Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA want sin bins

Beggars belief this

sepp blatter only a week ago or so said diving is fine and then you get FIFA wanting to introduce sin bins for diving and feigning injury at the World Cup, Regardless of whether u think its a good idea or not how can the 2 big football bodies be so far apart

How the hell is Blatter still in his job

Comments

• Options
    Rubbish idea, it works in contact sports like rugby and ice hockey where there is a lot of physical contact that spills over but isn't worth booking or sending players off for, but in football there are yellow and red cards, suspensions as well as on-field things like free-kicks and penalties.

I wish they'd stop messing about with the game.
  • Options
    my point is though how can the 2 big football bodies be so far apart.

also do think all this bollox they are bringing in - 5 match officials, sin bins etc is there way of trying to delay what virtually every body wants and that is technology to be used in football to aid the refs.

asking refs to decide whether a player is play acting feigning injury will just leave them open to systematic abuse again when they get it wrong.
  • Options
    Agreed that sin binning for diving is absolutely ridiculous but, overall, I think it could be a good idea. There have been countless games ruined by an early sending off. What is everyone's opinion of having a sin bin for 15 minutes for players that are sent off?

Obviously when someone is sent off they would receive the normal one game ban, but for every subsequent yellow card they earn they are banned for a further game. For me, this idea has two clear advantages:

*Games are no longer ruined by an early sending off (half of which always seem to be debatable anyway).
    *There is higher excitement during the 15 minutes the player is sin binned because the team with the one player advantage know they only have a short time to make the advantage count.

Let the slating commence...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: errbody[/cite]Agreed that sin binning for diving is absolutely ridiculous but, overall, I think it could be a good idea. There have been countless games ruined by an early sending off. What is everyone's opinion of having a sin bin for 15 minutes for players that are sent off?

Obviously when someone is sent off they would receive the normal one game ban, but for every subsequent yellow card they earn they are banned for a further game. For me, this idea has two clear advantages:

*Games are no longer ruined by an early sending off (half of which always seem to be debatable anyway).
    *There is higher excitement during the 15 minutes the player is sin binned because the team with the one player advantage know they only have a short time to make the advantage count.

Let the slating commence...

the more I think about it, the more I like that idea
  • Options
    Serious foul play, violent conduct should still be a straight sending off. For the lesser red card offences, e.g. deliberate handball, professional foul, second bookable, foul and abusive language I think a sin bin would be a good idea. Diving and feigning injury should be a yellow.

That's my opinion.

See your point as well Ledge. Blatter has always been a dick and Platini is no better. I'm sure he keeps his job in the same way that Thai civil servants and police stay in the top positions: brown envelopes in the right direction.
  • Options
    Imagine if you got sin binned for something minor and the opposition scored during that period... imagine the rollicking you'd get from your boss and team mates? might make them think twice.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: errbody[/cite]There have been countless games ruined by an early sending off.
    Always makes me smile this one. Sendings off don't ruin matches, players who get themselves sent off by their own actions (with very few exceptions) do.
  • Options
    you could just get sin binned for a yellow card then sent off for a red, this would avoid multiple offenses from the same player
  • Options
    I think you'd have to or it won't be much of a deterrent at all
  • Options
    Of all the lessons football could learn from other sports, this isn't one of them. At a time when players are seriously lacking respect for match officials, fans and even each other, surely the sin bin is inviting players to further manipulate the rules of the game. By this I mean it could encourage players to further undermine the referees' auhtoirty by knowing that they will only miss 15 minutes rather than the rest of the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: errbody[/cite]There have been countless games ruined by an early sending off.
    Always makes me smile this one. Sendings off don't ruin matches, players who get themselves sent off by their own actions (with very few exceptions) do.

I agree entirely, but as I said, at least half of all sending offs seem to be debatable. Maybe the idea of a 15 minute sin bin could even out the (possibly) bad decision by the referee and the unlucky team will feel less aggrieved? Its not a coincidence that the term "that's a bit harsh" is so often used to describe a sending off (especially those after two yellow cards).

[cite]Posted By: FTP[/cite]you could just get sin binned for a yellow card then sent off for a red, this would avoid multiple offenses from the same player

Although a well intentioned idea, I cannot agree with this at all. Imagine a feisty game with multiple yellow cards, it could end up being 7 against 9 or something ridiculous like that and the referee would have a hard time remembering who needs to come back on and when (I mean Graham Poll couldn't even remember how many times he booked a player).
  • Options
    It doesn't matter what rules FIFA et al bring in, all the while we have inept referees making the decisions, the real controversy of them getting it consistently wrong will always be the main blight on the game...
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Maybe it could be sin bin for a second yellow, red for your third. Straight red would be reserved for serious foul play/voilent conduct. Straight sin-binnnig for foul and abusive language, etc.

It's all well and good having a go at referees, but until players and managers stop deliberately cheating bad decisions will always be made. And by deliberately cheating I include all of the following:
    diving
    claiming a freekick when you know it wasn't a foul, or shouldn't be your freekick
    claiming a throw when you know it should be yours
    claiming a corner/goal kick when you know the opposite is true
    feigning injury
    going down too easy under a tackle
    stealing yards at throws/free kicks

There is an attitude in football that the laws of the game are there to be bent, ignore and broken as much as you can get away with, and until that changes decisions will always be made incorrectly. Imagine a court case where all the vast majority of the evidence is fabricated and every witness lies, would you blame the judge for making the wrong decision?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]Maybe it could be sin bin for a second yellow, red for your third. Straight red would be reserved for serious foul play/voilent conduct. Straight sin-binnnig for foul and abusive language, etc.

It's all well and good having a go at referees, but until players and managers stop deliberately cheating bad decisions will always be made. And by deliberately cheating I include all of the following:
    diving
    claiming a freekick when you know it wasn't a foul, or shouldn't be your freekick
    claiming a throw when you know it should be yours
    claiming a corner/goal kick when you know the opposite is true
    feigning injury
    going down too easy under a tackle
    stealing yards at throws/free kicks

There is an attitude in football that the laws of the game are there to be bent, ignore and broken as much as you can get away with, and until that changes decisions will always be made incorrectly. Imagine a court case where all the vast majority of the evidence is fabricated and every witness lies, would you blame the judge for making the wrong decision?

Are you a Rugby fan?
  • Options
    Blatter seems to retain his job on the basis of one crap idea after another. It seems that's all he's there for.
  • Options
    well it certainly started a debate.......

I personally think Blatter is frickin nob of the highest order and have no idea what he is still doing in a job, but saying that I think that about absolutely everyone who is in 'power' except JFK of course who got shot for trying to ddo somethng for the people...... hang on off topic........

Yeah hes a dick........

Sin bins would universally change the game, the tactics, strategy and it would be hopeless unfair...... no one on Manchester would ever get sin binned and the advantage would be too big for a small battling side to do anything about......

I say NO!
  • Options
    A sin-bin would be a great idea for football to get rid of these bloody stupid early sending-offs which wreck the game for everybody.

In addition, I think that two yellows should NOT mean that your team goes down to 10 men but only that the player in question is then out of the game and replaced by a substitute. If you have used all your subs then that's too bad.

For a professional foul the attacking team should get a penalty rather than the defender being sent off.

Sending offs ruin the game and should only be in place for violent offences.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]no one on Manchester would ever get sin binned and the advantage would be too big for a small battling side to do anything about......

I don't agree at all, players from the big sides receive just as many bookings as those from smaller sides. I can see where you're coming from because there is the belief that it is impossible for an away side to win a penalty at Old Trafford but bookings against Manchester United players are completely different and you cannot compare the two.

[cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

In addition, I think that two yellows should NOT mean that your team goes down to 10 men but only that the player in question is then out of the game and replaced by a substitute. If you have used all your subs then that's too bad.

The problem with this is that the objective of a sending off is to give the other side an advantage to compensate them for a misdemeanor (for example, a foul committed when an opposing player is one on one with the keeper). If sending offs were replaced with an immediate substitution that advantage would no longer exist and, in fact, the offending team might get an advantage from bringing on a fresher player.

This is why, in my opinion, a 15 minute sin bin for a sent off player would work. Firstly, it would give the fouled against side an advantage. Secondly, it would increase the excitement in the game with the side knowing that this advantage will only exist for 15 minutes. Thirdly, the sending off won't entirely ruin the game. Fourthly, the fact that each yellow the sin binned player receives when he comes back on would earn him an extra game banned would probably lead to his substitution anyway.