Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Secret Millionaire and Liverpool

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
Anyone else watch this last night.

Didn't realise how bad it was in Liverpool, thought it was just an over-the-top stereotype! Kids setting off fires every night, production crew had their car smashed up and then were pelted with stones and bricks...

Comments

• Options
    Cultural Capital of Europe
  • Options
    Lived up there for four years. Also lived on the Heygate in Elephant and Castle and an estate in Bermondsey. Parts of Liverpool made the last two seem like beverly hills.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I go all over the country for my job and the area around Anfield is without doubt the roughest looking part of the country I've ever been to - people up there had newspaper for curtains!

Funny though that when people opened their doors you could get glimpses of hallways be-decked in Liverpool memorabelia. Now, I love my club, but if I had to choose between a framed picture of Alan Curbishley and curtains I think I'd take the drapes!

(Can't speak for oohaah, mind)
  • Options
    Like all UK cities Liverpool has its rough parts but don't be fooled by the stereotyping. I have lived here (Liverpool) now for over 15 years and have a much better quality of life than I ever had when I lived in South East London. Miss being able to watch Charlton regularly though!
  • Options
    Where do you live Chaz?...I lived in Childwall (nice part of town).
  • Options
    My best mate lives in waterloo, near crosby and its v nice up around there.
  • Options
    [quote][cite] Funny though that when people opened their doors you could get glimpses of hallways be-decked in Liverpool memorabelia. Now, I love my club, but if I had to choose between a framed picture of Alan Curbishley and curtains I think I'd take the drapes! [/quote]

I went to see a mate in Cheshire and his loo was painted top to bottom in red, including the radiator. The bloke he bought the house from was, believe it or not, a Charlton fan. My mates wife told me they were pleased that I'd seen it so they could now redecorate it!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Like all UK cities Liverpool has its rough parts but don't be fooled by the stereotyping. I have lived here (Liverpool) now for over 15 years and have a much better quality of life than I ever had when I lived in South East London. Miss being able to watch Charlton regularly though!

But I thought that it was just a load of stereotyping, but after seeing the programme last night it looks as if, in certain parts of Liverpool, it's even worse than the stereotypes!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Where do you live Chaz?...I lived in Childwall (nice part of town).

I live in Aigburth near the Cricket Ground, Rodney. 10 mins from the airport and 15 minutes to town. South Liverpool is very civilised but I am not denying there are major problems in some parts of the City. But Liverpool did the UK proud during Capital of Culture year (WSS I assume did not visit). Only by highlighting the problem areas will they be tackled so I don't mind the publicity from the likes of Secret Millionaire but it should be balanced by the positive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Like all UK cities Liverpool has its rough parts but don't be fooled by the stereotyping. I have lived here (Liverpool) now for over 15 years and have a much better quality of life than I ever had when I lived in South East London. Miss being able to watch Charlton regularly though!

But I thought that itwasjust a load of stereotyping, but after seeing the programme last night it looks as if, in certain parts of Liverpool, it's even worse than the stereotypes!

You are probably right Chunes but it isn't only here. You will find this type of thing in most major cities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you have an OK job, let's face it the North West and East is a breeze compared to the South East. Not only that but council's receive a higher ammount per head, meaning amenities and transport is just incomparable to anything in the SE barring London; plus Labour councils have a great habit of running budget losses. So the cities can be great for anyone with a car and a decent house in a decent neighbourhood.

Having said that I lived in Bradford for four years, and popped over often to see mates in Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool. The level of deprivation in Bradford, Chapple Town, Tranmere and Moss Side is quite unbelievable. Locals you might meet at work nearly all have someone from their Dad's generation who caught TB; something I don't know anyone from my Grandad's and Great Grandad's getting in the East End; may have been prevalent for some but almost gone by the 30's. I know some families are marooned in estates in London but when I'd try and explain to little Londoners that the quality of housing was appalling in the NE/NW, and many areas were like Ghettoes they wouldn't have it. When I first moved up there I couldn't believe that many of the houses didn't have central heating, but the more I viewed the bigger horrors I saw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    You are probably right Chunes but it isn't only here. You will find this type of thing in most major cities.

I have to admit, as a London Exile I do find the snobbery that certain Londoners exude about the rest of the country rather ammusing. Bit's of South London are very unpleasant indeed, for example.

The nearest big city to me is Birmingham and many on here would doubtless tell you it's a sh1t hole. True, it has it's less than pleasant parts, particularly those areas that used to form the backbone of the now departed heavy industry, but bit's of Birmingham are very nice, with pleanty of culture and history on show. Likewise, Liverpool was once a very, very rich city and if you go to the right parts the legacy of that is there for all to see.

Okay, you don't get quite the same level of culture and ethnic diversity as you would in London, but then you largely get to avoid the midnight traffic jams, congestion charges and horrendous house prices.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Where do you live Chaz?...I lived in Childwall (nice part of town).

I live in Aigburth near the Cricket Ground, Rodney. 10 mins from the airport and 15 minutes to town. South Liverpool is very civilised but I am not denying there are major problems in some parts of the City. But Liverpool did the UK proud during Capital of Culture year (WSS I assume did not visit). Only by highlighting the problem areas will they be tackled so I don't mind the publicity from the likes of Secret Millionaire but it should be balanced by the positive.

I spent Millenium Eve in Aigburth. My mate was djing in a very small wine bar there.
  • Options
    Personally exiled I'd love to live near the Pennines. Indeed my Uncle's just moved up there after 60 odd years in Barking and his health and life has obviously improved hands down. Don't think people on here are saying that the North is a universal shithole just that the deprivation is ghetoised and hellish in the worst side of town. Liverpool's a great city but after visiting Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford and Manchester I was shocked at how extensive the deprived areas are surrounding the city. In London if you want to get out there's opportunities to get a job, post-industrialisation great swathes of Northern cities and towns didn't even have that luxury.
  • Options
    great city. lived there for 4 years (year in allerton, two years city centre and a year in kensington). going to a party in lark lane after the leeds game.

L8 was always moody but any city will have it grim parts. got a lot of scouse mates, prefer em to mancs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]great city. lived there for 4 years (year in allerton, two years city centre and a year in kensington). going to a party in lark lane after the leeds game.

L8 was always moody but any city will have it grim parts. got a lot of scouse mates, prefer em to mancs.

Well said Les. Manchester now there is a total basket case of a city!

Back to Liverpool. Lark Lane & Allerton Road are now great alternatives to the City Centre. Handy for me as I can pretty much walk to/from both especially after a few beers.
  • Options
    I know what you mean Col, but it's not as grim up north as some like to think (and I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular), but you do get a general sense sometimes that people think an away trip north of Watford requires catching a steam train and getting a Cholorea (sp?) vacination.
  • Options
    I had the misfortune to go out with a scouse bird who lived up to pretty much all the wrong'un stereotypes!
    Nasty place quite frankly
  • Options
    The chap who runs the Daisy group for disabled people is a truly inspirational character. What a bloke!