Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ESPN Advert

Anyone else get just a tiny bit irritated at the first words of their advert, i.e.
"I pledge myself to the Barclays Premier League"

Have I missed the point here? It seems to me it's supposed to be an evocative speech by a football fan rather than a global broadcaster and, as such, I think it totally misreads the attitude of football fans in this country. I don't think any fans in this country give two hoots about the "Bark-Lays Premier League", we all just care about 1) our own team and 2) quality football. That goes for everyone including the 'Big four' or five or whatever it is now.

Is this a case of a big american company misunderstanding british attitudes, or is it just me?

Comments

• Options
    good point - well made.

There was football and passion long before there was a "Barklees Premier League" and will be after it's long gone.
  • Options
    Not a misunderstanding - just a commercial play.

The EPL has sold its soul to money which has its pros & cons. Good - virtual global domination compared to NFL/NBA/other footy leagues, teams can afford the world's best players, fans get the best football entertainment on the planet and expats like me get a slice of England every weekend (EVERY EPL game, EVERY England game, several FA Cup games, even one Championship game per weekend, etc etc). Bad - companies want something back for their money hence the advert.

It started with shirt advertising in late 70s/early 80s, here we are now and there's more to come. The price to pay.
  • Options
    I know what you're saying Hong Kong, but my problem isn't with the globalisation of the game or anything like that. I just can't understand why some advertising bod thought the best way to get british viewers onside was to state an allegiance to a sponsor and it's chosen league. I can't imagine anyone in the country thinking 'Yeah, I pledge myself to it too.' More likely 'Er.....no....I pledge myself to Charlton/Man Utd/Burnley/AFC Wimbledon' (or whichever team is appropriate).
  • Options
    I pledge myself to Charlton athletic and the English football league
  • Options
    I don't like it but to be fair I think it is good advertising, clearly the people who will buy into this will not be the likes of us who see through the whole thing but the Man U fans sitting at home in Surrey who think "Yes I am a devoted fan I watch all the games on TV, I must purchase ESPN to watch all live games"
  • Options
    about 7 of my mates then lol