Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
The new Sir David Attenborough and co. series on BBC at the moment. The BBC do show some cack (Celebrity Ballroom dancing anyone?) but when it comes to wildlife shows they can produce some truely incredible stuff.

This is what our License money should be creating more of!!

Comments

• Options
    Here here.
  • Options
    It's bloody expensive to produce though. Without the additional income from the phone votes on cack like Strictly we'd get even less of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]It's bloody expensive to produce though. Without the additional income from the phone votes on cack like Strictly we'd get even less of it.

Or perhaps the top brass could take a pay cut??
  • Options
    It is stunning. The quality of the filming is amazing and those monkeys breaking open those nuts was incredible ;-)
  • Options
    Looks fantastic in HD
  • Options
    If theres a piece on snails in toilets then im turning it off ;-)
  • Options
    Shooting this in HD would have cost a fortune
  • Options
    ''seals have teeth stronger than a lions and a jaw that can open 180 degrees''....as the cameraman dives in the water.
  • Options
    Ha ha Valleygary :-)
    I think you're safe on that one ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]It is stunning. The quality of the filming is amazing and those monkeys breaking open those nuts was incredible ;-)

Was rooting for the seal hiding behind the ice surrounded by the killer whales! Yea go seal, go!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought they'd got him, even the camera crew thought he was a gonner. Amazing to see him appear a few moments later..
  • Options
    At last, something on the telly that's worth watching, breathtaking to say the least.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]At last, something on the telly that's worth watching, breathtaking to say the least.
    The 'Lost Land of the Volcano' and 'Lost Land of the Jaguar' were awesome as well. The BBC truly makes some incredible television - just a shame it also makes so much utter dreck
  • Options
    Spectacular footage but not much of a central narrative. We went around the world and saw some animals kill each other but I could have done with more of a central theme, such as, say, nurturing instincts, how prey is identified etc. And the sound effects are over the top (anyone see any microphones in the making of thing at the end? No you didn't, it all gets put on later).

Good point re the phone lines paying for it. More so is tha this stuff can get sold around the world. That's because it's top class but only needs a voice over in whatever language and it's ready to go. It's lack of narrative means that episodes can be cut in two, joined together, whatever is needed to fill a slot.

Shooting in HD isn't hugely more expensive than standard definition, and cheaper than 16mm, which this stuff used to be shot in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]Spectacular footage but not much of a central narrative. We went around the world and saw some animals kill each other but I could have done with more of a central theme, such as, say, nurturing instincts, how prey is identified etc. And the sound effects are over the top (anyone see any microphones in the making of thing at the end? No you didn't, it all gets put on later).

Good point re the phone lines paying for it. More so is tha this stuff can get sold around the world. That's because it's top class but only needs a voice over in whatever language and it's ready to go. It's lack of narrative means that episodes can be cut in two, joined together, whatever is needed to fill a slot.

Shooting in HD isn't hugely more expensive than standard definition, and cheaper than 16mm, which this stuff used to be shot in.

Tonight was 1 of 12, so i imagine other episodes may have a central theme. It must be hugely difficult to get any decent sound as most camera shots are taken from a distance in order not to disturb the wildlife and events about to be caught on camera.
  • Options
    How anyone can argue Darwins theory of evolution after seeing the Capuchin monkeys wielding those rocks is beyond me! And, what the f**k were those flies about blowing air into their eyes! Bizarre!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]How anyone can argue Darwins theory of evolution after seeing the Capuchin monkeys wielding those rocks is beyond me! And, what the f**k were those flies about blowing air into their eyes! Bizarre!
    Yeah and they've probably only been doing it for thousands of years too...

Clever little buggers, them monkeys....
  • Options
    Liking the lizard that plays dead on this week's episode.
  • Options
    Wild Russia on National Geographic is quality viewing as well. Amazing in HD. 10pm tonight.
  • Options
    I agree that the Beeb makes some fantastic programmes like Life. Why oh why do they put it on at 9pm. I have Sky +'d it but this should be on at prime time instead of the dross like Deadenders!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought you were gonna say life sucks!
  • Options
    Feel bad for the buffalo :o(
  • Options
    Poor little buffalo :-(

Talk about a creeping nasty death
  • Options
    3 bloody weeks they stalked it! If i was one of the blokes with a stick i would of helped him only to realise when i see the dragons die that it is Nature :o(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]Spectacular footage but not much of a central narrative. We went around the world and saw some animals kill each other but I could have done with more of a central theme, such as, say, nurturing instincts, how prey is identified etc. And the sound effects are over the top (anyone see any microphones in the making of thing at the end? No you didn't, it all gets put on later).

Isn't the central theme survival and how animals have adatped their behaviour in order to stay alive. The rubber ball frog for example.

Have really enjoyed the first 2 episods. Agree with Bing, can't understand why it isn't on a bit earlier.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]

Isn't the central theme survival and how animals have adatped their behaviour in order to stay alive. The rubber ball frog for example.

Have really enjoyed the first 2 episods. Agree with Bing, can't understand why it isn't on a bit earlier.

I remember reading sometime ago that for example, last nights episode where the Dragons were killling the Buffalo would have be shown after the watershed due to the "violence" contained in the programme.
  • Options
    The meerkats falling asleep was priceless. Just like watching people do it on the train home from work.
  • Options
    Amazing pictures, especially the whales.
  • Options
    don't the Beeb produce and flog these sort of programmes abroad and actually make a profit?