson 62), McNally, Roget, Selley (Neilsen 46), Grindelet, Harris, Rammell, Williams (Hails 79), Tilson.

Charlton: Salmon, Brown, Barness, O'Connell (K Jones 83), Scott, Chapple, Newton, Leaburn, Robinson, (Robson 76), Whyte (Lisbie 70), Kinsella.

Referee Steve Baines (Chesterfield)

Were you there?

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the site H+A.

Remember it well. Southend had possibly the worst ever footballer playing, a blond haired bloke with a funny run. Made Faye look like Glenn Hoddle, i think his first five passes went into the stand. For the rest of the game he got the 'ee-aaw' chants, and crumbled even further.
  • Options
    used to go regularly then but not sure if i was at that game.
    have been racking my brain. who is scott? by the looks of it he was a centre-half, was he a loanee? he couldn't have played that many games.
  • Options
    Kevin Scott, was on loan from the yids
  • Options
    Christ, don't even remember him !

getting old # 327
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Kevin Scott, was on loan from the yids

fair play rothko. i usually remember the more non-existant players (hence the username), but this stumped me.
  • Options
    Stumped me as well, so looked on Soccerbase!
  • Options
    Yes, I was there. As I remember it was a freezing cold day. Those were the days when we actually had winters worthy of the name.
  • Options
    Might have been there.

Better than the 4-2 shambles
  • Options
    i didn't go but escapes the in-laws for the next home match - 0-0 with Wolves memorable for what?
  • Options
    wasn't he on loan from newcarssil or did he used to play for them as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Were you there?

Yep, Southend were awful and we should have won by more, besides the cold, I remember Kinsella scoring in front of us and a blatant hand ball not given.
  • Options
    13 years now and counting.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    Remember it well. Southend had possibly the worst ever footballer playing, a blond haired bloke with a funny run. Made Faye look like Glenn Hoddle, i think his first five passes went into the stand. For the rest of the game he got the 'ee-aaw' chants, and crumbled even further.

anyone else ermember this donkey performance ?
  • Options
    The question is, who is Home & Away?

An enigma within Charlton Life!

... and one of my favourite posters, wonderful memories most of the time :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Didn't get to that one, made the next years one. Now that was an absolutely appalling match. 0-0.

Boh it must have been that match! I don't remember any goals at all in it. I just remember a truly woeful match.
  • Options
    I preferred boxing day 2003, CAFC 4 Chelsea 2.
  • Options
    Did not realise Lisbie has been around for so long.

I preferred Boxing Day 1999, Charlton 2-1 Palace. My first match as a season ticket holder, 10 years on still virtually in the same place!
  • Options
    I was at the game.....it was cold and grey. I honestly dont remember the blonde bloke having a mare though.....just remember walking away afterwards thinking it should have been more comfortable.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    He's Back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there - behind the goal in a covered stand which was not the case in the (infamous) Kelvin Morton match. Can't remember much about the game though............
  • Options
    This was probably one of my first ever away games. Can remember how funny I found the jingle bells song and the donkey noises. Before I'm judged, I was only 7 at the time...
  • Options
    I was there, would have been 9 at the time. Were the donkey noises directed at Leaburn?!
  • Options
    I was, great away end where you were head height with the pitch when standing. The donkey chants were also my first recollection AFKA
  • Options
    Not sure I was there.. My boxing day memories of there are losses & sending offs. We probably did win if I wasn't there.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

The donkey chants were also my first recollection AFKA

Well its only taken me six years to find someone who remembers !
  • Options
    I waa there