Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

used car places

edited September 2009 in Not Sports Related
anyone recomend a decent used car place they have dealt with , looking at getting a motor sorted paying around 4-5 grand , something such as a focus or similar

Comments

• go to a car auction I would recommend Black bush Airport off the M3. great deals at below trade prices Dealers only bid so far and back off because they are looking at profits after purchase.
  • edited September 2009
    Fill your boots.

www.autotrader.co.uk
  • I bought a focus 5 yrs old for 5k before. Will have a think about where we bought it from.
  • Bought a few cars from this place www.cargiant.co.uk

its up near the BBC in White City, but they have a huge selection!
  • I always worry that at an auction I'd end up buying some old lawn mower parts like Rodney
  • You can look at the cars pre auction and see their history if desired if you do it properly you can make massive savings.
  • Might try one in Enfield Saturday . Anyone know where I could find out roughly what prices I should be paying for this motor?
  • Vcars

Good website, some good search options, looking for a new car myslef, head gasket went on mine 2 weeks ago (for the 2nd time and given up on it now)
  • Another vote for Car Giant here.

No stupid markup that you see on used car places where you're expected to negotiate, what you see is what you pay, which means all the prices listed are £000's cheaper than other places.

Bought our last one there and looking to trade in for another one from the same place this week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Parkers guide is just that a guide and not generally accurate. Buckshee I've whispered you re this.

BC
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Another vote for Car Giant here.

No stupid markup that you see on used car places where you're expected to negotiate, what you see is what you pay, which means all the prices listed are £000's cheaper than other places.

Bought our last one there and looking to trade in for another one from the same place this week.
    Another vote for Car Giant.

Bought the last one there in '03, just traded it for a new one a month ago. Oh, and they're not all high mileage ex-rep cars - ours is 3 years old with 18,800 on the clock.
  • looks like I've got one as a mate of a mate is a trader and he has just what I'm after so just hoping the loan gets sorted before he sells it
  • So loan permitting it looks like I've got the car sorted but insurance quotes are scaring me , tried doing confused.com and moneysupermarket as well as aviva but the best I'm getting is around 50 quid a month . Any recomendations anyone ?
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]So loan permitting it looks like I've got the car sorted but insurance quotes are scaring me , tried doing confused.com and moneysupermarket as well as aviva but the best I'm getting is around 50 quid a month . Any recomendations anyone ?
    How old are you? Married? Driving history? Points? What car?
  • Always found admiral group best (diamond/elephant) size of engine and points will add to it plus if you've been named driver on other cars for years you can say. I guess you haven't driven for too long so you may just have to take hit for first year till ur no claims builds up.
  • you see as suzi points out in the grand scheme of things I ain't been driving too long (just under 5 years) but I drive a work van every day and have done for over four years . Unfortunatly this doesn't get taken into consideration.

The car is a 1.6 focus from 2005 with 42,000 on the clock . It may be said that I should look at something a bit smaller to start with but like a kid at christmas I really want this car now so may just have to suffer the expense for the first year
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]you see as suzi points out in the grand scheme of things I ain't been driving too long (just under 5 years) but I drive a work van every day and have done for over four years . Unfortunatly this doesn't get taken into consideration.

The car is a 1.6 focus from 2005 with 42,000 on the clock . It may be said that I should look at something a bit smaller to start with but like a kid at christmas I really want this car now so may just have to suffer the expense for the first year

You could try getting a letter from you company saying that you've been driving vans under their insurance without accident. I've just opted into a company car scheme at work and when I asked about accumulating no claims discount whilst in the scheme I was told most insurers would accept a letter from my employer (assuming I have no accidents whilst in the scheme).

You may well find insurers aren't interested (they'll do all they can to get money off you and all they can to avoid giving it to you in my experience) but it's worth an ask. Only snag is you'll need to ring and speak to someone rather than doing it all online, you just can't negotiate with a website.

Try Lloyds, I find them competive and am a younger(ish) driver. Think I went with Swinton when I got my first policy when I was 18.
  • Has to be car giant..... But you will have to pay around the £5000 plus upwards mark. Great for BMW's and MPV's etc, not so good at sports/performance or hot hatch etc.
    They have a good selection and the prices are very keen, and do not know of any old bangers or horror stories, from people, but no dealer is perfect in my experience.
    (I used to work on car magazines, Car mechanics, Street machine, Hot car years ago, I am an old boy racer!)
    They have a good selection and the prices are very keen, and do not know of any old bangers or horror stories, from people, but no dealer is perfect in my experience.

Really could not reccomend any local dealer around here.......too expensive and some dodgy characters working on the internet.
    Bought 5 motors in the last year for family and friends NONE around here.....

You used to get a decent standard from a main dealers but Ford are at it again,( used to run several ford cars , but the build quality was poor and there attitude was even poorer, so walked with my custom) just had a very small issue with my ST fiesta, any the the customer services were useless. So buying new even from an established dealer is not copper bottomed . Ford no longer give performance figures ( except fuel) for there cars, but sell motors like RS focus. My ST fiesta is slower than my old BMW 1.8 or it was until I got it sorted at my expense....the dealer wanted me to indemnify him , and Ford did not want to know.
    So will be selling it, and buying a BMW 3 years old for about £8,000 from Car giant and getting an independent warranty.
  • just been on the site at car giant....

. BMW 318 2.0 Ci ES Coupe Manual Petrol Black Sapphire 52,206 £7,999
    2007 (07) Volkswagen Golf 1.4 S 5 Dr Manual Petrol Silver 42,343 £7,99
    2006 (06) Jaguar X Type 2.0 D SE Saloon Manual Diesel Silver Blue 84,445 £7,299
    2007 (56) Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia T Estate Manual Petrol Met Blue 78,578 £5,799
    2005 (05) Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia 5 Dr Manual Diesel Aquarius Blue 91,236 £4,599
    2006 (06) Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Ghia 130 5 Dr Auto Diesel Met Black 51,000 £6,799
  • Sponsored links:

• For insurance, have a look at Direct Line. Privelege are pretty cheap too.

When I was 18 I got myself an XR3i. Insurance won't be bad I told myself.....

Quotes ranged from £1500 - £8000 (this is no exageration) for TPFT

In the end I got insured with a semi-reputable company based out of Gravesend high street for about £1300 TPFT and remained TPFT for the duration of the time I owned that car (5 years, I loved that car) when I got something a tad more sensible I ended up being given a load of money back on my policy and got it upgraded to fully comp! All I kept getting told each year was 'It'll get cheaper when you're 21, then when you're 25, now it's when I'm 30'!!) even though I've got full no claims and been driving over 10 years!

£50 a month is not too shabby for fully comp on that vehicle mate especially if you have no previous no claims or anything
  • Had the same issue with one of my sons 2 years ago, bought an MGF, or tried to get one clean licence been driving 2 years on my second insurance could not find an Insurance company that would entertain it.!

ended up with the 1600, nice car, performance not up to much, sold it and made a profit!

Used to love the old XR3i, even had an RS 16i and thought it was the best car I had owned up till then. Then Ford did away with the RS marquee and cars like the RS 2000 and threw away there ford sport market once the Cosworth era ended. Went over to BMW more expensive but better engineered all round, especially to the private motorist.

I now have 'old gits' insurance with saga less than £200 on a fiesta st 2009, but a sheep in Wolfes clothing ( see above)
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Always found admiral group best (diamond/elephant) size of engine and points will add to it plus if you've been named driver on other cars for years you can say. I guess you haven't driven for too long so you may just have to take hit for first year till ur no claims builds up.

Admiral tend to be ok, but check what you're policy includes if you go with diamond or elephant. Obviously diamond is an evil feminist plot, but from what I've heard in the industry the cover diamond offer isn't particularly good and they are even more adverse to paying out than most insurance companies, so the girlies are welcome to them.

At the end of the day going for the cheapest quote isn't always best, you often get what you pay for. Saying that, I'm with Bullseye (love a bit of bully) and they were cheap with pretty good cover, though I haven't had to claim, so no idea how good they are when it comes to sorting out claims.

http://www.bullseyeinsurance.co.uk/