Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Long Throws

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Is Luke Young our only provider of these? I thought HH could deliver them. We had plenty of opptunities in the first half down the right for some, but kept it short and kept losing the ball.

Comments

• Options
    worry about long throws, Sankofa can't take a throw full stop.

Looked like he was holding a medicine ball above his head.
  • Options
    Dear everyone who isn't Charlton, stop it
  • Options
    This happened in August:

Blackpool 1 Barnsley 0 match report: Injury time own goal from Scott Wiseman sees Blackpool take late win
    Defender was unlucky to deflect a last minute long throw into his own net and give Paul Ince two wins out of two

Jack Robinson, slayer of dreams, has just turned 20.
  • Options
    I thought Blackpool really used the long throw as a weapon and that the defence and particularly Hamer dealt really well with them , he must have punched or claimed at least half a dozen
  • Options
    It was the most boring part of today .... about sums Ince up
  • Options
    Don't have a problem with it if it doesn't hold up play. The player taking the throw having to cross the field of play to do so really winds me up. Didn't they once find that Stoke / Delap took 15 minutes a game ? That's a scandal. I personally think that there should be a 15 second limit from ball going out of play until the throw is taken. Rule change needed but won't happen because it doesn't happen much in continental Europe where teams like to retain possession rather than the more direct approach adopted by the shite coaching in this country.
  • Options
    Turns a throw in into a corner. Real advantage to a team that has that player. But yeah I agree, should definitely be a time limit.
  • Options

I thought Blackpool really used the long throw as a weapon and that the defence and particularly Hamer dealt really well with them , he must have punched or claimed at least half a dozen

Thought Stephens was immense in defending these today. Wonder if SCP instructed him to drop in there for the long throws
  • Options
    Thought I remember Wiggins could do a throw, before he was injured. BTW, place a player right on the line, facing and in front of the thrower, sure to distract the thrower.
  • Options
    Waste of a man if you do that I think. Plus the thrower would just run straight through you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There aren't many players who can throw a ball as far as whoever Blackpool had doing it, or at least not so fast and with good precision! He managed to get them into the box with frustrating consistency, though I thought we defended against them well. Most 'long throws' are sort of lofted through the air, at least when Charlton take them, but yesterday they were very useful as an attacking method.
  • Options
    DA7 said:

Thought I remember Wiggins could do a throw, before he was injured. BTW, place a player right on the line, facing and in front of the thrower, sure to distract the thrower.

You might be thinking of Green or Hollands, both of those have long throws
  • Options
    Thought we dealt with them very well, particularly Stephens. Despite a large number of them, Blackpool didn't create anything of note.