Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Halsey

Best wishes to Mark Halsey - I never knew.

CANCER-stricken referee Mark Halsey has astonished his colleagues by asking for a return to Premier League duty.

Halsey, who is having punishing chemotherapy, has begged refs' boss Keith Hackett to put him back in the firing line.

Hackett cannot oblige until the 48-year- old official has beaten the illness. But he was full of admiration when Halsey turned up at a two-day training camp last week.

"Mark just came in and did the training with the rest," said Hackett. "He's become an iconic figure for all the refs.

"He's actually asked me if he can come back right now, restarting as a fourth official. The answer is no because he has been out of the game for more than a month and would have to re-take the fitness test.

"You can tell the kind of guy he is by the fact that he sometimes rings me to apologise for not coming in - because he's having chemo."

Halsey, who was diagnosed with primary cancer of the lymph nodes in August, is involved in a family crisis, with his wife Michelle having already had treatment for leukaemia.

But Hackett added: "There's no moping and Mark is continuing to train. That's an inspiration for everyone.

"You should see the incredible number of messages he's had, many from top players including Wayne Rooney."

Comments

• Options
    Agreed best wishes. Seems a top professional and all the best to his wife as well with her own recovery.
    On a footballing note, never forget that he was the ref for 4-2 black sabbath.
  • Options
    In remission and looking to be back in February.

An inspiration and on Team Armstrong for sure!
  • Options
    Not only is Mark suffering from cancer but also his wife is trying to beat leukemia.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mark Halsey will referee his first game on Tuesday after winning the latest stage of his battle against cancer.

The Bolton-based official is to take charge of a reserve match between Leicester and Scunthorpe at Hinckley.

Halsey has been given the all-clear to return to the game following treatment for throat cancer after passing a rigorous referee fitness test.

The 48-year-old has been getting back in shape by training with Bolton at their base on the outskirts of Chorley.

It has been a difficult time for his family as Halsey's wife Michelle has been treated for leukaemia.

Halsey, who was diagnosed with the disease the day before the season started, told ITV's Granada Reports one of the first messages of support came from Chelsea captain John Terry.

He said: "When I found out I had cancer, I did not think I would be back refereeing. I thought that was it. I thought my career was over, but here I am.

"The chemotherapy hit me hard, it really did. I was quite ill. My throat was very sore but it is just getting back to normal. I've got no taste, though, but hopefully that will come back in time.

"I want to show people who suffer from cancer we can all beat this disease. It's for them. That's why I want to get back on the pitch."

All the best Mark....looking forward to seeing you back in the PL very soon indeed.
  • Options
    Good luck to him, it will be strange for the players he is officiating with, wonder how they willbehave.
  • Options
    Heard him on Talkprem - yesterday, brave man and I hope he gets well very soon.

Shocking ref though!
  • Options
    All the best and good luck to him tonight very inspriational
  • Options
    Yeah good luck and wish him a full recovery but a first class wan$%£ of a ref.
  • Options
    Just got to wish this brave bloke all the very best.

Nice one, Mr Halsey!
  • Options
    Back in action

Halsey

I wish him all the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    his game has just been called off !
  • Options
    Yeah I saw that.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Mr Halsey will be our man in the middle at Selhurst on Saturday. Always thought he was pretty decent, let's hope he doesn't change my opinion at the weekend.
  • Options
    our record with him as ref is abysmal. I think we lost about the first ten times he ever reffed us or something - might be an exaggeration from memory
  • Options
    Think he was in charge when we blitzed the Gunners at Highbury?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The best ref since Paul Durkin.
  • Options
    Never forgiven him for sending off Stevie Brown one evening at the Valley. Brownie stood his ground and the confused forward ran straight into him, but Halsey deemed it a sending off.
  • Options
    He is a shit ref

Glad he is better and in good health but shit ref from the games i have seen on the telly box
  • Options

Think he was in charge when we blitzed the Gunners at Highbury?

yep , he was - always remember because watching it on TV the close ups of him showed a few scratches on his boat race & wondered what he'd been up to the night before.........