Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky Poll

2»

Comments

• Options
    C for me only cos there wasn't a get rid now option.

He is obsessed with 4-5-1 with Semedo's injury giving him a chance to change it, he didn't. He sticks with it even late in games when in front.

Not rocket science to get results against the quality we have played so far.

He still hasn't sorted out the defence. Brings in full backs who don't stop crosses getting over:- Halford, Crainey, Butterworth, Murty, Richardson, McEverley (have I missed any?)

He falls out with some players yet sticks with others when not performing.

He can't hack it at a higher level and I've yet to see evidence he can get a side to attack the opposition.
  • Options
    Lol. 23 points out of 27 and we get that spouted!
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Ive gone for B. But.....when I see a plan B I will be totally convinced.....at the moment we dont seem to have one.
  • Options
    A for me, of course, with a little bit of smug told you so thrown in ;-)

I sort of understand the Plan B concerns, except:
    - When he tried to go 442 v Wycombe for last 20 mins, it hugely increased the pressure, nearly lost us the game, and gave rise to loads of moaning on here about PP's poor substitutions. He hasn't done it since - it's called learning from your mistakes.
    - Surely there was a Plan B used in bringing on McLeod on Sat when it was only 1-0?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Hope you are right, Henry.

I don't claim any evidence that we are not prepared. In fact I claimed the opposite - that there is no clear evidence that we are prepared. Plan B to me is more than just replacing like-for-like personnel. It's about dealing with different opponents and different situations differently.

Yes, I did hear that Parkinson claimed at the recent Q&A that he constantly considers other options. Might be nice to see them rather than hear about them, of course.

But surely you only want to see them if its going wrong? You dont want him to change everything just to show you he can, where is the point in that.

I'm not asking to 'change everything'. Obviously I'm happy with 23 points from 9 games, but let's not pretend that everything has gone our way for the entirety of all those matches. Second half at Norwich, hanging on against Wycombe, other periods in various games - those are the times to show that you can react when things are not going your way.

The one game that I've missed this season was the Tranmere trip, but I'd be intrigued to know what Parkinson did when we were three and four goals up with a big chunk of the game to go. The record shows that Spring came on for Semedo after 75 mins and Tuna on for Shelvey (82 mins). Maybe a wasted opportunity in a no-risk situation.

The trick is to anticipate when the problems will arise .... and to deal with them before they happen. Fix it before it breaks.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know it's strange, but I rarely recall Man U, Real Madrid or even Brazil dominating play for the full 90 minutes. Sometimes they sneak it with last minute winners. Sometimes they even draw or lose. You can never predict everything the opposition is going to do.

And how exactly do you fix a football team before it breaks, if you don't know which bit is going to break?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]You know it's strange, but I rarely recall Man U, Real Madrid or even Brazil dominating play for the full 90 minutes. Sometimes they sneak it with last minute winners. Sometimes they even draw or lose. You can never predict everything the opposition is going to do.

And how exactly do you fix a football team before it breaks, if you don't know which bit is going to break?

I agree that you can never predict everything. But you can predict a great deal. Like teams coming to The Valley with eleven players behind the ball, content to get a 0-0 or sneak a breakaway goal.

Don't know which bit is going to break? Look for your injury-prone key players. Identify those whose strengths can be easily nullified by decent opponents. Anticipate where the suspensions will come. And then put plans in place - not just in theory - to deal with those situations when they happen.

Anyway, I know when I'm beaten. I'd better throw away my FA Coaching badge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]You know it's strange, but I rarely recall Man U, Real Madrid or even Brazil dominating play for the full 90 minutes. Sometimes they sneak it with last minute winners. Sometimes they even draw or lose. You can never predict everything the opposition is going to do.

I agree that you can never predict everything. But you can predict a great deal. Like teams coming to The Valley with eleven players behind the ball, content to get a 0-0 or sneak a breakaway goal.

Don't know which bit is going to break? Look for your injury-prone key players. Identify those whose strengths can be easily nullified by decent opponents. Anticipate where the suspensions will come. And then put plans in place - not just in theory - to deal with those situations when they happen.

Anyway, I know when I'm beaten. I'd better throw away my FA Coaching badge.

Bloody hell Dave you should have said!!

Option D Get Dave Rudd in, would have 9 wins out of 9
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]
    Bloody hell Dave you should have said!!

Option D Get Dave Rudd in, would have 9 wins out of 9

.... and we'd still be in the Carling Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A & C!

I was happy for him to stay on but I still have a few doubts, it would be interesting to see how he does if we suffer an injury crisis. I don't think we played that well against Exeter and was disappointed with the tactics at Norwich.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]

quote# 32

He is obsessed with 4-5-1 with Semedo's injury giving him a chance to change it, he didn't. He sticks with it even late in games when in front.

He still hasn't sorted out the defence. Brings in full backs who don't stop crosses getting over:- Halford, Crainey, Butterworth, Murty, Richardson, McEverley (have I missed any?)

He can't hack it at a higher level and I've yet to see evidence he can get a side to attack the opposition.

Chris? Chris Dickson? Is that you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]

quote# 32

Chris? Chris Dickson? Is that you?

Good call, Stefco - I think you've outed him! ;-)
  • Options
    I bet he only ever plays plan A on the training pitch, he's useless, we should get rid and bring back dowie, Les Reed or pardew they knew all about a plan B.
  • Options
    B for me.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]A for me, of course, with a little bit of smug told you so thrown in ;-)

I sort of understand the Plan B concerns, except:
    - When he tried to go 442 v Wycombe for last 20 mins, it hugely increased the pressure, nearly lost us the game, and gave rise to loads of moaning on here about PP's poor substitutions. He hasn't done it since - it's called learning from your mistakes.
    - Surely there was a Plan B used in bringing on McLeod on Sat when it was only 1-0?

The problem at Wycombe was that he used the wrong sub, Shelvey was asked to play wide right and was either too nackered or too inexperienced to cope.

McLeod for Burton was effectively like for like.
  • Options
    No it is not - they are completely different players.
  • Options
    A for me......................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]No it is not - they are completely different players.

Burton and McLeod are different players, and yet McLeod was asked to play the Burton role in an unchanged formation. That's the point really.

Still, no matter. McLeod scored and we won. Good job the Exeter keeper spilled that cross, though. Nicely foreseen by Parkinson.
  • Options
    When McLeod was brought on I thought it was pretty clear we started to play more balls down the channels and over the top rather than "at" McLeod like what happens with Burton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]When McLeod was brought on I thought it was pretty clear we started to play more balls down the channels and over the top rather than "at" McLeod like what happens with Burton.

Did we? Must have missed that. And all those McLeod vs keeper one-on-ones which resulted from the balls over the top.
  • Options
    You're not going to win every game with flowing football, sometime you need to win dirty, like we did on Saturday.
  • Options
    A, I wasn't completely sure he'd do a good job, but I had a feeling he could do it and he's proven it so far.

"He can't hack it in the Championship" - He's still a young manager, improving and learning all the time, remember he's only ever had 1 Championship pre-season. Perhaps he needed more time at Hull, or it just wasn't the right club for him. Here he had more to do than we realised, squad was a mess, there was no confidence or team spirit, we needed the season to end so we could sort out the squad.

We're playing good football (ok not great all the time, but not many teams can do that), but we can also battle and win in a tight game (something Pardew's teams could never do). We're getting the best out of players, using youngsters where we can, we have a squad that want to play for the club and they all work hard. We have more characters and leaders in the team.

Although we're not far into the season, it's just the kind of team everyone wants, and the closest we've come to the sort of teams Curbs used to have. Not the same league, not the same level of players (compared to say in 03/04), but an enjoyable team to watch, players that show they care, several the fans can feel closer to than many players we've had in the last 3 years.

"He's obsessed with 4-5-1" - Firstly most partnerships have one striker dropping deeper than the other, and we're consistently playing our best 11. Something we've missed for years. I'm no fan of Spring, but he did Semedo's job fairly well, not the kind of things Racon and Shelvey would naturally want to do - they might be better players, but it wouldn't necessarily be the best partnership. We lack real pace up front in Burton and Shelvey, but they're among the better players in the division and make up for it in work rate, intelligence and ability.