Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky: Charlton still need more players

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/4689292.Parky__Charlton_still_need_more_players/

Comments

• Options
    He is right, we have seen how much quality we lose in midfield when Semedo is not playing. Have been impressed with Wagstaff in recent weeks and Spring is not bad but if we were to lose 2 or 3 from the midfield we may be in a spot of bother!
    Also at the back when Dailly needs a rest, Llera is not flavour of the month so that could be an area Parky may look to strengthen
  • Options
    I was impressed with Lee Clark's comments about how he is seeking young players to build for the future, something I hope Parky takes on board if he brings players in. Dially, Llera, Burton and Sodje are all 30ish or more and it's questionable whether many of Parky's signings could play at a higher level. Ironically Dailly, who would be 38 is the only one who definitely could. Mooney is the type of player we need, together with young Prem rejects who may mature into decent players. It's difficult for Parky unless some of the £7m is given to him in January - let's hope the board have some ear-marked.
  • Options
    "I was impressed with Lee Clark's comments about how he is seeking young players to build for the future, something I hope Parky takes on board if he brings players in. Dially, Llera, Burton and Sodje are all 30ish or more and it's questionable whether many of Parky's signings could play at a higher level."

I understand where you're coming from Addickson, but surely the older heads were essential alongside our squad of home-grown youngsters. For free signings, he's done extremely well.
  • Options
    Agree Paddy, it's all about the balance. Youthful exhuberance to spur the oldies on, but a bit of experience to keep the young uns in check.

Currently Parky seems to be getting it just about right.
  • Options
    It's all ok, Dennis Wise has good South American contacts so there's no need to worry about where the new signings are coming from. Just ask Kevin Keegan.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Harsh Addickson's God to say that Parky "needs to take on board" from Lee Clark.

We needed a more experienced defence and Parky got one. Yes Dailly is near the end of his career but Llera and Sodje should be good for a few years yet. Can they play at a higher level? Not sure about Llera but Fraser and Sodje already have.

Richardson is 27 and Youga younger than that. Semedo, Sam, McLeod and Racon are all about 25.

And the squad also has Elliot, Randolph, Solly, Wagstaff, Basey, Mambo, Tuna and some kid called Shelvey.

Not really an issue about a lack of youth IMHO
  • Options
    I really think we should get away from the concept that bring players in means we splash out in the transfer market. There are enough players around, good ones at that, who are available on frees or maybe loans from Prem/Championship clubs. The cost issue is principally can we afford the wages/signing on arrangements.

Parky is right though, we do need a few more bodies in. If you look at the table now, Leeds obviously pose a big threat. Despite their defeat last night, Norwich have the bit between their teeth and will be a real threat. Huddersfield clearly are an excellent team and MK Dons as well. It's going to be a long season and we will need fresh legs etc during the season.