Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

October---THE historical month

14th October 1066 ---------------battle of Hastings and the death of the last true King of England.People lay lowers on Senlac Hill where the battle of hastings was fought as the 8,000/10,000 Anglo- Saxons who died were never buried. William left the corpes and bones there for 10 years as a threat/reminder to the English.

then there is

Agincourt

and

Waterloo

all fought in October.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Battle of Waterloo was 18th June 1815.

1st Ypres begun in October 1914.
  • Options
    Trafalgar was October I believe
  • Options
    Sir Henry Irving. Died 13 October 1905

The 1917 October Revolution in Russia (although by our calender it took place in November)

[cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Trafalgar was October I believe

21st October 1805
  • Options
    Went in a local state comprehensive school with Henry jnr today and had a quick look at a history lesson for Yr 7s (1 years of secondary school in old money)

What were these 11 year olds being taught?

They were learning about the Battle of Hastings.

PC gone mad I call it : - )
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thats good to know though Henry.

maybe i mixed Waterloo and Trafalgar up ---one a tad more wet than the other.

reading agreat book about Nelsons navy/sailors at mo. I think a few of us wandering around parts of Greenwich/Deptford and Woolwich pissed up would have been real targets for the press gangs.
  • Options
    It is good.

He's doing World War II in junior school right now so they do get a good grounding in history.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I saw that a Union Jack flag is to be sold at action that was flown from one of Nelsons ships during the battle. It was with the family of the commander of the ship who live in Aussie. It is being sold here and the Maritime museum hope to buy it. Estimates are £10,000.
  • Options
    Still relatively recent but, in October 1987, hurricanes sweep southern England Thursday night into early Friday morning. Then, on the Monday, the great stockmarket crash. Ouch!!
  • Options
    It was only until I started doing GCSE history that we did Non-British stuff, and that was mainly the cold war which affected us anyway! We started off with the Romans then moved through to the second world war. One of my fav subjects at school and something I still have a slight interest in today.
  • Options
    October 4th 2008, Charlton beat Ipswich Town.

The last win for 19 games. Club record.

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    October 1986, Charlton win 6 consecutive games, while in the top flight First Division.

Lennie Lawrence wins Manager of the Month.
  • Options
    31st October - 331 B.C.E - the Battle of Thermopylae.
  • Options
    25th October 1854...the battle of Balaclava.
  • Options
    Battle of Edgehill - October 23, 1642.

Battle of Neville's Cross - October 17 1346.
  • Options
    17 October 2009: Red, White and Black day at The Valley
  • Options
    14 October 1940 - (Sir) Cliff Richard born
  • Options
    October 15 2009: logged on to Charlton Life.

;o)
  • Options
    20th October - the greatest ever Charlton Life Moderator was born.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]31st October - 331 B.C.E - the Battle of Thermopylae.

A great away win for the Britons :-)
  • Options
    Paul Miller, one of the Charlton heroes of The Battle of Stamford Bridge' born 11th.October 1959. Transferred to Watford after a spot of bother, 6th.October 1988.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Paul Miller, one of the Charlton heroes of The Battle of Stamford Bridge' born 11th.October 1959. Transferred to Watford after a spot of bother, 6th.October 1988.

He can't be younger than me ....... *shakes head in despair*
  • Options
    I see that Google and Wikipedia have been worked hard today!
  • Options
    24 oct........ the greatest Charltonlife Overseas Aussie consultant born......
  • Options
    1959 as well mascot?