Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maryon Wilson Park

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
My Granddad used to live next to Maryon Wilson Park. He used to take me and my brother and sister there whenever we visited him. Magical place.

Anyone else have any memories of Maryon Wilson Park?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Is that the one with the deer?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Is that the one with the dear?
    Yes - there's a deer enclosure
  • Options
    We lived round the corner in Rideout Street in the 50's until we moved to Abbey Wood.
    I was 5 when we moved away but I have some vague memories of our dad taking us there.
  • Options
    Yep, got me bike nicked there as a kid, they swarmed from the slopes like swallows and amazons, fckng bstrds.

Other than that, yeah used to take my kids there to see the animals, was lovely when it had little streams everywhere.
  • Options
    Said on here before that im sure one morning i saw deeer in the park by the level crossing at Charlton (down the roadfrom the RO), if there are deer in Maryon Wilson then its not that far from the two sites.
  • Options
    as Kinveachy Gardens backs onto Maryon Wilson it's fair to say I have great memories growing up, playing football there every night in the summer after tea till the sun went down

(mind you if it was close we generally played on even in the pitch black till called in by Mum)

a little hidden gem IMO

great place for parents to take their kids at the weekends to see the various animals
  • Options
    I love the sound of that place when walking through it. A real little beauty spot.
  • Options
    Pretty sure it's where a lot of Blow Up, the 1966 film starring David Hemmings, was made. In the opening shots, when he's driving, you can see a Woolwich Road sign if your quick.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Pretty sure it's where a lot of Blow Up, the 1966 film starring David Hemmings, was made. In the opening shots, when he's driving, you can see a Woolwich Road sign if your quick.

that's Maryon Park (over the road with the tennis courts) not Maryon Wilson
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Pretty sure it's where a lot of Blow Up, the 1966 film starring David Hemmings, was made. In the opening shots, when he's driving, you can see a Woolwich Road sign if your quick.

And Jeff Beck smash his guitar up in the scene with The Yardbirds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks kinveachyaddick, I knew it was one of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

as part of the greenwich film festival they showed the film in the park this summer.

that's all.
  • Options
    theres supposed to be a link with the coat of arms for Maryon Wilson and our badge I once heard, never managed to track it down tho
  • Options
    (mind you if it was close we generally played on even in the pitch black till called in by Mum)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn''t it. You know. Small boys, jumpers for goalposts, last goal wins, one boy has been called in for his tea, beans on toast?? Don't quote me on that. Enduring image.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

Supposedly they had to spray paint the grass green for the film.

More info on the film: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0060176/
  • Options
    nothing wrong with the grass in Maryon Park mate - had some epic games there when the Kinveachy boys took on Heathwood's finest
  • Options
    the real football was played at the back of charlton house.
  • Options
    Used to get taken there when I was a kid up until I was about 4 or 5, I do remember the deer and the streams but not a lot else really...we moved to Abbey Road in 1964/5 from Ogilby St flats
  • Options
    Ahh, but the real football at the back of charlton house was against the foreign exhange students. Then quite usually a tear up after
  • Options
    Lived in Samuel St, loved both Maryon and Maryon Wilson parks -the nearest we got to going to the Country!

Was at the filming of Blow Up in 1966 - was 5 !! My neighbour (girl of 8) took me to watch!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One heavy snow fall in the mid 80's meant it was great fun going down the grassy banks on old dustbin liners, old sledges.

One family turned up with their skis, and one of the kids went smack into one of the trees with his first attempt. Not long later the ambulance arrived.
  • Options
    To those of you who have fond memories of Maryon Wilson Park, can you take time to sign this petition as the Council look set to cut the funding of this lovely little park.

I know there are more important cuts being made, to which a lot of you will be affected, but it does bring a lot of enjoyment to the local community. Think of kiddies enjoyments. There are not many places like this.

Maryon Wilson
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowup

if for nothing else it gave us the wonderful film blow up.
    and put South east London on the map.

*Note for Henry .. there is a young Jimmy Page in the film with Jeff Beck in the concert sequence, just before he joined the Zep......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]To those of you who have fond memories of Maryon Wilson Park, can you take time to sign this petition as the Council look set to cut the funding of this lovely little park.

Hi Curb_it....... I've signed the petition.

Maryon Wilson Park is something really special. If you haven't been there, go and see it for yourself.
    And if you have small children, they will think it's magic!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]the real football was played at the back of charlton house.

OMG...I remember that playing at the back of Charlton House. Lovely surface but would get chased off by the parkies.....
  • Options
    Thanks Oggy and a few other names i recognise on there. Please keep signing people. It really is a lovely little place.

Maryon Wilson
  • Options
    I think petitions count as one objection? If so I wouldn't mind writing an individual letter
  • Options
    I too have fond memories of Maryon Wilson Park. I lived in Kinveachy Gardens which as Kinveachyaddick posted above backs onto the park. I spent many happy hours on the flat area at the back of the Kinveachy houses playing football. Incidently one of the two story plus basement houses that backed onto the park was used as digs for some of the Charlton youngsters. I was good mates with Mike Franklin who was a youth goalkeeper who eventually went on to make about half a dozen first team matches under Theo but was released when Andy Nelson came I think.
  • Options
    Would get the 122 bus from the Yorkshire Grey, get off at Woolwich Common, then walk to the ground via Cemetry Lane and Maryon Wilson Park, from the age of about 11 to 16. Remember walking through there after a (night) league Cup game against West Ham in the 70's, a large group of West Ham supporters were in front of my mate and me, as we walked past one of them grabbed my Charlton scarf, swung me round and I landed in a ditch, they then started kicking me, obviously I got up pretty damn quick and my mate and I ran all the way through the park, we thought we were being chased, in fact only 1 of them gave chase, he must have thought that the rest of his mates were also chasing us, when he realised he was on his own, his face was a picture, my mate and I spontaneously jumped on him and gave him a kicking. It wasn't big and not clever, I know that but he did bloody deserve it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I was good mates with Mike Franklin who was a youth goalkeeper who eventually went on to make about half a dozen first team matches under Theo but was released when Andy Nelson came I think.

Off-topic, I know, but Mike Franklin ....

... managed Catford Invicta for a while when I played for them.

Marvellous club. If you were selected to play on the Saturday you were informed via a postcard from Alan, the club secretary. It was an anxious wait on a Thursday and Friday morning sometimes.