Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Allen Toussaint: Muso help needed

Allen Toussaint is one of those names I've heard down the years and know through stuff he did with other people (Little Feat and The Band etc) but know little about.

What's a good starting point for listening to his own stuff and what he has produced.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Probably a music forum :-)
  • Options
    isn't that what this is?
  • Options
    Henry, check out www.acerecords.co.uk. They have a great compilation by the great man, What Is Success, The Sceptor and Bell recordings. Superb stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If there was a music category on here people could then avoid it : - )

At the moment it is more fun talking about music on here IMHO than Charlton topics as any spark of happiness or pleasure I might try to take out of following the Addicks is being squeezed out by the constant "every silver lining has a cloud" postings on here.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Henry, check out www.acerecords.co.uk. They have a great compilation by the great man, What Is Success, The Sceptor and Bell recordings. Superb stuff.

Thanks. I knew you'd know.
  • Options
    See also, Irma Thomas, Benny Spellman, The Neville Brothers, Lee Dorsey, Ernie K Doe, The Showmen and The Meters. Just some of the great New Orleans artists he wrote and /or produced for.
  • Options
    I discovered him via Robert Palmer and Little Feat, a great and influential musician, released an album in April "The Bright Mississippi"
    and is playing in London in November.
  • Options
    Henry, you might want to investigate "The Toussaint Touch", 22 tracks produced by Allen, early 60s, issued on Shout Records RPMSH 211 and available at www.shoutrecords.co.uk
    (I'll admit to a bit of self-interest in this as I compiled the CD for lhe label back in 2001, and I'm now Label Manager)

Also Allen's own album Southern Nights on Warner, plus the wealth of material, as mentioned above, released by Ace on their Kent label.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If there was a music category on here people could then avoid it : - )

That's a pretty good idea!
  • Options
    Thanks guys

Forget the Supporters' Trust what we need is a music category.

That way all us sad obsessives can get excited over obscure muso subjects and leave the normals in peace : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Forum needs tidying up. Too much non-football stuff, too much contraversial topics, too many people looking to get a rise out of others, or indulge in petty pointscoring, and too many people not showing respect to other users, or the ethos of the site.