Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you want the big sides at the World Cup?

As the final WC qualifiers are starting I was wondering, do you want the big sides in South Africa in 2010? There's the possibility that one or two of France, Germany, Russia, Portugal or Argentina might not make it. I was listening to the radio today and one of the presenters stated that he would rather a WC with the likes of Argentina e.t.c, otherwise it makes the tournament less of a spectacle.

Personally, every time I see the potential for one of these bigger sides not to qualify I see England one step closer to fulfilling the dream and, therefore, would rather they didn't qualify. I'd be interested to see others' opinions...

Comments

• Options
    from an English point of view obviously the fewer so called 'bigger' nations that fail to qualify the better....however personally I hope they are all there. I love the World Cup and watch as many games as I can and would rather see the better teams.

can see your point though
  • Options
    But surely they are only the better teams if they manage to qualify.
  • Options
    correct, probably not worded my statement in the right way...
  • Options
    Sorry EA, I was being a bit pedantic. :-)
  • Options
    You just know that the Germans are going to be there, even if they have to get there via the play-offs. Russia v GErmany should be a good game to watch today. Apparently the local bar that I usually use to watch football has been inundated with Russian asking if the game is on. Think I'll avoid it and watch it here.
  • Options
    I'd be happy to win if we beat Congo, New Zealand and Vietnam en route to stuffing American Samoa in the final

the competition is about qualification as much as the tournament and everyone knows the requirements from the start. That said, the whole process needs rethinking because it's not necessarily the best team that make it
  • Options
    I will take great pleasure tonight if Argentina lose to Peru and if that posing ponce from Portugal does not make the finals either, just want to see them suffer.
  • Options
    Would we care if Man Utd, Chelski, Liverpool or Arsenal got knocked out of the FA CUP in the 3rd round, and we managed to get to Wembley, would we think it less of an achievement if we actually won it in those circumstance? we would dismiss it?

NO

As Swisdom said, qualification forms part of the tournament, tough tits if they dont make it.
  • Options
    The whole thing is about getting the big countries to the finals and then helping them through the stages towards the 1/4 finals. The initial group stages are all seeded and unless you have a mare you should get through or at least the play offs. Now all of a sudden these play offs are now going to be seeded, because some of the big boys could be drawn against each other.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Would we care if Man Utd, Chelski, Liverpool or Arsenal got knocked out of the FA CUP in the 3rd round, and we managed to get to Wembley, would we think it less of an achievement if we actually won it in those circumstance? we would dismiss it?

NO

As Swisdom said, qualification forms part of the tournament, tough tits if they dont make it.

exactly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a moan a while ago about how easy it is for Argentina and Brazil to qualify compared to "big" European teams. As usual, Argentina got themselves through an incredible FOUR POINTS clear of fifth place, despite winning less than half of their games. Add to this that even if they had lost their last game, they would still have secured fifth place and a playoff against the mighty.....er....Costa Rica.

Brilliant. Has anything ever been so weighted in favour of the big sides?

That's my last moan on this, but I am well peed off.
  • Options
    I think they'd have been in a playoff if they'd lost that game
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lordromford[/cite]I had a moan a while ago about how easy it is for Argentina and Brazil to qualify compared to "big" European teams. As usual, Argentina got themselves through an incredible FOUR POINTS clear of fifth place, despite winning less than half of their games. Add to this that even if they had lost their last game, they would still have secured fifth place and a playoff against the mighty.....er....Costa Rica.

Brilliant. Has anything ever been so weighted in favour of the big sides?

That's my last moan on this, but I am well peed off.

I was thinking the same but on the other hand it's a little bit like the Champions League wherein past success leads to more qualification places. If you look at how many times South American sides have won the World Cup then it's more understandable. It would be interesting to see how / if it would change if the next five World Cups were won by, for example, 2 African teams, 1 Asian team, 1 European team and the USA.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Come on Argentina and Maradona will be car crash tv next summer. Should be a right laugh.

The play-off's being seeded is ridiculous. Totally supported the qualification of the big nations. And agree qualification from South America seems an awfully lot easier than qualification from Europe. Hopefully ROI make it and NZ too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Come on Argentina and Maradona will be car crash tv next summer. Should be a right laugh.

Wouldn't bet on it. Had a dodgy qualification in 1985 and we all know what happened then.