Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Discussion 21 September 1985

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Can it really be 29 years ago that we left The Valley. After the presentation of the old players that graced the Valley, the game was held up due to many pitch invasions. The game eventually got under way but this was not the main event of the day. The disbelief and anger that the fans felt, spilled over at half time with another pitch invasion and had it not been for Lennie Lawrence addressing the fans, the game would not have continued. In the end Charlton won 2-0, but to the fans that assembled on the east terrace, the result was not important. At the end of the match the fans came on to the pitch in many numbers. Seeing a video of this I wonder how many fans still go to the Valley today. I can name quite a few. Anybody who has any doubt as to why Charlton are still playing football at The Valley today, only has to look at this video to understand the fans that got Charlton back.

Comments

• Options
    24 years mate - good post though Lewis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Can it really be 29 years ago that we left The Valley. After the presentation of the old players that graced the Valley, the game was held up due to many pitch invasions. The game eventually got under way but this was not the main event of the day. The disbelief and anger that the fans felt, spilled over at half time with another pitch invasion and had it not been for Lennie Lawrence addressing the fans, the game would not have continued. In the end Charlton won 2-0, but to the fans that assembled on the east terrace, the result was not important. At the end of the match the fans came on to the pitch in many numbers. Seeing a video of this I wonder how many fans still go to the Valley today. I can name quite a few. Anybody who has any doubt as to why Charlton are still playing football at The Valley today, only has to look at this video to understand the fans that got Charlton back.

I was there on The East Terrace before the game and the pitch at half time.