Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palace: The Caring Club!

From this week's Surrey Mirror

"An embarrassed pensioner was turned away from a Championship football game because his walking frame was a ''fire hazard''. Sheffield Wednesday supporter David Keeble (77) from Redhill spent over an hour and a half travelling to the Palace ground taking a taxi and two buses to get there. But he was turned away because he didn't realise he was unable to sit in the stadium with his walking frame. He was unaware that he would have to sit in a pre-booked seat in the disabled area. ''I was really looking forward to the game but when I got to a turnstile one of the attendants stopped me, pointed to my frame and said ''Whoa, you can't go in there with that mate'' , and turned me away. I thought they were joking and told them that I had travelled all the way from Redhill but they told me my frame was a fire hazard and that I couldn't go in. Everyone was looking at me and I was so embarrassed I just turned around and got the bus back.'' When he spoke to Palace the next day they offered him tickets for the Blackpool game which he declined. When Wednesday heard about it they said, ''.........Palace run the home game and we have no say in how they run it, the circumstances were regrettable and we value our supporters wherever they may live. So I'm sure we can send David something or try to get him to a nearby game to cheer him up''. Unfortunately they won't be heading in this direction for a while!
Like to think we'd do more to help someone in that situation, especially as he turned up early as well , rather than the last minute when people are busy.

Comments

• Options
    He's lucky he even got to the ground, Palace fans usually beat pensioners up on the train!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    No surprise there.

The arrogance of the chairman personifies the club as a whole.
  • Options
    come down to the Valley any time mate, we'll make you welcome. Christ, I hate everything about palarse, arseholes, scum of the earth.
  • Options
    tbf just one of the stewards turned him away.

It seems an unfortunate story, but one that could happen at any ground, if he had gone to any senior steward, I'm confident it would have been sorted, as it says in the story, when Palace found out about it, they offered him tickets for the following game.

I just hope he'd paid for his ticket, as it's pointed out on here often enough, we need all the paying customers we can get.
  • Options
    I bet Jordan is livid about this one.

£30 he's lost there.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Someone obviously did a risk assesment and decided that the walking frame would spontaneously combust if allowed within 300 yards of a sunbed.....
  • Options
    Perhaps they didn't let him in as they thought he was their new star striker signed on a free so they wanted him to go in the other way?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]tbf just one of the stewards turned him away.

It seems an unfortunate story, but one that could happen at any ground, if he had gone to any senior steward, I'm confident it would have been sorted, as it says in the story, when Palace found out about it, they offered him tickets for the following game.

I just hope he'd paid for his ticket, as it's pointed out on here often enough, we need all the paying customers we can get.

Funny how you were less forgiving when it was our stewards : - )

What use is a free ticket to palace for a Sheff Wed fan.

Not as if they wouldn't have be acres of room in the arthur waite for him and an army of walking frames.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]Someone obviously did a risk assesment and decided that the walking frame would spontaneously combust if allowed within 300 yards of a sunbed.....
    I wish Jordan would spontaneosly combust. How is that metal frame a fire hazard when the wooden seats aren't?
  • Options
    And then.............the evil bastards offer him a ticket to THEIR next game ! the feckin stripey twats!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Atletico Addick[/cite]Perhaps they didn't let him in as they thought he was their new star striker signed on a free so they wanted him to go in the other way?

...perhaps he's on his way to the Valley then, to replace Izale.
    [cite]Posted By: soapy_jones[/cite]And then.............the evil bastards offer him a ticket to THEIR next game ! the feckin stripey twats!

We only wanted him back, so we could refuse him entry again.
  • Options
    Tickets for a Palace game?

Talk about adding insult to injury!