Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kidbrooke: The billion pound solution

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
Kidbrooke in southeast London is home to one of Britain’s worst sink estates. The largely derelict 270-acre (109ha) Ferrier Estate site is home to hundreds of empty council properties and will cost Berkeley Homes, the housebuilder, along with its public sector partners, £1 billion to revive.

Full story from the Times Online here

Comments

• Options
    The news flats have as much character as they previous ones did. Anyone else find the modern new build flats a bit boring, small and over priced?

Great locations to develop though. A train station and leisure centre on your doorstep and not to far from the heath.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]The news flats have as much character as they previous ones did. Anyone else find the modern new build flats a bit boring, small and over priced?

Great locations to develop though. A train station and leisure centre on your doorstep and not to far from the heath.

Yes they look horrible after 10 years when all metalwork around them fades!! How them house by the O2 won so many awards I dont know. Everyone is moving into new technology but give me a tiled roof over this single ply stuff any time
  • Options
    It's been going on for decades now. All newbuilds go up too quick, not just flats. They are too small and look too regimented.
  • Options
    The buildings that make up millenium village look shit already.

as for the Ferrier i just wonder what Greenwich council will move back in once the refurb has been done.

a mate who lives there was rehoused in a house not far from the con club he loves it.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2009
    i lived on the Ferrier for over 20 years, the flats (enormous inside most of them) and the surrounding area are not the problem, it's whom they put in them, ie, in terms of some of the tenants. It was used as a dumping ground for the scum that could not find housing elsewhere, the majority of people I knew who lived there, were decent working class people, unfortunately, like any large estate, its the scum that drag it down, with the thieving, the graffiti, vandalism, drugs, stolen cars etc, many a time I had run ins with local knobheads, mind you, they didnt come back once we had met.
  • Options
    What will they do with the wat Tyler, has it still got a preservation order on it? I remember picking up some çhavs from there for our football team on a sunday years ago. Was it you DA9 or one of your cronies?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]What will they do with the wat Tyler, has it still got a preservation order on it? I remember picking up some çhavs from there for our football team on a sunday years ago. Was it you DA9 or one of your cronies?

Not me, might have been my Brother Matt?....was this for the Albert?
  • Options
    That's right it was matty, for Albert, where is he now?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]That's right it was matty, for Albert, where is he now?

Long story, works as a project manager for a lift company, officially still lives on the Ferrier, waiting on his move away, but currently at my mothers in Dartford, sadly, problems with er' indoors etc.

Still plays for a vets team at the weekends.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]It's been going on for decades now. All newbuilds go up too quick, not just flats. They are too small and look too regimented.
    I've got a mate who's brought a new build, all the walls are plasterboard and it's the size of a rabbit hutch. You get a lot more for your money with 80s/90s builds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's why I live in a house built in the 1970's
  • Options
    As a stack of glass shoe boxes go, not bad......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]i lived on the Ferrier for over 20 years, the flats (enormous inside most of them) and the surrounding area are not the problem, it's whom they put in them, ie, in terms of some of the tenants. It was used as a dumping ground for the scum that could not find housing elsewhere, the majority of people I knew who lived there, were decent working class people, unfortunately, like any large estate, its the scum that drag it down, with the thieving, the graffiti, vandalism, drugs, stolen cars etc, many a time I had run ins with local knobheads, mind you, they didnt come back once we had met.

I lived there too in the '80's. It was exactly as you say. However security in the low rise flats wasn't helped by weedy two-leaf front doors that gave way after a half-decent kick and balconies at the back that enabled easy rear-entry burglary. I was cleaned out twice, lost everything I owned, but with the insurance money put down a deposit on my first flat and have never troubled the state for housing since. Every cloud........

I was constantly being stopped by the police when I lived there but not once since I moved out. Talk about labeling.
  • Options
    Some pics of the dilapidated Ferrier.

Knocking down the Ferrier
  • Options
    Looking better already!
  • Options
    From what I hear most of the council cuts are going to be made through the funding to housing regeneration projects.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying a lot of the original residents came from Bermondsey slum clearence? Did I mention spanners, no I didnt.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Am I right in saying a lot of the original residents came from Bermondsey slum clearence? Did I mention spanners, no I didnt.
    Which raises the big question of where are they going to live next?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Some pics of the dilapidated Ferrier.

Knocking down the Ferrier

Those photos look like something i'd expect to see in run down areas of somewhere like Poland or Serbia, not England.
  • Options
    I'm actually going to be doing some work on the kidbrooke redevelopment.

Sadly the flats are generic styles mostly and just copied and pasted from other developments. Low carbon development is the way forward so these "new" technologies will be massively evident on these types of sites.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to 'visit' some bird who live ddown there, she was nice , the flat was nice ! the estate wasn't ! lol
  • Options
    Not to sure about Serbia but the 7 am train that stops at Kidbrooke from London is Via warsaw/ Slovenia/Bosnia.
  • Options
    According to the writer BBC London new have just done a special report on the evictions.
  • Options
    "On the plus side, the area is less crime-ridden than it was a few years ago, mainly because so few people now live there."

Brilliantly stating the obvious.
  • Options
    Was quite startled at those pictures. I have poignant memories of the place being built first time round. My dad was a wood butcher doing 2nd and 3rd fixing on the original tower blocks. He used to take me and my brothers in with him on a Saturday morning and let us run riot. He would probably be banged up for endangering his little cherubs today but back in 1970ish we were allowed to roam free.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What a sad day when this lot was built for the people of Greenwich.
    Having had the misfortune to have done a couple of photos on the estate, I really could not work out wether it was the people or the enviroment.

Having come from a council estate in Charlton mysel, I think I would have preffered to have lived in a tent,and by the sounds of it it would have been more comfortable!

I think that people deserved better than this!, just amazed that it took so long for the penny to drop from the council's perspective.

Of course some of the tennant's really did not help themselves or there community, I will just be glad when the last 'home' is demolished.

When I see a large detached house in Bexley Village being demolised for no reason other than the developer can build two on the site,for a large profit ( golden acre) you could weep!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ken, dont forget alot of people were moved in from outside Greenwich.they came from deptford and Bermondsey and the places they left were real slums. I still remember seeing some of those places in deptford that were held up with metal props on one side and had outside toilets that wouldnt have looked out of place in Dickens day.
    Was one of the reasons that Millwall started to appear in Eltham and Kidbrooke.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Not to sure about Serbia but the 7 am train that stops at Kidbrooke from London is Via warsaw/ Slovenia/Bosnia.

Slovenia is virtually crime free, absolutely beautiful, and with a standard of living we could only dream about, and if it wasnt for the unashamed racism it would be my favourite place to live.
  • Options
    Racist to whom?Bosnians,Croats Serbs, Italians?
  • Options
    From the article "Rosa Goncalves, a social entrepreneur"

?????