Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steven Pressley

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
at The Valley tonight & in talks

Pardew's first signing?

Comments

• Having medical according to Sky. Getting on a bit, not the quickest, but committed, experienced and definitely captain material. Also not expensive: free agent and won't be on huge wages.
  • Isn't he 33? As long as he is not on huge wages or too long a contract then it's a start.
  • Leadership, pure and simple, and bit of pace next to him would be quality
  • Perhaps Fortune could play alongside him a poorer mans Costa.
  • Yes, 33, so getting on a bit in my book!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Yes, 33, so getting on a bit in my book![/quote]

hes for the now not the future..
  • Completely agree, jayblock
  • Not slagging the decision to sign him as long as the financials are all right but he is 33 has never played anywhere other than Scotland? and that is a CCC league. What the hell can't be any worse.
  • We need a bit of leadership at the back, HH gives some, but Pressley gives a lot more
  • edited December 2006
    He was at Coventry City, who used to a prem side, has great leadership but might not have the pace, still we need to freshen things up and he has some experience,and he's free. has to be worth a try at least,is he hungry,1 last chance,prove old club wrong.can pards get the best?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pards said in the press conference, that he wants him as he gives leadership and character, and that's what he thinks the team needs at the moment
  • guy next me reckons he saw him there, b great signing for this season, and cheap
  • [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]Not slagging the decision to sign him as long as the financials are all right but he is 33 has never played anywhere other than Scotland? and that is a CCC league. What the hell can't be any worse.

I think we have to be realistic with the type of signing we can make considering the position we are in an the money we have to spend.

I've not seen anything of the bloke but if he can organise the defence so that we stop gifting goals from set pieces then it could be a good short term solution.
  • He was at the game they said so on Sky.
  • I'd sign him, if only on a short-term contract, as others have said he's not the best, or the quickest and maybe getting on a bit, but he's cheap, and will give our defence some backbone. That's what we need right now.
  • According to The Sun he was there last night...
  • Pure and simple, although he is scottish, he's a quality centre back who has played international level and helped hearts get into europe and kind of challenge Celtic and RANGERS for honours. I really wish CAFC fans would stop moaning about wages, age, contracts, etc etc.....for god sake both above clubs and others are in for him, so he must have something. I've seen him play and he's better than what we have. So be bloody grateful we are able to sign some fresh faces after Mr I Dowie chucked our cash away on average foriegn no ones......
  • i've never heard of the bloke, but like what's being said so far. The age thing means nothing, people were saying that about Sheringham over seven years ago !!!
  • He was there last night, they showed him in the stand with his agent not once but twice and Richard Keys also confirmed that he had been in talks with us. It must be close, noone would hang around and watch a gmae if they were not serious about signing.
  • got to be a good signing. he is someone who will open his mouth when he thinks things aren't right. we need this kind of player that will shout and kick some arses.
  • Sponsored links:

• From the bbc

"I have an offer from Switzerland to play in their top league," said Pressley. "It is a very exciting proposition and one I might take up.

"But I have a couple of options down south, so nothing is definite."

Would we be interested for his leadership now til the end of the season? Available on a free, but 35 years old.
  • So older and slower than he was 2 years ago

Hmm - as long as its to replace Hudson and not to go beside him. It'd be like having two airgraft carriers at the back with that sort of mobility
  • Just looked him up, been playing in Denmark recently for a few months.

According to wiki, he had trials at Doncaster and Blackpool, neither wanted him. Although he did say he wanted to play abroad, so maybe he did get a few offers from English clubs.

Sounds like he's not good enough any more.
  • Jorge Costa wasn't that bad hen he played for us and he had Fish with him, or was it Fortune?
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Jorge Costa wasn't that bad hen he played for us and he had Fish with him, or was it Fortune?

It was mostly Fortune although Fish was around then - (Young-Fish-Costa-Fortune).

Costa though was one of the best defenders in Europe and subsequent to leaving Charlton went on to win the UEFA Cup and then the CL a year later. I think Pressley has had his day and we don't need another defender with the manoevrability of an oil tanker.
  • edited January 2009
    Young Fish Costa Fortune Powell was our defence at one point. Can't remember any other games. Rufus was injured most of that season wasn't he?

And yeah, Costa was also Porto captain while winning European trophies with them, very different to Pressley.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]i've never heard of the bloke, but like what's being said so far. The age thing means nothing, people were saying that about Sheringham over seven years ago !!!

Curbishley tried to sign him for Charlton when he had a falling out at Hearts. He ended up signing with Celtic.

Very strong leader, and was/is a very good player. Don't know how much he has left in the tank, but given the situation, someone that you'd want on your side in the trenches.
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Jorge Costa wasn't that bad hen he played for us and he had Fish with him, or was it Fortune?

Joge Costa wasn't bad...Jeez mate that's something of an understatement if I may say so..... he was fing awesome!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]Isn't he 33? As long as he is not on huge wages or too long a contract then it's a start.

He was 35 in October!
  • This is a thread started a while back so only the latest few comments are up to date!

Just saw it on BBC and as we were linked with him couple of years ago in the prem, I wondered what the reaction towards him would be now.